PDA

View Full Version : Those of You who have Build Motors or have Built them Bearing Question

18c
07-09-2007, 12:09 PM
When you guys built motors for forced induction, do you run the mains or rod bearings a little looser? I have seen a lot of people suggest to just stay in stock specs, and others suggest to run it a little on the looser side even on street motors.
its times like this i wish i went to mechanic school, but anyway
Right now my mains are at (#1).0016 (#2).0016 (#3).0018 (#4).0016 (#5).0016 using yellows and greens, im kind of torn if i should go a little looser and use thicker oil... Any input would be appreciated. Pretty much just doing a daily driver, thanks

allmotorgsr
07-09-2007, 12:16 PM
When you guys built motors for forced induction, do you run the mains or rod bearings a little looser? I have seen a lot of people suggest to just stay in stock specs, and others suggest to run it a little on the looser side even on street motors.
its times like this i wish i went to mechanic school, but anyway
Right now my mains are at (#1).0016 (#2).0016 (#3).0018 (#4).0016 (#5).0016 using yellows and greens, im kind of torn if i should go a little looser and use thicker oil... Any input would be appreciated. Pretty much just doing a daily driver, thanks

if ur going for a reliable street driven go with stock tolerances,
sure u can free up some power by allowing the rotating assembly
to revolve more freeely but i personally would stick to Hondas clearances.

although you wont see as much power this way, the lost power will be very minimal,
and also... Honda built there motors to these specs for a reason. there meant to rev high and last for a long time. y mess with perfection? just my .02:blunt:

I Hate Import Cars
07-09-2007, 12:21 PM
let's put it this way; the shop that built my motor for me, (yes, I ACTUALLY just said that) does TONS of R&D for race teams, builds crazy motors (to the tune of 2000+ HP), and does all sorts of experimental stuff on motors just to see if it'll work. And when discussing this with him, he says that stock Honda clearances are all he'll use, and that they put together such a killer motor from the factory that he won't meddle there. Sounded strange to me, but then I started hearing it from almost any engine builder i've talked to. Just a thought......

allmotorgsr
07-09-2007, 12:34 PM
let's put it this way; the shop that built my motor for me, (yes, I ACTUALLY just said that) does TONS of R&D for race teams, builds crazy motors (to the tune of 2000+ HP), and does all sorts of experimental stuff on motors just to see if it'll work. And when discussing this with him, he says that stock Honda clearances are all he'll use, and that they put together such a killer motor from the factory that he won't meddle there. Sounded strange to me, but then I started hearing it from almost any engine builder i've talked to. Just a thought......

yea dude exactly.
not to say bomb power hasnt been made on stock clearances
people usually just run looser ones for all out drag cars that arent meant to hold together forever.
but as we have both mentioned, go stock.... Honda FTW:blunt: