PDA

View Full Version : Electric Oil Pressure Gauge Problem

Shiznit
07-22-2007, 10:44 PM
so i just installed an electric oil pressure gauge by prosport in my civic. the package came with the gauge and an oil pressure sender unit to tap into an 1/8npt plug. well the gauge install went well, when i turn my key to accessories the light shines a bright white, and when i turn my headlights on the light turns to amber like its supposed to. i tested it before i installed the sender unit and noticed that the gauge would spike to about 108 psi. i didnt think anything of it at the time.

then i went to install the sender unit. i used a sandwhich plate adapter that has 4x 1/8npt openings. i used silicon tape around the threads of the sender unit to prevent any leaks that may occur. on the sender unit the back side has 2 wire connectors. 1 is for a wire to a ground and the other is a wire that connects to the gauge itself. i connected both wires properly. finished my oil change and proceeded to check for any leaks which i did not find.

then i went to take my car for a drive to see my new gauges in all their glory, only to find that my pressure gauge is still spiking. i have a volt meter gauge, but im not exactly sure what im supposed to be looking for, since there is no power running to the sender unit that im aware of. im not exactly sure what the ground was for but i figured if there is a ground wire there should be a power wire. but i looked at the instructions again and it showed only 2 wires going from the back of the sender unit, the ground and the wire that connects to the gauge itself. so i figured that the sendor unit must send signals in volts through the wire that connects to the gauge. by that point i was too exhausted from the heat to work on my car anymore so i stopped. wtf is up?

CLIFF NOTES:
oil pressure gauge spikes when not hooked up to sender unit
oil pressure gauge spikes when hooked up to sender unit

:lame:

Shiznit
07-23-2007, 11:15 AM
bump

advert
07-23-2007, 12:21 PM
have you tried contacting prosport? sounds like something is wrong with the hardware.

I Hate Import Cars
07-23-2007, 04:05 PM
the psi in the sender creates a variance in the resistance of the grounding circuit and that is how the guage shows a reading. test for 12 (or maybe 5) volts at the wire going from the guage to the sender. If that's good, then do a current test (in line) over the ground wire with car running. it should fluxuate with differing oil psi. Or, you could do like i do, and get your money back and run a mechanical guage. Can't beat mechanical guages. P.S. the oil psi port on the block is NOT NPT. It's close, but you'll munch it good that way. It's bpt (i think that's it. it's just metric pipe thread. Just an fyi)

Shiznit
07-23-2007, 06:55 PM
thanks thats exactly what i was looking for

ps i did contact prosport and they said that more than likely i have a poor connections somewhere

Shiznit
07-24-2007, 05:33 PM
found the problem right away. thanks again

I Hate Import Cars
07-27-2007, 05:24 PM
what was the problem?