PDA

View Full Version : Please Read! B16 Death!

I Hate Import Cars
06-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Okay boys, I need some fuckin help here...I just put a B16 into my EG and everything was going okay til about week 3. well let me put it this way; I put VERY hard rings in it for a particular reason, so I KNEW that it would take a while to seat them, and so the burning oil for the past 3 weeks (up to 6 quarts now) has rolled off my back without TOO much concearn. The back of the car has a lot of oil on it, but again, I figured it was just rings not seating all the way yet.

Then today on my way home from work, I look down in my mirror and see PLUMES of smoke out of the back of the car. I still have good oil pressure (80 psi) and coolant temp, but I wanna see what the fuck is going on. The back of the car now has WET oil ALL OVER IT. Suddeny it all clicks; oil EVERYWHERE, not just around the muffler. And WET. This fucker is LEAKING that much oil. I pop the hood and start looking all around, then I see it. A SOLID half quart of oil on and arould the VSS. Then I see that it's not from the tranny, but that everything from the bottom of the intake manifold down is oil soaked. Oil filter is tight, oil press guage port is tight. Charcoal canister has a fair amount around it. The "burning" I have been witness to is explained by seeing TONS of oil on my header collector. WHERE THE FUCK COULD THIS BE FROM?! As a side note, the charcoal canister is installed into the block, but the tubes into the top are not there. The intake side of them is just plugged off so as not to leak vacuum. I checked the oil level, filled the half quart it semed to have been low, and then started it. As I watched the area covered in oil, i revved it as high as the ecu would allow, (5000 rpm rev limiter when not moving, for launches. Thanks Joe :) ) and saw NOTHING coming out. I mean NOT A DROP. When I left work, I was in a hurry and revved to about 8000, (aka in VTEC). So it makes me wonder if that has something to do with it...oh, and the vtec solenoid is clean. Let me make this clear; judging by that, and the amount of oil on and around there, this thing is happening AT TIMES, but not ALL THE TIME, and when it does happen, it is POURING out! I'm fucking lost...I've never been so discouraged by a fucking motor I've worked with before in all my life. this makes me regret ever getting away from old school V-8 power and into this 4 cylinder business. PLEASE help restore my faith...

Type - O
06-11-2007, 08:57 PM
dang dude, maybe you have a leaking main seal, maybe i dont know. but im going to say a gasket leak. or hell maybe you have a cracked block.

I Hate Import Cars
06-11-2007, 09:03 PM
dang dude, maybe you have a leaking main seal, maybe i dont know. but im going to say a gasket leak. or hell maybe you have a cracked block.

Oh you FUCKER! I didn't even THINK about the block issue! but I don't think so...

91teg
06-11-2007, 09:13 PM
could it be the little black oil cooler box on the back of the block, under the intake manifold? arnt they made of plastic?

Type - O
06-11-2007, 09:15 PM
where did my post go? anywayi say clean off your block with a hose or whatever, start your car and see if you can see anything leak out. then drive, hit vtec, stop and then look to see if you can see where its coming from

onefst91hatch
06-12-2007, 01:06 AM
you could just be building up crank case pressue after you have been driving for a while since you PCV is not hooked up!!

I Hate Import Cars
06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
nope. crank case is being vented...already thought of that...

Type - O
06-12-2007, 12:32 PM
did you do what i said?

I Hate Import Cars
06-12-2007, 12:36 PM
ya but by the time it does it again, it's fucking everywhere. it looks to be coming from the charcoal canister but to me, thatjust DOES NOT make sense for THAT MUCH oil to come out of that thing...

Type - O
06-12-2007, 12:42 PM
well replace it and see what happens. cars can do some crazy stuff dude.

