PDA

View Full Version : Burning Oil B16a2

I Hate Import Cars
07-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Okay here's the deal. I have a fresh B16A2, and am 4500 miles into it. I have a problem with burning oil. It never burns oil unless it's been sitting, idling, for more than like 2 minutes. then, when I start driving, it'll smoke out of the exhaust for like 5-10 seconds. Any thoughts on what the hell cound be causing this? to me, this doesn't add up to be rings, or valve seals/guides. it never does it on start up, so i think valve seals are fine. it doesn't do it at high rpm or any other time, so i don't think it's rings. I am lost. Anyone?

I Hate Import Cars
07-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Kinda need some help here guys...

onefst91hatch
07-17-2007, 07:50 PM
bad PCV valve. when your sitting at idle your at full vacum s your sucking oil into the intake mani. thats my guess. lol. thats wierd bro

I Hate Import Cars
07-17-2007, 07:54 PM
howabout NO pcv valve!

onefst91hatch
07-17-2007, 08:00 PM
well then that could be your problem right there!! lol

azteamextreme
07-17-2007, 08:12 PM
x2

ILIKETODRIVE
07-17-2007, 08:28 PM
A B16 that burns oil? I've never heard of such a thing! :crazy:

I Hate Import Cars
07-18-2007, 10:14 AM
A B16 that burns oil? I've never heard of such a thing! :crazy:

Ya i know. So anyone who knows b series well, please explain something to me. The breather/catch can deal on the back of the block has one line in from the block (crankcase vent) and one in from the manifold (vacuum source), then drains oil back to the pan through the bottom of the can and the BIG ASS hole in the block, yes? So where is the PCV valve supposed to go from the factory? And in that whole scheme, how in the FUCK are you supposed to keep oil out of the manifold? If there is oil in the crankcase vapors, and that goes almost DIRECTLY to a manifold vacuum source, what the fuck is going to keep it out of the manifold?!?! I'm almost POSITIVE that this is most of the problem being that THAT vacuum port draws off of the #3 runner, and the #3 plug is ALWAYS OILY!!!!!!!!!!! I'm building a catch can setup for it right now, so hopefully that will solve all 8 thousand problems this is giving me! The valve cover jsut has a breather right on it, so i know that's all squared away.

Tage
07-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Yes the oil vapors are suppose to go into the intake manifold by design. It's far from optimal for performance reasons. The design is done strictly for reducing polution and it's technically not legal to remove (for a street car). The guys at the emissions stations typically don't notice though.

If there's oil on your #3 spark plug, chances are it's just the valve cover gasket around the #3 spark plug hole is leaking and dripping down into the spark plug. When you remove the plug gravity is making the oil leak down through the threads making it seem like there's oil inside the cylinder.

With a proper working PCV system it's really not THAT much oil going through the intake system. If this is a track only car, I'd run a catch can system (like the one Endyn sells or similar setup). I'd also just vent to the atmosphere with the medium sized K&N on the breather and the mini K&N on the valve cover.

I had a lot of crankcase pressure problems with my high reving 2.0L and I actually have FOUR breather/catch cans. 1 off each plug/hole in the back of the block and one for two additional holes I added to the valve cover in the front.

I Hate Import Cars
07-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes the oil vapors are suppose to go into the intake manifold by design. It's far from optimal for performance reasons. The design is done strictly for reducing polution and it's technically not legal to remove (for a street car). The guys at the emissions stations typically don't notice though.

If there's oil on your #3 spark plug, chances are it's just the valve cover gasket around the #3 spark plug hole is leaking and dripping down into the spark plug. When you remove the plug gravity is making the oil leak down through the threads making it seem like there's oil inside the cylinder.

With a proper working PCV system it's really not THAT much oil going through the intake system. If this is a track only car, I'd run a catch can system (like the one Endyn sells or similar setup). I'd also just vent to the atmosphere with the medium sized K&N on the breather and the mini K&N on the valve cover.

