PDA

View Full Version : ??? just lowered my ek

rabb77
07-07-2007, 01:23 PM
well i just lowered the car, no camber kit, the car feels tighter, the steering wheel is now straight. it drives straight and doesn't wander anymore, so should i still get an alighnment or wait and see. since it feels a lot better i don't want to mess with it..

pic for views
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j315/rabb77/lowered2.jpg

my99ctr
07-07-2007, 02:44 PM
get a camber kit an than get an alignment

rabb77
07-07-2007, 03:12 PM
get a camber kit an than get an alignment

still not sold on the camber kits, i had a 91 ef lower than this, i just got the toe adjusted, and i put over 4500m miles on it and there was no exess wear.. but i will get the alignment.
but it feels better than when it was stock.. and i don't want to lose it..

projectaccord
07-07-2007, 04:58 PM
its pointless to get an alignment without a camber kit cuz the camber will still be off. get the kit, and then the alignment. but make sure you get it done by a shop who works on lowered cars so they know that theyre doing.

RhdRicheeee
07-07-2007, 05:30 PM
nice

rabb77
07-07-2007, 05:55 PM
its pointless to get an alignment without a camber kit cuz the camber will still be off. get the kit, and then the alignment. but make sure you get it done by a shop who works on lowered cars so they know that theyre doing.

I don't want to start this again.. but it's the toe that causes tire wear, camber can contribute, but it's toe that can cause the most damage, and i used to run vw's with more camber than what is on the car now and no tire issues..

but i don't drive much and i am taking it in for an alignment. and camber helps cars handle better on corners as well..

projectaccord
07-07-2007, 06:09 PM
well then get the alignment, but youll still have camber wear. i was giving my point of view from it. do what you like bro gl.

onefst91hatch
07-07-2007, 09:04 PM
i agree with projectaccors. my buddy had an EK hatch and he lowered it then got an alignment and he was going through tires like every month just from camber wear. so its worht the $150 for camber kits IMO! but its your car do what you want!

azteamextreme
07-07-2007, 09:13 PM
nice

JDM_SLO
07-08-2007, 02:18 AM
cool

sohcisme
07-08-2007, 07:30 AM
It looks good, yeah listen to everyone and get a camber kit.

projectaccord
07-08-2007, 07:57 AM
just trust us bro were looking out for you.

MichaelKnight
07-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I dont know if you can tell but this the only decent tire I kept from the prev set prior to me installing a camber kit.(this was the rear - the fronts were on wire) The toe-in just eats them up and your gas mileage sucks.

Also, my buddy got a skunk camber kit and the second day after installing it, he swerved to avoid some dumbass and crashed his shit into a curb doin like 40 and now he has to replace the entire front and rear suspension, when he could have spend 90 bucks to have an alignment.

ADS in Chandler has like 4 alignment machines and will have your sh-t straight.

If you drive like I do, which is fast all the time, don't mess around with the sh-t that can get you killed. ;)

Your sh-t looks tight.............now finish the game

projectaccord
07-08-2007, 11:57 PM
^so are you saying he shouldnt get a camber kit?

MichaelKnight
07-10-2007, 06:04 PM
^so are you saying he shouldnt get a camber kit?

Negative Cheese, but I can see in my prev post it might seem that way.:smoke:

Also, my buddy got a skunk camber kit and the second day after installing it, he swerved to avoid some dumbass and crashed his shit into a curb doin like 40 and now he has to replace the entire front and rear suspension, when he could have spend 90 bucks to have an alignment

You need both. The new Upper Fronts and Upper Rears to adjust the angle of camber / / \ \ also see: "The Butterfly Effect"

Now once you get the camber lined up I I I I
your alignment needs to be adjusted :clap:

As Rabb77 said:
I don't want to start this again.. but it's the toe that causes tire wear, camber can contribute, but it's toe that can cause the most damage, and i used to run vw's with more camber than what is on the car now and no tire issues..

