PDA

View Full Version : Causes of uneven wear of brake pads?

rushbuster70
06-30-2007, 11:36 PM
What causes this???I was supposed to have this issue fixed last time i forked out 300 bucks to a brake "specialty" place but yet its still doing it.wtf???

Oh yea by the way...its my driver side brakes...the inside is worn but the outside still has plenty of meat left...

hawaii_DA6
07-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Honda Motor Co. uses floating Calipers on the front and rear of their vehicles. Meaning there is only one Piston in each caliper, and on one side only. the inside caliper half.

To put this in an easy understandable way; this means that with the application of your brake pedal, fluid will push your one caliper piston per corner, twared the Rotor, creating friction between the inner pad and your brake rotor. This force will simultaniously pull the caliper in twared the vehicle, creating friction on your outer brake pad at the very same time with almost identical force.

Now, these two or more peice Calipers are held together by pins on which the caliper half which houses the outer pad, slides on. These guide pins need to have grease in the holes and a tiny little dust boot to retain the grease and keep moisture/ debrees out. Over time, it is a possibility for a Caliper to seize the sliding pins to the sliding caliper half. Now, what you have is piston to pad pressure being applied to the inner pad and the sliding caliper half cannot pull the outer pad in to use the friction material of that outer pad. So what you will see, Is pretty much what you have: the Inner pad wears and the outer looks like it is not even being used = because its actually not.

You can try and free the caliper yourself by pulling them appart and sliding them in and out of eachother, and reapllying grease. But if this fails to work, your only other option is to replace the caliper, and in most cases, the opposite side as well.

rushbuster70
07-01-2007, 12:08 PM
should i get this fixed or just put new pads in since i wanna trade my car in around january???

hawaii_DA6
07-01-2007, 01:19 PM
well, it really isnt good for your hub and wheel bearing, not to mention that this can cause a severe brake pull to your passengers side. but it is totally up to you. if it were me, id just suck it up and buy a new set of oem calipers. better safe than sorry. This is of coarse if freeing it yourself doesnt work.

rushbuster70
07-01-2007, 06:58 PM
or anyone wanna do it and i'll pay you????its a 7th gen civic if it makes any difference...

I Hate Import Cars
07-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Honda Motor Co. uses floating Calipers on the front and rear of their vehicles. Meaning there is only one Piston in each caliper, and on one side only. the inside caliper half.

To put this in an easy understandable way; this means that with the application of your brake pedal, fluid will push your one caliper piston per corner, twared the Rotor, creating friction between the inner pad and your brake rotor. This force will simultaniously pull the caliper in twared the vehicle, creating friction on your outer brake pad at the very same time with almost identical force.

Now, these two or more peice Calipers are held together by pins on which the caliper half which houses the outer pad, slides on. These guide pins need to have grease in the holes and a tiny little dust boot to retain the grease and keep moisture/ debrees out. Over time, it is a possibility for a Caliper to seize the sliding pins to the sliding caliper half. Now, what you have is piston to pad pressure being applied to the inner pad and the sliding caliper half cannot pull the outer pad in to use the friction material of that outer pad. So what you will see, Is pretty much what you have: the Inner pad wears and the outer looks like it is not even being used = because its actually not.

You can try and free the caliper yourself by pulling them appart and sliding them in and out of eachother, and reapllying grease. But if this fails to work, your only other option is to replace the caliper, and in most cases, the opposite side as well.

Well done, my good man. :)

hawaii_DA6
07-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Gotta educate.

more power to the people!

:bananaman:

rushbuster70
07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
anyone wanna replace the caliper and my brake pads for me????i have a ruptured achilles and cant do any sort of work...let me know