PDA

View Full Version : REpainting rims

Tweeder
07-07-2007, 10:13 PM
ok so how hard is it to RE-paint rims a different color? what are the steps?

Crazy88
01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Sand with 400 grit. Wipe down with alcohol. Let dry. Paint.

I've spray painted a shitload of things in my life and I've found it works best if you go in steps.

1. Very lightly "dust" the wheels with paint. This means go back and forth across the wheel with the can a few times. This will put on very little paint and will hardly be noticeable. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so.

2. Spray a slightly heavier coat, moving the can a little slower over the wheel. You will begin to see the color change now, but it will be cloudy and dull. Let this sit for several minutes.

3. Now that you have an even, sticky surface on the wheel, you can spray a thick, heavy coat on. Move the can slowly over the wheel, laying the paint on fairly thick. Since you have a couple layers of sticky, semi-dried paint underneath, the paint should stick evenly and not run.

Every five or ten minutes you can spray more layers on the wheel now until it looks the way you want.

Oh yeah, don't forget to tape or remove any parts you don't want painted ( lip, center cap, tires). When I painted my VX wheels, I painted them black, so I didn't bother covering the tires.

vtecH
02-13-2008, 09:08 AM
crazy88 ideas is good...
I would get the wheels powder coated if I were you...
painting the wheels seem to be a temporary type of deal to me

jägermeister
02-13-2008, 09:09 AM
you also want to make sure you let them dry for atleast 12-24 hours.

Daddy_Digital
02-26-2008, 03:12 AM
where in town can i get my rims powder coated?