I Hate Import Cars
06-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm Debating just blocking It Off...the Motor Is Still Vented Through The Valve Cover Breather...

onefst91hatch
06-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm Debating just blocking It Off...the Motor Is Still Vented Through The Valve Cover Breather...

all stock engines have the valve cover AND a PCV valve. the spot on the charcoal canister is for the PCV. i would hook up the PCV and see if it still does it. its only a lil hose and a 5 dollar vavle. it couldnt hurt and should be hooked up anyways!

I Hate Import Cars
06-12-2007, 04:31 PM
all stock engines have the valve cover AND a PCV valve. the spot on the charcoal canister is for the PCV. i would hook up the PCV and see if it still does it. its only a lil hose and a 5 dollar vavle. it couldnt hurt and should be hooked up anyways!

TRUE, and I agree. However, that is currently not an option. I cannot reach the hoses to the canister...don't ask why, just know that I can't...any other suggestions?Am I right on this? That is just a vent ya? for excessive crankcase pressure? or am I TOTALLY missing something?

Type - O
06-12-2007, 05:54 PM
well im going to say whether you can or cant you should try to hook them up.

I Hate Import Cars
06-13-2007, 11:00 AM
K Think I've Got It Narrowed Down...i Need A Stock BREATHER BOX From A B16a2. Anyone? Anyone? ANY BREATHER BOX FROM AN OBD2 B SERIES WILL FIT I BELIEVE...I Have To Get This Done Soon, As I Am Driving The Car To Ca Next Friday!

advert
06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
wait, you said you have the black box but not the lines!? you know there is a line right under your intake mani that oil will just squirt out of if you dont have them hooked up.

@us10
06-13-2007, 02:46 PM
wait, you said you have the black box but not the lines!? you know there is a line right under your intake mani that oil will just squirt out of if you dont have them hooked up.

x2 that black box will hook up into the pcv if those are not hooked up you will have oil all over the engine fyi the charcoal canister is on the fierwall

@us10
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
ok check this black box -pcv - intake manifold just like that

Revhard2003
06-13-2007, 08:01 PM
K Think I've Got It Narrowed Down...i Need A Stock BREATHER BOX From A B16a2. Anyone? Anyone? ANY BREATHER BOX FROM AN OBD2 B SERIES WILL FIT I BELIEVE...I Have To Get This Done Soon, As I Am Driving The Car To Ca Next Friday!

Here you go man; it's the Illustraed Parts Breakdown and you can order it. Might as well get a new one. When I first started reading the thread that was the first thing to come to my mind (especially when you said under the intake mani) but you all figured it out already.

Goodluck with the fix and here is the link:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=DEL+SOL&catcgry2=1994&catcgry3=2DR+V-TEC&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=BREATHER+CHAMBER+%28V-TEC%29

All B16 breather chambers are the same so this should work no matter what B16 you have.

I Hate Import Cars
06-14-2007, 09:18 AM
wow. Thanks for all the responses guys (or girls maybe)...Here's the deal; that breather box is exactly what i'm talking about. The 2 vacuum lines that usually go into it have just been looped to each other so that there is not a massive vacuum leak...Now, because of some clearance issues, I had to smash the top of the box in by about 1/2 inch so the lines won't leak. So my thought is either A)I buy a new one, section 3/4 inch out of it and weld it back together, and extend those lines to reach it. Or 2)I just run a feed and return line from that hole in the block, into a catch can, and deal with it that way. I'm just wondering if I would need the vacuum to go to the catch can, as the factory breather had vacuum going to it...any thoughts?

advert
06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
wow. Thanks for all the responses guys (or girls maybe)...Here's the deal; that breather box is exactly what i'm talking about. The 2 vacuum lines that usually go into it have just been looped to each other so that there is not a massive vacuum leak...Now, because of some clearance issues, I had to smash the top of the box in by about 1/2 inch so the lines won't leak. So my thought is either A)I buy a new one, section 3/4 inch out of it and weld it back together, and extend those lines to reach it. Or 2)I just run a feed and return line from that hole in the block, into a catch can, and deal with it that way. I'm just wondering if I would need the vacuum to go to the catch can, as the factory breather had vacuum going to it...any thoughts?

there not vacuum lines. there is a hole on the bake of your block right under your intake mani that goes right into your block. with nothing there crank case pressure will cause it to squirt oil out everwhere all over the back of your block!

