PDA

View Full Version : Random newb Qs..

j0oftheworld
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Anyone ever dropped a spoon built engine in their ride?
Will they build you 11,000+ rpm engines?? Japan/US?

What's the most common engine managment?? MS? Hondata?
How's Hondata to use/interface?

How tunable is the honda suspension? I see alot of LCA's and adj balljoints..
Pretty easy to have touring car susp settings w. travel and everything??

Just for fun.. How much would a CTR cost? preferably the EK(?) body style to import?
What's involved w. converting?

I'd love to have a really extreme track worthy hatch oneday.. Something to school the vettes with, ya dig?? Thanks for any help.. :)

anti-ricer
06-28-2007, 02:35 PM
:cool:

j0oftheworld
06-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I know there's some intelligent car guys on this board.. Maybe not replying from 1-3pm weekdays.. but I guess I'll have to do my own research and try to ask more specific questions?! I wouldn't want to start any decent conversations about cars here.. Can we change the title to "cyber stand-up auditions - today only"?? :P

I'm planning on selling my racecar and I've been entertaining the idea of a nicely built hatch. Some factors are keeping me from getting serious would lack of experience w. them, theft, how many POS cars are out there, and my ultimate intentions. Considering I really only want a Honda as a track bish.. why buy something cherry?

Finalizing opening a fab shop w. some friends and honestly getting pretty excited about it.. Need to broaden my scope. Mainly working on racecars but will also be focusing on making trick low volume bits from Al, Ti, etc..

My current car is only 115hp.. and I've passed plenty of vettes.. :)

So what's a 250whp, 11,000rpm screamer cost to build?? Running on management and "maybe" passing smog if possible!? Come on, I know I'm not the only one dreaming of this motor??
peace.

enigma94
06-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Anyone ever dropped a spoon built engine in their ride?
Will they build you 11,000+ rpm engines?? Japan/US?

Pretty sure their crate motors can be purchased in the US, i'm not too sure about the 11k rpm spec but i'm sure its possible.

What's the most common engine managment?? MS? Hondata?
How's Hondata to use/interface?

A lot of people use hondata, also crome if you cant afford hondata. I personally preffer Neptune though.

How tunable is the honda suspension? I see alot of LCA's and adj balljoints..
Pretty easy to have touring car susp settings w. travel and everything??

Honda's have a very easy suspension set up, nothing like german cars. If you want a good ride you're going to have to pay for it like all things. There are several suspension set up avaliable that allow you to adjust ride height and preload seprately which is what i would suggest.

Everything else such as LCA's are just to tweak the suspension a bit, and some for a little show.

Just for fun.. How much would a CTR cost? preferably the EK(?) body style to import?
What's involved w. converting?

CTR's run around 16-20k in the states, but thats for the cars that havle been imported, i'm not too sure about the actual importing cost itself.

I'd love to have a really extreme track worthy hatch oneday.. Something to school the vettes with, ya dig?? Thanks for any help.. :)

Hondas are great track cars if you know what you are doing, i've seen amny a honda take out some domestic muscle on the track.

enigma94
06-28-2007, 03:24 PM
So what's a 250whp, 11,000rpm screamer cost to build?? Running on management and "maybe" passing smog if possible!? Come on, I know I'm not the only one dreaming of this motor??
peace.

There have been plenty of people do it, My friend had a 258 HP eg hatch(92-95) with a 2.0L b18. It was definately fun to drive. Approx cost was probably around 11k with the price of the car.

bryans_k20
06-28-2007, 03:38 PM
I know there's some intelligent car guys on this board.. Maybe not replying from 1-3pm weekdays.. but I guess I'll have to do my own research and try to ask more specific questions?! I wouldn't want to start any decent conversations about cars here.. Can we change the title to "cyber stand-up auditions - today only"?? :P

I'm planning on selling my racecar and I've been entertaining the idea of a nicely built hatch. Some factors are keeping me from getting serious would lack of experience w. them, theft, how many POS cars are out there, and my ultimate intentions. Considering I really only want a Honda as a track bish.. why buy something cherry?

Finalizing opening a fab shop w. some friends and honestly getting pretty excited about it.. Need to broaden my scope. Mainly working on racecars but will also be focusing on making trick low volume bits from Al, Ti, etc..

