PDA

View Full Version : ls vtec quetion

JDMEG2
06-15-2007, 04:34 AM
so im planning to put a gsr head on my ls with pr3 pistons, but dont have cams for the gsr head so i was planning to get skunk2 cams wat would u guys recomend and would i need to do any head work or can i just throw the cams in the stock gsr head? and should i run a p72 ecu... and where would u guys reccomend to get this done at? (a cheap and reliable place) THANKS!!!

Type - O
06-15-2007, 04:38 AM
id say find some GSR cams on here, im sure theyll be cheaper then skunk2's. unless you want skunk2 that have a different profile. nextly i would find any OBD-1 vtec ecu, it doesnt really matter since you gotta tune it anyway. i may be wrong with this.

JDMEG2
06-15-2007, 04:52 AM
id say find some GSR cams on here, im sure theyll be cheaper then skunk2's. unless you want skunk2 that have a different profile. nextly i would find any OBD-1 vtec ecu, it doesnt really matter since you gotta tune it anyway. i may be wrong with this.

well since i need cams anyways so might aswell upgrade i was just wondering wat skunk2 cams would be good for my set up and wondering if i need to do any head work if i did get them...and yea probably get a obd1 jumper harness cuz its for my 97 teg...thanks for the advice :)

Type - O
06-15-2007, 05:02 AM
um. as far as head work you probably need stiffer valve springs and retainers for the high RPM speeds so you dont float a valve. as far as cams i guess it really depends on what you wanna do with the motor. be careful not to get cams that require super high compression like buddy club stage 3 cams. i personally dont know what cams are best tho sorry.

noVtecHERE
06-15-2007, 05:13 AM
for head work anything up will help but it is needed for power, if u upgrade the head with port and polish, combustion chamber work and such it will only make more power than b4, add full valvetrain, 5 angle valve job or just 3 way if u feel like not going all out, reseat new valves and replace seals, hot tank and clean up with some polishing and also level the head b4 u drop it on, then u have a less likely chance of it leaking... and as for tuning, use a b16 ecu till u get tuned and dont beat on it, with the gsr ecu u will end up in Vtec everytime u r on the freeway according to what tranny u r using of course, i recomend b16 just cause the vtec is higher, lower duty cycle is liked on the injectors so get some rc 310`s and tune it with basics and u will be running good and everything, with compression u should use cams like u said but get tuned... i would definately use 270`s or 310`s if u plan on using a stock b16 ecu, if u have a gsr they will run way rich cause a gsr ecu runs rich as it is... pick a good tuner...

Type - O
06-15-2007, 05:15 AM
dang tweek, chill. we dont wanna hurt him lol

noVtecHERE
06-15-2007, 04:43 PM
haterZ!

jdmEG-6
06-15-2007, 07:58 PM
samyo...lol just have anthony do it lol...

Acurazor
06-15-2007, 08:25 PM
With what your running, I'd recomend skunk stage 2's or just maybe some ITR or CTR cams with those pistons. I'd definetly upgrade the valvetrain if I were you. Get a good tune over at locash. You should be good.

JDMEG2
06-16-2007, 04:18 AM
um. as far as head work you probably need stiffer valve springs and retainers for the high RPM speeds so you dont float a valve. as far as cams i guess it really depends on what you wanna do with the motor. be careful not to get cams that require super high compression like buddy club stage 3 cams. i personally dont know what cams are best tho sorry.

thanks for the input =)

JDMEG2
06-16-2007, 04:21 AM
for head work anything up will help but it is needed for power, if u upgrade the head with port and polish, combustion chamber work and such it will only make more power than b4, add full valvetrain, 5 angle valve job or just 3 way if u feel like not going all out, reseat new valves and replace seals, hot tank and clean up with some polishing and also level the head b4 u drop it on, then u have a less likely chance of it leaking... and as for tuning, use a b16 ecu till u get tuned and dont beat on it, with the gsr ecu u will end up in Vtec everytime u r on the freeway according to what tranny u r using of course, i recomend b16 just cause the vtec is higher, lower duty cycle is liked on the injectors so get some rc 310`s and tune it with basics and u will be running good and everything, with compression u should use cams like u said but get tuned... i would definately use 270`s or 310`s if u plan on using a stock b16 ecu, if u have a gsr they will run way rich cause a gsr ecu runs rich as it is... pick a good tuner...

thanks for the help but not planning to use that much money wat u think about ls block with pr3 pistons gsr head skunk2 pro series stage1 with supertech valvesprings and retainer with ls tranny (thats all i have) obd1 jumper harness with p28 skunk2 chipped ecu

