PDA

View Full Version : axle seals

gcboy90
06-13-2007, 03:56 PM
i have a 91 Si hatch, which has an LS motor in it

it has been leaking oil,..... slightly, but enough
theres nothing leaking from the motor, cuz i fixed my oil pan gasket, which... yea stopped the leak a lot
but i notice that my axle seal isnt on.... at all!
idk wut to do

ILIKETODRIVE
06-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Which side?

Jack up the car on that side
Pull off the wheel on that side
Take off the castle nut that hold the lower ball joint on
Use whatever method you want to bust the ball joing loose: I prefer this (http://www.hudsonjewelrydesign.com/volvo/tie_rod_puller.jpg) because it's like $8 from Harbor Freight and works every time
Take out the lower fork bolt
Pry the axle out of the trans and swing it and the knuckle assembly out of the way
Take out the old seal (if there is one at all) and replace it with a new one by GENTLY tapping it in with a soft hammer (it's best to use a block of wood across the seal and hammer on that so that the seal gets installed evenly)
Re-install axle into trans
Re-install everything else in reverse order
Put car on ground
Drive

allmotorgsr
06-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Which side?

Jack up the car on that side
Pull off the wheel on that side
Take off the castle nut that hold the lower ball joint on
Use whatever method you want to bust the ball joing loose: I prefer this (http://www.hudsonjewelrydesign.com/volvo/tie_rod_puller.jpg) because it's like $8 from Harbor Freight and works every time
Take out the lower fork bolt
Pry the axle out of the trans and swing it and the knuckle assembly out of the way
Take out the old seal (if there is one at all) and replace it with a new one by GENTLY tapping it in with a soft hammer (it's best to use a block of wood across the seal and hammer on that so that the seal gets installed evenly)
Re-install axle into trans
Re-install everything else in reverse order
Put car on ground
Drive

nuff said... good call man:blunt:

noVtecHERE
06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Bravo!!!!