My current car is only 115hp.. and I've passed plenty of vettes.. :)

peace.

You kinda vague, well a little more than kinda sometimes. Anyways I'll try and help you a little bit. A hatch is a great place to start for a track car, actually probably the best IMO. I personally like the egs best but the eks are nice too. Suspension is easy, many companys make great suspension kits for all different types of driving. Some good companys to look at and research for suspension are; Omni-power, Tein, PIC, BC, and Ohlins. Brakes are also very easy and all over the place, plus the some of the oem stuff is just fine or even better. Some have swapped nsx brakes on there civics and that works great, though kind of expensive. As for the engine, why do you want a spoon. No doubt the spoon engine would be a good engine but you could build more power for less, and does it really need to rev to 11k, is 9k or 9.5k not enough. Well if I were you I would just through a k20 in my hatch. You would be getting newer, better, and more pwerful engine. You could go k20a2, get kpro, some cams and valvtrain, good i/h/e, maybe have the oil pump opened up, and you could easily spin 9-9.5k. Not only that, you would already have around 250hp with a good little 6-speed tranny to back it up. Or you could still go b-series b/c the swapping part is easier and it might be a bit cheaper but it is gonna be a lot harder to make the same amount of power, plus you'll be down grading to a less exciting 5-speed tranny. So inconlusion, find a nice rolling chassis, clean it strip it down, throw a cage in it, some nsx brakes, omni race suspension, k20 semi built on a good tune, and some decent tires and you will have a little track monster!!!:clap:

sssmokin05si
06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Maturity of the majority of Honda owners shined through in the beginning of this thread. He's just a new guy with questions, geez.

Thank God Trine actually gave him some legit answers.

RicoD
06-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Maturity of the majority of Honda owners shined through in the beginning of this thread. He's just a new guy with questions, geez.

You know darn well had this been Honda Tech he would have been flamed or told to search.

fivesfe
06-28-2007, 06:06 PM
i think a k series would answer your questions

j0oftheworld
06-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the replys.. I obviously wasn't trying to start a flame war! They cracked, I cracked back.. the internet didn't stop running! :D

I had an ITR but it remained pretty much stock besides intake/exh. Sold 4 house. :(
I know Tage so I've seen a VERY well built track EG and would be completely happy w. his setup.. seems he's had problem w. the B series so the new K's sound interesting as possibly the new B?

Here's my vette killer: :)
http://gallery.competitiveparts.com/albums/album79/race_015.jpg

Chiodos
06-28-2007, 06:21 PM

i took care of those posts!

You know darn well had this been Honda Tech he would have been flamed or told to search.

well good thing this is AZHT huh....

bryans_k20
06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
i think a k series would answer your questions

Yah thats what I told him, just it was a little longer answer.:tongue: "K is the Way"

j0oftheworld
06-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Hows your Eg + K setup? Hondata? Mod stock computer?
These all wrecked RSX engines, or jdm k's?
Decent trq too.. nice! :)

bryans_k20
06-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Hows your Eg + K setup? Hondata? Mod stock computer?
These all wrecked RSX engines, or jdm k's?
Decent trq too.. nice! :)

Yah you could wait and play the looking game and try and find a motor from a wrecked rsx or new civic. Or you could order one from a company that imports r's for about 5k. Yes I use hondata, krpo is great and very easy to use. And yes, the tq #'s are great, especially for a honda motor.

enigma94
06-29-2007, 01:12 AM
For a cheap track car a K is definately out of the question. If you do it the right way the swap, including the JDM type R motor it will run you close to 11k and then you're still only sitting at 220hp and thats not even at the wheels.

I love K's as much as the next honda fanatic but until they become cheaper to swap i'll stick with my b18 and watch the guys with twice the money into their swaps eat my dust.

bryans_k20
06-29-2007, 01:44 AM
For a cheap track car a K is definately out of the question. If you do it the right way the swap, including the JDM type R motor it will run you close to 11k and then you're still only sitting at 220hp and thats not even at the wheels.

I love K's as much as the next honda fanatic but until they become cheaper to swap i'll stick with my b18 and watch the guys with twice the money into their swaps eat my dust.