Revhard2003
06-14-2007, 11:29 AM
What clearance issues are you having; is there any way to get some pics of your problem? You should be able to just extend the lines going from you block to the breather so you can find a better location with some clearance. Just do not extend the lines to far.

*inFamous*
06-14-2007, 06:47 PM
i'll swing by if your still having issues when i get home.

Revhard2003
06-14-2007, 09:30 PM
What clearance issues are you having; is there any way to get some pics of your problem? You should be able to just extend the lines going from you block to the breather so you can find a better location with some clearance. Just do not extend the lines to far.

Alright scratch that you may be able to extend the hoses a bit; but the breather box has a big area which attaches to the block. You may have to cut it like you originally were planning on doing. That is going to be a pain in the ass cutting it down to size and then re-welding it back together.

Usually they leak from the top hose on the breather box; if you are just going to re-place it and you really want to make sure that is your problem use rtv or some form of sealant on the hoses and see if it still leaks. If it does not leak anymore then go ahead and swap it out with a new one - so you can get rid of the ugly rtv/sealant.

Hopefully your leak is just from the lines going from the breather box to the block; keep us posted on how the fix goes.

I Hate Import Cars
06-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Will Do. Thanks Guys

advert
06-16-2007, 12:26 PM
ok i found a pic. see that line if its not hooked up shit is just gonna spray out of your block.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/FrescoGreenEG6/CARS2046.jpg

I Hate Import Cars
06-18-2007, 10:17 AM
ADVERT I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is EXACTLY what is happening. But right now that line is hooked into the vacuum port from the mani that runs to the breather usually...so what does that mean? Where does that go to inside the block? And I think that manifold port is right in front of the #3 runner, is it not? That could explain why all my plugs but #3 look good, and #3 is oily, and it burns oil somewhat...It's like this one fix is going to answer 50 fuckin questions!

onefst91hatch
06-18-2007, 07:06 PM
ADVERT I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is EXACTLY what is happening. But right now that line is hooked into the vacuum port from the mani that runs to the breather usually...so what does that mean? Where does that go to inside the block? And I think that manifold port is right in front of the #3 runner, is it not? That could explain why all my plugs but #3 look good, and #3 is oily, and it burns oil somewhat...It's like this one fix is going to answer 50 fuckin questions!

this one thing wil cause alot of other shit to happen. just hook the one hose up like in the pic ADVERT posted. and hook the other one to a PCV valve then to the port in the intake mani and you should have no more problems!!

I Hate Import Cars
06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
ya, but what the hell does it go to inside the block? Why is there oil coming out of it?!?!

advert
06-18-2007, 07:47 PM

yea that box and the line on the back of the block go into a oil gallery. is what you are doing is sucking oil out of the block right now threw the line. and then the line that is not hooked up is just squirting oil out when ever you get on it cause of crank case pressure.

advert
06-18-2007, 07:47 PM

yea that box and the line on the back of the block go into a oil gallery. is what you are doing is sucking oil out of the block right now threw the line. and then the line that is not hooked up is just squirting oil out when ever you get on it cause of crank case pressure.

I Hate Import Cars
06-21-2007, 11:57 AM
so here's the update. Bought a new breather box, cut it open, took out about 1", then repositioned the baffles inside, welded it back together, and installed it. It's been two days and it's looking good so far! I'm gonna change plugs then drive to Long Beach tomorrow and see if I'm still oiling down #3...if not, there are the 50 questions all answered with the same fix! YAY! Thanks again for everyone's help and input on theis. I appreciate it. Now go to the EG page and answer my NEXT delimma about a hatch cargo light! :)

Revhard2003
06-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out! Enjoy the road trip!