JDMEG2
06-16-2007, 04:22 AM
dang tweek, chill. we dont wanna hurt him lol

hahahah lol

JDMEG2
06-16-2007, 04:22 AM
samyo...lol just have anthony do it lol...

haha floppy

JDMEG2
06-16-2007, 04:24 AM
With what your running, I'd recomend skunk stage 2's or just maybe some ITR or CTR cams with those pistons. I'd definetly upgrade the valvetrain if I were you. Get a good tune over at locash. You should be good.

thanks but wat bout skunk2 pro series stage1 not planning to do nothing crazy i was gonna do those cams with supertech valvesprings and retainers...??? wat u think o and a tune after haha

Acurazor
06-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I have never really had much experience with the stage 1's. But from what I have heard they are a waste of money. Better off getting ITR or CTR. Since skunk2 is so expensive, I've heard you don't get what is expected out of those cams. You can probably find ITR or CTR cams for cheaper, and there is plenty of power to be made with those. If it were my car I'd definelty do the stage2's or CTR.

noVtecHERE
06-16-2007, 10:49 AM
i dont like the skunk 2 ecu`s because they run with a lot of sensors off and some gnarly fuel curves.. i dont really like them, they remind me of a ebay chip that someone did on a laptop without driving a car afterwords, i have seen them detonate on 10:1 compression so i dont know, ateast use a stock GSR computer, AFC, and some 310`s please...

mixxxwell
06-16-2007, 03:54 PM
if you need head work i can have it all done for you along with valvetrain. itll come port and polished along with a portflow valvejob. urn around time is 4 weeks shipped back to your door.

JDMEG2
06-17-2007, 04:11 AM
I have never really had much experience with the stage 1's. But from what I have heard they are a waste of money. Better off getting ITR or CTR. Since skunk2 is so expensive, I've heard you don't get what is expected out of those cams. You can probably find ITR or CTR cams for cheaper, and there is plenty of power to be made with those. If it were my car I'd definelty do the stage2's or CTR.

o really even the pro series stage ones? hmm...so wat all head work do i HAVE to do with the stage 2's do uknow? thanks again

JDMEG2
06-17-2007, 04:14 AM
i dont like the skunk 2 ecu`s because they run with a lot of sensors off and some gnarly fuel curves.. i dont really like them, they remind me of a ebay chip that someone did on a laptop without driving a car afterwords, i have seen them detonate on 10:1 compression so i dont know, ateast use a stock GSR computer, AFC, and some 310`s please...

haha ok no skunk2 ecu ill just run my gsr ecu, 310 injectors and vtec contorller? ok so would ls block b16a piston gsr head with skunk2 stage2 cams with supertech valve springs and retainer a good and reliable set up after tune??? hopfully decent speed as well haha thanks!

JDMEG2
06-17-2007, 04:15 AM
if you need head work i can have it all done for you along with valvetrain. itll come port and polished along with a portflow valvejob. urn around time is 4 weeks shipped back to your door.

so how much would it be for port and polish with portflow valve job?

Acurazor
06-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Upgrade your springs and retainers. Dual springs all around titanium retainers. Maybe a 3 angle since you'll have the head off anyway. That should be plenty to handle the extra lift. If you get skunk cams, just get the skunk valvetrain also.

mixxxwell
06-18-2007, 05:28 AM
so how much would it be for port and polish with portflow valve job?

its $500 for the port and polish +shipping so around $550 total. and the valve train is around $350

noVtecHERE
06-18-2007, 06:04 AM
with that setup yes it will be reliable, since u wont be going over 8k anyways so ya ull be good and if u want to get street tuned i am at tokyo all the time and street some of their cars and i could help u dial in those 310`s, if u evere need help on that end im there...

mixxxwell
06-18-2007, 10:57 AM
another good things would be to get everything balanced, shot peen the rods and add some rod bolts. for insurance

onefst91hatch
06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
i would say just run stock R valve train and some CTR cams. and have Tweek tune it. and definately get some 270 injectors at least. but with the stock R valve train and CTR cams you would build some real good power numbers. and stock R valve train will hold 9k rpm's all day. and at the minimum take the head to a machine shop and at least have it check to see if it needs a mill. you dont wanna get this thing all put together and have to take it back apart cuz your head gasket is leaking. just have the valve job done at the same time. i can get you a good deal on all that. it would be new valve guide seals, 3 or 5 angle valve job, and the head checked. pm me for pricing!