I had a lot of crankcase pressure problems with my high reving 2.0L and I actually have FOUR breather/catch cans. 1 off each plug/hole in the back of the block and one for two additional holes I added to the valve cover in the front.

HOLY HELL!!!!!! That thing is all kinds of vented! I'll have to check that out when I come drop off my tranny. I just need to get this taken care of and be DONE with it! Thanks for the input. When I said the plug was "wet" i didn't mean like REALLY wet, I just meant that there was definately oil in that hole. I am going to try to get this catch can setup done and then hopefully that will solve a few problems. Thanks again.

Tage
07-19-2007, 04:28 PM
HOLY HELL!!!!!! That thing is all kinds of vented! I'll have to check that out when I come drop off my tranny. I just need to get this taken care of and be DONE with it! Thanks for the input. When I said the plug was "wet" i didn't mean like REALLY wet, I just meant that there was definately oil in that hole. I am going to try to get this catch can setup done and then hopefully that will solve a few problems. Thanks again.

Yeah I'm not sure why mine had so many problems with crankcase pressure and/or oil pressure problems (only during aggressive turning / i.e. autox or road racing). My guess is I'm one of the few people with a built 2.0L that does that type of racing. At any rate the catch can system you won't be able to see when you come over since the car stays on the car hauler which is parking in the backyard of my father-in-laws house now. If you ever come out to an autox or NASA event though I'll be more than happy to show you the system. My guess is with a 1.6L, you likely would never need what I have since it's pushing quite a bit less air around.

Going back to your original thread though about oil burning problems but not at high RPM and only when it's been sitting idle for a while... Since you also said that one of the plugs had traces of oil I would suspect something to do with an actual oil leak in that cylinder. Perhaps valve cover gasket seal for spark plug #3 and the plug isn't screwed in all the way (or the seal doesn't work), bad spark plug threads or seating surface in that hole? Bad valve guides/seals? If there is physical oil on the spark plug I would focus your attention there and you'll likely find the problem.

Edit: Likely the problems with my crankcase pressure was because Honda never designed it's 1.8L GSR block to have 85mm sleeves installed with an LS crank and then spin it to 9200RPM. LOL!

I Hate Import Cars
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah I'm not sure why mine had so many problems with crankcase pressure and/or oil pressure problems (only during aggressive turning / i.e. autox or road racing). My guess is I'm one of the few people with a built 2.0L that does that type of racing. At any rate the catch can system you won't be able to see when you come over since the car stays on the car hauler which is parking in the backyard of my father-in-laws house now. If you ever come out to an autox or NASA event though I'll be more than happy to show you the system. My guess is with a 1.6L, you likely would never need what I have since it's pushing quite a bit less air around.

Going back to your original thread though about oil burning problems but not at high RPM and only when it's been sitting idle for a while... Since you also said that one of the plugs had traces of oil I would suspect something to do with an actual oil leak in that cylinder. Perhaps valve cover gasket seal for spark plug #3 and the plug isn't screwed in all the way (or the seal doesn't work), bad spark plug threads or seating surface in that hole? Bad valve guides/seals? If there is physical oil on the spark plug I would focus your attention there and you'll likely find the problem.

Edit: Likely the problems with my crankcase pressure was because Honda never designed it's 1.8L GSR block to have 85mm sleeves installed with an LS crank and then spin it to 9200RPM. LOL!

the reason i think its that is cause i had those vents just going to nowhere and it would not burn oil but itspit oil all over the top of thetranny. now it's all hooked up like stock, and it's burning oil andthe #3 plug is wet. The vacuum port for the stock catch can runs directly into the #3 runner. All the seals in the valve cover are new and everything is tight. I guess we'll just find out!

Agent Smith
07-22-2007, 06:52 PM
updates at all?

I Hate Import Cars
07-23-2007, 09:58 AM
updates at all?

Ya. I'm working on it. :) Naw I'm kidding. It's all but finished, but I can't TIG for shit and I did it from aluminum so I'm just waiting for my buddy to weld it together for me then it's DONE! I'll let you know with pics and all that as soon as it's done.