PDA

View Full Version : SOHC questions

jedediahd
06-28-2007, 11:58 AM
After a bunch of research, I have decided I want to play with my Y5 motor, keeping the crazy mpg, plus I am not looking for a screamer. I am not doing a z6 or y8 head, because I think the money is well spent elsewhere, plus, the y8 and y5 are te same head minus that the y5 has roller rockers, which means running a nastier cam without the beating on the vlave train. Anyway, i am learning as I go, and plan on doing a few different things, but have a couple questions maybe you guys can help with.

The ports on the head are the same between y5/8, is the intake mani the same size, or will I notice a diff with the y8 manifold? How do I get around the EGR valve issue?

As far as the ECU goes, will changing the ecu, or having it remapped take away the vtec-e? which is the reason I get crazy gas mileage.

I know, this isnt the motor of choice for power, but I want a little bit of extra scoot, and keep my 35+mpg....plus I think its neat to have something different than all the mini mes and stuff running around...talk shit if you want, but its inexpensive and economical, 2 things i appreciate more and more as I get older...

HEADSHOT
06-28-2007, 12:26 PM
what tranny are u running?? i can get you a severakl d series trannies. and many d series parts

jedediahd
06-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I already have an EX tranny, thanks though

onefst91hatch
06-28-2007, 12:44 PM
just get a Y8 manifold and a OBD2 - OBD1 jumper and run a chipped P28 ecu. change the O2 to a 4 wire instead if a 5 wire. get a good intake and header with a decent exhaut and have it tuned. it will run real nice. then have the vtec lobes of the cam reground and your car will run exactlythe same when not in vtec but alot more agressive after the cross over!

jedediahd
06-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Isnt there an issue with the y8 manifold not having the egr?

ILIKETODRIVE
06-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Isnt there an issue with the y8 manifold not having the egr?

Y5's have EGR?

jedediahd
06-28-2007, 04:12 PM
yes, I believe they do...

ILIKETODRIVE
06-29-2007, 12:31 AM
That's why I don't bother with stupid Y5's. :hi:

Hell, I don't like the Y's period. Worst oil pumps ever. Solid heads but terrible blocks. :type:

sohcisme
06-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Look on either honda-tech or turbod16. there is a big write up on the hx motor and all this stuff this guy is researching and doing to his. look for a write up by BENSE. I think they have some good potential and would have tried building up my Y5 but i already spent my money and time on a fully built Z6/A6 combo.

projectaccord
06-30-2007, 09:11 PM
i just put a skunk 2 intake mani on my y5. it was a pain trying to find the right way to wire the 4 wire o2 sensor though because it was universal. im running a p2p ecu now, and the crossover is pretty mean, but i dont run it that high anyways lol. doing this eliminated having my egr valve. but after doing it all, ive told myself ill never own another obd2 system lol. just jump it to obd1 and go from there. its way less sensitve and easier to deal with.