PDA

View Full Version : Failed Emissions - PLEASE HELP- 88 crx Si B18

fmx_dbc
07-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I recently tried to go through emissions and failed. I was just over the limit on hydrocarbons and just over on co2. I have a b18 with stock exh. manifold, cat back exh.
Anyone have any helpful tips that would help me pass and get this thing registered??? I would REALLY appreciate it! Just installed new axles and control arms and need to pass by the end of the month. Thanks!

Daddy_Digital
07-03-2007, 06:39 PM
91 octane gas, change ur spark plugs and wires be4 u go, and put some rubbing alcohol in the gas tank. a tune up helps too. OH last thing..u wanna have ur car a cool as possible. my brother works as a california smog inspector and they are more strict in cali than here in AZ

fmx_dbc
07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Im gonna make sure that my timing is correct today and I bought some stuff called RXP in a small bright orange bottle with yellow label at Auto Zone. You think that might help???

Fox Vtec
07-03-2007, 06:50 PM
sure

GNU
07-03-2007, 07:33 PM
pull a fuel injector, waa laa your golden

fmx_dbc
07-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Please explain the whole pulling the fuel injector thing... I don't know how that works.

allmotorgsr
07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
when u pull an injector, one of the cylinders isnt getting fuel at all, therefore there are only three cylinders putting out hydrocarbons so your numbers will be lower. but a near stock honda motor should pass all day long anyway. find out y ur throwing too many hydros otherwise ur just putting a bandaid over a bullet wound. just my .02 :blunt:

fmx_dbc
07-04-2007, 07:44 PM
SO Im kinda new to workin on these Honda engines and everything. This is my first honda. What might cause my motor to be throwing out a higher level of hydrocarbons and co2??? I'm gonna check the timing and replace the plug wires. The plugs were recently replaced. Any other help you might be able to give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

allmotorgsr
07-04-2007, 08:07 PM
SO Im kinda new to workin on these Honda engines and everything. This is my first honda. What might cause my motor to be throwing out a higher level of hydrocarbons and co2??? I'm gonna check the timing and replace the plug wires. The plugs were recently replaced. Any other help you might be able to give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

just check the basics.
ignition is a good place to start.
ur not getting a complete burn prolly either because
ur running to rich or ur spark is weak.:blunt:

fmx_dbc
07-04-2007, 09:42 PM
i think its weak spark because its hard to start when the engine is cold. I have to crank it over for a few seconds before it fires up. Is that a clue? If so what might that be suggesting? Thanks!

18c
07-06-2007, 06:37 AM
spark plug wires, plugs! make sure you gap your plugs right! a worn distributor cap could also be the problem. Lots of times if your car is stock then its just small things. The worst could be your cat, i was always under the impression you wanted to make the cat as hot as possible? If you have time, run some sea foam through your car, i had a hard ass time passing because i had a hollowed out cat and didnt know it. It should pass easily if everything is working properly, so something isnt right.

hawaii_DA6
07-06-2007, 09:19 AM
pull a fuel injector, waa laa your golden

Lucky they only do 3 Gas analyzer's here and not a 5 gas. If you did that, they would lagh and send you home. your O2 reading would be off the scale. Not to mention its a bad fix.

fmx_dbc
07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
I drove the car to a friends house and kinda went over a few things with him. He said that it sounded like one of the valves wasnt working properly. There is a slight bobble when listening to the exhaust at idle speed. Any suggestions??? info???

fmx_dbc
07-09-2007, 11:00 AM
bump bump

fmx_dbc
07-15-2007, 11:19 AM
nothing???