If you do not adjust the alignment after adjusting your camber, you will literaly feel the toe-in while driving. like your dragging the front wheels along. Not only will you have costly tire wear (do not buy new tires until you correct this) you increase you risk of losing control of your car while making any large/sudden turn of your wheel. i.e. :pissed:

Sure you can "operate" the vehicle,:roll: but the risk is a potentially serious (expensive if your lucky) accident.
+Plus once you get the alignment, it makes your handling sooo much sweeter, especially at higher speeds. :thumbup:

projectaccord
07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
i was just confused im not starting stuff. maybe hell take our advice. tires get pricey :(

allmotorgsr
07-11-2007, 01:03 AM
still not sold on the camber kits, i had a 91 ef lower than this, i just got the toe adjusted, and i put over 4500m miles on it and there was no exess wear.. but i will get the alignment.
but it feels better than when it was stock.. and i don't want to lose it..

camber kits are necessary if u want good traction.
when u dropped ur car im sure u noticed ur tires tilting in...
as u know.... thats negative camer. Ur tires are now sitting on the inside corners.
so ur tires are hooking up on the edge of the tread rather than the entire width of ur tire drastically hurting traction. i ran my teg slammed without a camber kit for a short time and trashed a pair of damn good tires in a hurry. and it was not caused by toe as u stated, it was due to NEGATIVE CAMBER:blunt:

rabb77
07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
camber kits are necessary if u want good traction.
when u dropped ur car im sure u noticed ur tires tilting in...
as u know.... thats negative camer. Ur tires are now sitting on the inside corners.
so ur tires are hooking up on the edge of the tread rather than the entire width of ur tire drastically hurting traction. i ran my teg slammed without a camber kit for a short time and trashed a pair of damn good tires in a hurry. and it was not caused by toe as u stated, it was due to NEGATIVE CAMBER:blunt:

Yes you are right to a point, camber is great for corners and curves and lightens up the steering a little as well, i'm 31 i don't drive fast, it's a CX, i take all the twisty roads i can find on my way to work. i don't drag race, i don't need a perfectly flat patch of tires to get traction. Like i have said before, the car drives and handles better now than when it was stock height. and i'm riding on stock 14 tires, with full tread depth. and i haev been like this for a few days and there is no wear, so i will keep it like this for a while..

for the camber debate, there are a lot of things to look at. for one how you drive, if you drive and stop and take corners hard all the time it will wear tires faster, if you drive 40-50 plus miles a day will wear them out. if you live where all the roads are straight. i know you all are looking out. but i'm not worried, i don't put more than 20 miles a day on my car if even that. and with the new wheels i'm looking to get i will need the camber to keep from rubbing.

I Hate Import Cars
07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
OR you could just stop trying to make your car so fucking low...Just a thought...I mean, someone said that they munched a new set of tires in a MONTH! Now I may be wrong here, but that tells me that either A) you're driving your car 10,000 miles a day or 2) you've got more than just a slight camber issue. I mean fuck me, tires every month? how low was that thing? I have an EG lowered 2" on 205/55/15's and don't have ANY camber wear on them. It's lowered just enough to tuck tread, but not so much that I have to crawl over speed bumps and shit like that. I don't know. For me, driving a car that's 2 inches off the ground just isn't fun OR logical. My car handles just fine for a daily driver and is just that. IMO.....

rabb77
07-11-2007, 06:29 PM
maybe i should add that i only lowered the car 2.5 in the front and about 2.25 in the rear i can still make it over most speed bumps.. and i'm only running 185/60/14's it might be lower after i get the yellows

Peteex
07-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Camber doesn't eat tires, its caster/toe-in that does them in. I was riding on an almost three inch drop for for years and never once had to replace tires because of camber wear. I had a camber kit from day one, but I went progressivly lower and lower but everytime I went lower I never followed up with an alignment or bothered with adjusting the camber kit, still didn't have a problem.

The only time I started to notice wear was when my rear trailing arm bushings finnaly crapped out on me, which threw off my toe-in on the rear wheels.