PDA

View Full Version : 98 Civic DX Headers

SlowLS
07-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I put some headers and downpipe from a hatch, i dont know what year, but they fit. the problem is on the 98 dx's the cat it attached to the factory exhaust manifold, so right now i'm running with out. now the factory header had 2 O2 sensors, one before the cat and one right after, Can i splice the wire of the O2 senser that i'm not using and connect it to the one that i am using to make the Check Engine Light go off?:d3:

onefst91hatch
07-02-2007, 01:38 PM
NO!!!! dont splice 02 wires. just get a cel fix.

projectaccord
07-02-2007, 01:40 PM
haha like chris said dont do it bro. and i thought only the hxs (y5) had the stock manifold with the cat in it.

projectaccord
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
or you could just get a cat from an ex, and extend your secondary o2 sensor to run underneath the car, and put it after the cat.

onefst91hatch
07-02-2007, 01:49 PM
or you could just get a cat from an ex, and extend your secondary o2 sensor to run underneath the car, and put it after the cat.

thats what i would do!

SlowLS
07-02-2007, 02:01 PM
thanks for the info, i think i'll just do that.

jedediahd
07-02-2007, 02:17 PM
can an aftermarket header be run on this car?

projectaccord
07-02-2007, 03:56 PM
can an aftermarket header be run on this car?

yep. as long as you get the right header for the motor application. (as long as it for the series motor, b, d, k, ect...)

mooshin
07-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Can i splice the wire of the O2 senser that i'm not using and connect it to the one that i am using to make the Check Engine Light go off?:d3:

NO. The ECU determines the Oxygen/fuel mix by reading the voltage level from the sensor. I'm sure you can guess what splicing them together would do to it. Bad idea!

yep. as long as you get the right header for the motor application. (as long as it for the series motor, b, d, k, ect...)

I think he is referring the fact his car is a Y7 and has the cat built into the header from the factory. It really is not about finding the right header, because in theory I don't know any manufacturers who wanted to mess with building a header as a replacement for a Y7.

He needs to find a header for a D series, and get an street-legal aftermarket cat or one from a D18Y8 along with the B pipe.

blackouthx
07-03-2007, 04:03 PM
yep just get a cat with an O2 bung and call it a day. I have a Y5 (Hx) and ran with out a cat and had a cell until about a couple weeks ago....I just had to splice my primary sensor because the extension harness that came with my header was for a 4 wire and the hx has a 5 wire wideband sensor.......well good luck

onefst91hatch
07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
or just get a cel fix and weld in an 02 bung and fuck a cat. lol

projectaccord
07-03-2007, 06:23 PM
yep just get a cat with an O2 bung and call it a day. I have a Y5 (Hx) and ran with out a cat and had a cell until about a couple weeks ago....I just had to splice my primary sensor because the extension harness that came with my header was for a 4 wire and the hx has a 5 wire wideband sensor.......well good luck

mine doesnt have a 5 wire wideband ;)

blackouthx
07-04-2007, 03:35 PM
mine doesnt have a 5 wire wideband ;)

Are you sure....what year is your car and is it an hx....As far as I know all obd2b hx's have it.....I have a 00 hx with a 5 wire primary..

projectaccord
07-04-2007, 04:53 PM
^it had a 5 wire, but now that i have a skunk 2 intake mani, the egr valve is gone, and i have to have a 4 wire to get rid of the check engine light.

blackouthx
07-04-2007, 05:24 PM
^it had a 5 wire, but now that i have a skunk 2 intake mani, the egr valve is gone, and i have to have a 4 wire to get rid of the check engine light.

Okay makes sense now....so hows that IM working out for you, I was thinking about getting one but I read up on the horror stories of hx's not running right and throwing code by doing this....

mooshin
07-04-2007, 05:29 PM
He has a DX. Not an HX

projectaccord
07-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Okay makes sense now....so hows that IM working out for you, I was thinking about getting one but I read up on the horror stories of hx's not running right and throwing code by doing this....

i have an hx. its working alright right now. i need to put the right cat back in it though cuz both o2 sensors are before the cat, and its throwing a code for it. it needs to be tuned, but i dont have access to a timing light right now, so i just drive it easy lol. it was a pain in the ass bro believe me. ive never heard of anyone trying it either, or giving up in the attempt. believe me i almost did, but then got some help from a buddy.

blackouthx
07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
yeah hx's suck to mod but im glad im not the only one attempting this lol....any other mods youve done......all ive got is a CAI, dc 4-2-1 headers, high flow cat, and exhaust. Kind of scared of doing anything else to my beast of an engine (was a joke) so im just gonna focus on the suspension until I save up for a swap....

and to the original poster sorry about the thread jack....

projectaccord
07-04-2007, 06:27 PM
just the same stuff you have done to yours bro. i have minor suspension stuff done, but im gonna sell it soon. no more obd2 systmes for me. theyre way to sensitive to do anything. thats why alot of people convert to obd1. now that i think about it i think youve seen my car. correct me if im worng but i met you and a buddy of yours to check out his cb7.

sohcisme
07-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I would try and get a regrind cam since the hx head has roller rockers and can handle an agressive cam. Then it would be faster. Search on google or honda-tech for a thread by bense he is build a sick ass Hx motor and every one with D16Y5's are all interested. check it out

blackouthx
07-05-2007, 05:04 AM
Oh....im a dumbass , yeah we have seen eachother before lol....any luck on getting a buyer for your civic.....

And thanks "sohcisme" ill check it out....

projectaccord
07-05-2007, 05:25 PM
ive had a few offers for it, but im not gonna do anything until the title gets here, which should be around a week or so... hopefully.