PDA

View Full Version : poppin vtec

azh22accord
06-08-2007, 06:33 PM
hey i was wondering if theres like a speacial sumthing u can put in a f23, that will make the vtec pop like a b16 of gsr. just wonderin.

Theory
06-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Does you car already have vtec? Idk much about accords. But i know if you dont have it you need a vtec block. Like on preludes if you want vtec on your h23 you have to put a h22 vtec head on it.

azh22accord
06-08-2007, 07:10 PM
yea it already has vtec... but i would like it to pop alot harder... i just wanna know if theres a special cam u have to put in it to make it do that.

RHDDonnieee
06-08-2007, 07:19 PM
lol get a vtec controller and set your vtec at like 6k or 6.5 k ...

on a side note ... the smoother the transaction of vtec the more power its making ...(so bacisally you dont want it to be loud )

azh22accord
06-08-2007, 07:36 PM
lol get a vtec controller and set your vtec at like 6k or 6.5 k ...

on a side note ... the smoother the transaction of vtec the more power its making ...(so bacisally you dont want it to be loud )

i do have a vtec controller. but its not hooked up. idk how to install it. idk what wires go to what... so im stuck.... and i couldnt set my vtec at 6500 cause it redlines at 6800. thats cause its a single cam.

DJ Hookid
06-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Since when does vtec "POP?"

azh22accord
06-08-2007, 08:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it really doesnt pop!!! but it sounds like it does.... because of the vtec lobes. do u drive a honda?

azteamextreme
06-08-2007, 09:07 PM
get a vtec controller

projectaccord
06-08-2007, 09:52 PM

i hear it alot with b series motors, especially when running it straight out of the header or cat lol.

jcvietboi
06-08-2007, 10:05 PM
yea it already has vtec... but i would like it to pop alot harder... i just wanna know if theres a special cam u have to put in it to make it do that.

u like $3.30 gallon gas do you...why you want to waste gas on vtec...lol dude i barely use my vtec...

azh22accord
06-09-2007, 02:20 AM
u like $3.30 gallon gas do you...why you want to waste gas on vtec...lol dude i barely use my vtec...

no i dont but... when i do use my vtec, i want a little more power...

jcvietboi
06-09-2007, 04:12 AM

welll you do what you love man...

azh22accord
06-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azh22accord

welll you do what you love man...

yea thats true. it is a rush

skabone
06-11-2007, 11:10 AM
if you want a pop, or kick in the pants just get some nitrious or something.

onefst91hatch
06-11-2007, 11:35 AM
get an aftermarket cam!!!! thats what your vtec is!!!!!! get a cam with more conservative primary lobes and bigger vtec lobes. then you will hear a more distinctive "POP" from your vtec engagement

owequitit
06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Sillyness.

Your VTEC is NOTHING like the VTEC in DOHC Hondas.

1) with DOHC VTEC, both intake valves open at low RPM's. Then at a specific point in the RPM range, the VTEC kicks in and both intake valves AND exhaust valves follow a 3rd high rpm cam lobe, leading to the distinctive POP and surge of power you are referring to.

You car does not do that.

Your car basically has one intake valve open fully at low rpm, and then at some RPM, VTEC kicks in and both intake valves open more.

The exhaust valves and their camshaft lobes don't change whether you are at 600 RPM or 6,000 RPM.

Seriously.

2) You could get a VTEC controller, and change the point that it switches, so that you can hear it better.

Of course that will make your car slower, so I am not sure why you want to spend money to hear that, but that is just me.

In an ideal world, you would never hear or "feel" VTEC kick in because there is a point where it would transition seamlessly.

Honda made it switch at a point that made it distinctive because they wanted people to be able to "feel" VTEC kick in. It was a marketing ploy.

You could get a cam if you wanted to, but without making other changes to maximize the gains from that cam, you aren't getting the full potential of the mod.

IMO, your most effective "pop" would be a 50 shot of nitrous.

azh22accord
06-11-2007, 05:57 PM
oh. i didnt know that the louder the pop, the less power was being delivered. thanks for all the info.

projectaccord
06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
It sounds awesome, and it saves gas, as long as youre not in it lol

owequitit
06-11-2007, 10:08 PM
It isn't necessarily that less total power is being produced.

What causes it to be slower is the fact that you have to delay the VTEC changeover to a higher RPM, so that you feel it rather than it changing at the best RPM which is where you don't feel it.

That means that you will be making slightly less power from the RPM that it SHOULD changeover (where you don't feel it) to the RPM where it does change over.

It might only be a couple hundred RPM, but in that little area, you are losing power.

Since performance in most cases is about the total power curve, you will probably be slightly slower with a higher changeover.

Moving VTEC changeover to the best point has been known to give slight improvements at the track.

Like I said, Honda did it the way they did on the "performance" VTEC engines, because they wanted people to know what they were paying extra for.

H22POWERDEG
06-12-2007, 12:21 PM
get some toda cams. or just gas it before vtec, that seems to work

goose6453
06-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Are U Guys For Real's About The V-tec Wasting Gas Lol
V-tec Its Made For Fuel Economy Not For Speed Yes Your Car Does Go Faster In The V-tec Stage But Speed Is Not The Purpose Of It The Purpose Of V-tec Is To Save You Gas

owequitit
06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Are U Guys For Real's About The V-tec Wasting Gas Lol
V-tec Its Made For Fuel Economy Not For Speed Yes Your Car Does Go Faster In The V-tec Stage But Speed Is Not The Purpose Of It The Purpose Of V-tec Is To Save You Gas

LOL!

The sole purpose of VTEC was actually to increase power output and still have a perfectly acceptable low rpm band.

It allowed less compromise between idle and top end power.

Also, VTEC increases airflow through the engine, when it opens.

Since we have to mix an increased amount of fuel with the increased amount of air, there is only 1 possible result.

In VTEC-E and SOHC VTEC form, it allowed for better emmissions and also for increased MPG in the part of the powerband that you operate most.

So it really depends on what form you are talking about as to what its purpose was.

DOHC VTEC came first.

H22POWERDEG
06-14-2007, 12:21 AM
LOL!

In VTEC-E and SOHC VTEC form, it allowed for better emmissions and also for increased MPG in the part of the powerband that you operate most.

So it really depends on what form you are talking about as to what its purpose was.

DOHC VTEC came first.
Hence secondary vtec (yes 2 vtec spool valves)
And I believe it was on the first vtec engine SOHC back in the day

Fox Vtec
06-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Hence secondary vtec (yes 2 vtec spool valves)
And I believe it was on the first vtec engine SOHC back in the day

for economy, the dualcam VTEC is designed for power.

"The VTEC system was originally introduced as a DOHC system in the 1989 Honda Integra and Civic CRX SiR models sold in Japan and Europe, which used a 160 bhp (119 kW) variant of the B16A engine. The US market saw the first VTEC system with the introduction of the 1990 Acura NSX, which used a DOHC VTEC V6 with 270 hp. DOHC VTEC engines soon appeared in other vehicles, such as the 1992 Acura Integra GS-R (B17 1.7 liter engine). And later in the 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC (H22 2.2 liter engine) and Honda Del Sol VTEC (B16 1.6 liter engine)." - from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC#DOHC_VTEC

Fox Vtec
06-14-2007, 07:12 AM
oh snap no i didnt!

H22POWERDEG
06-14-2007, 12:24 PM
hahaah i stand turned

gcboy90
06-14-2007, 12:30 PM
mmm cuz wikipedia is the MOST reliable source in the world

Fox Vtec
06-14-2007, 12:40 PM