Your right they are more expensive but not everyone has spend 11k, and it sounded like money was not a problem, I mean he wanted a spoon engine. But seriously everyone says a k-swap costs 10-11k, thats totally wrong. If you buy a type-r, then have a shop do all the work and install, yes it will run you about 11k. But if you part everything out and do the labor yourself you can cut that cost in half, I did. Totall I have spent $6,600 on my swap, and I have some very good parts, and thats even including me buying 2 blocks b/c I got screwed on one. But I shopped around for everything and found the very best deals. My setup should hopefully give me about 210-220 to the wheels and around 180 ft/lbs. Thats not bad, not bad at all especially considering the tq #'s. So you see you can do a k-swap fairly cheap if you want. I mean I didn't spend twice what you did, and I deff. wont be eating your dust.:tongue:

Here is a quick break down if you want to do it cheap, you do all the labor of course and will have to shop for the parts:

hasport mounts- $450
swap harness- $280
swap header- $300
k24a1- $900
k20a2 head- $800
k-pro- $800
fuel setup- $150
tranny(6-speed)- $800
swap axles- $250
shifter box/cables- $150
intake- $120

^^Right there that all adds up to 5k even. You may or may not need a few more small things, and some things you could even find cheaper, thats just what I spent on most eveything. Now that setup is good for about 200-220hp and 170-190ft/lbs. Not bad for only 5k, plus you have much more room for mods, and a newer better setup. Get some cams, valvtrain, a good header and a good tune and this setup could see 250-260hp and 200-210ft/lbs real easy. Thats untouchable by any b-series, you would need pistons and everything to try and see #'s close to that. One more thing, with the 6-speed tranny many guys see about 36mpg on the highway and 30 in the city, again untouchable by any b-series.

I Hate Import Cars
07-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the replys.. I obviously wasn't trying to start a flame war! They cracked, I cracked back.. the internet didn't stop running! :D

I had an ITR but it remained pretty much stock besides intake/exh. Sold 4 house. :(
I know Tage so I've seen a VERY well built track EG and would be completely happy w. his setup.. seems he's had problem w. the B series so the new K's sound interesting as possibly the new B?

Here's my vette killer: :)
http://gallery.competitiveparts.com/albums/album79/race_015.jpg

You know what's funny? When I'm reading about this way killer fire-brething moster that handles like a dream that you're talking about trying to build, all I could think of is Tage's EG...kinda random. I think you have very attainable goals here, as long as you can get away with blowin TONS of cash on the project...and no, I don't know anything about Spoon's engines. Sorry.

Tage
07-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Jason, just buy an EG that already has a B-series VTEC engine. They can be found for around $5k give or take a couple G's. Even a stock B16 hatch will feel like a rocket compared to your Spec Miata. :)

As you have the time/money then you can build a 2nd motor or B20 block. God knows that if you're shooting for a super high redline that you're going to need a "spare motor".

FYI - I would much rather have motor that makes 250WHP at 7-8K RPM vs a 250WHP motor that makes the same power at 10-11K RPM. The low rpm motor will be more reliable and a heck of a lot cheaper. Anything over 9500rpm will need some wicked (and expensive valvetrain). I'd also expect the higher redline to require much more frequent rebuilds. I can't imagine a 1.8 or 2.0L spinning to 11K and still making power. My guess is their 11K screamer is a 1.6L or even destroked B-series to 1.5 or something with some wicked cams and headwork with ITB's and it only makes power between 7-11K. It doesn't sound like a very fun car if you get caught in the wrong gear. The series that run extreme redlines is typically due to the fact that they're limited to a specific displacement. If there's no restrictions on engine displacement. Bigger is better! Go for a B20, K20, K24, etc.

P.S. This made me laugh --> Some good companys to look at and research for suspension are; Omni-power, Tein, PIC, BC, and Ohlins. I'm not bashing the guy I just think the comparison between Omni and Ohlins is pretty funny. That's like saying hey if you want to check out some high performance cars you should look into a Honda Civic Si, Integra Type-R, RSX-S or maybe a Corvette C6 Z06. NOTE: Ohlin's are WAY more expensive vs the other examples listed, that 's all I'm saying.