PDA

View Full Version : omg hydrolock

2000si
07-23-2007, 08:17 PM
so i was driving my car down bell road today and it was fucking flooded and i have a aem v2 cold air intake and no front bumper...so pretty much i sucked in a whole lot of water...after like 5 min my car died i started panacking so i tried to start it back up and after 3 min it finally turned over with alot of smoke coming out the exaust i noticed if i took the car past 4000 rpms it just bogged and died so i did the following correct me if im wrong i took 1 spark plug out at a time and turned the car over to push out moisture and unplugged each injector for each piston i was on...after finishing all four my car ran fine THANK GOD...my only qustion is should i change my oil or no?

ek-juan
07-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Yes Its A Good Idea To Change Your Oil Because Now Its Like 30% Water In It ....same Shit Happened To Me Last Year....but I Had No Luck So I Had To Changed The Motor ....

StateOfMind
07-23-2007, 09:18 PM
That sucks shit happend to me like 2 years ago, it died on bell and i pulled the intake off the throttle body and water just poured out. But as far as changing your oil I would but if you dont have time I would just do it in the next couple weeks water went in your cylinders not like you opened the valve cover and poured it in.

2000si
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
alright ill change my oil asap maybe this weekend fuck a cold air intake lol im going back to my password jdm short ram

ayoitsmeceez
07-23-2007, 10:32 PM
i knew theres was going to be a thread like this today

Daddy_Digital
07-23-2007, 10:32 PM
get a bumper soon. they are pretty cheap. its not worth messin up ur engine. change the oil out. CAIs are over rated. once ur going over 30 mphs, the engine bay temp is the same as the outside.

da0NE2nv
07-23-2007, 11:00 PM
better safe than sorry...change the oil and maybe the plugs. same thing happened to me 3yrs ago, scared the shiiit out of me. i disconnected the intake as well and drove 5 miles down the road to my dad's house. the car was boggn the whole ways there. fuck cai's

JustinD
07-23-2007, 11:12 PM
not sure how you guys think water is getting in the oil when he sucked water in the intake.

it goes in the intake, into the head and into the cylinders...

not that changine you oil isnt a good idea...go for it.

and by the way....dont drive through puddles taller than your car....

The President
07-23-2007, 11:30 PM
had this happen to me last year, I just stopped in a parking lot, revved to about 3500 and let all the water "burn" out so to speak. after about 15 minutes it ran fine.. no smoke and didn't change my oil.. car ran fine after that..

bballcrazy15
07-23-2007, 11:45 PM
wow nice save bro

Chinky
07-24-2007, 02:24 PM
and by the way....dont drive through puddles taller than your car....

x2 if i had cai and had no front and it was pouring i would've waited it out or pulled the intake off

happy it's all ok now tho

jakellama123
07-24-2007, 02:27 PM
same thing almost happened to me yesterday. i was driving down bell swerving around every puddle. i have a CAI and my bumper has a grill covering the filter so its exposed. or u could have prevented it to buy a bypass valve :)

2000si
07-24-2007, 05:27 PM
well the thing is i was comiong from peoria and the i-17 and it was dry until i hit bell road and it was flooded not just the sides but the whole street lol so everytime i hit a huge ass puddle i pushed in the clutch and crossed my fingers

I Hate Import Cars
07-24-2007, 05:35 PM
if you had alread tried to turn it over repeatedly BEFORE you pulled the plugs, any damage that COULD have been done WOULD have been done. Water does not compress. The idea is to get the water out BEFORE you send any of the pistons to the top of the compression stroke. And you don't do it one at a time because if say #3 is filled with water, but you start on #1, by the time you get to #3 the #3 rod looks like a boomerang. pull all the plugs and crank it for a bit. it's called evacuating a cylinder. glad to hear it turned out okay. Fuck CAI's! they should call them "SPI's." Street puddle Intakes! I have been debating getting one lately, now am DONE debating. NO WAYS!

2000si
07-24-2007, 05:46 PM
yea i actually pulled all the plugs out first and cranked it a couple of times then i did the procedure i listed

just-a-hoe
07-25-2007, 09:28 AM
what you guys should get is the AEM bypass valve. it looks like the most stupid and pointless thing for CAI's but I was able to go through puddles and snow with NO problem what so ever. I even had snow caked on to my filter with no problem. and they are only like 25 to 50 bucks

blackouthx
07-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Happened to me also last year, got it started and about a week later I threw a rod...I got lucky and my insurance replaced the motor because they counted it as a road hazard lol I just left out the part about me having a CAI......

SiR Mikey
07-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Stock intake ftw!

blackouthx
07-25-2007, 03:11 PM
^^^ Lol

fourstarcivic
07-25-2007, 06:02 PM
i hydrolocked last wednesday and took 4 oil changes to get all the water out... little rough but the motor is still running strong.

00 ess eye
07-26-2007, 06:23 PM
omg

alucard
07-26-2007, 06:55 PM
its gotta be fucked...

honda motors + water = go buy a new motor.

been there, couple times.. I always keep a flat head in my car to convert to a short ram if needed.

`c

die in a dick fire noob
07-26-2007, 06:56 PM
just a question... you have no bumper? is your cold air a one piece? because you can take off the lower tube on mine and just attach the filter to that. all you need is a screw driver which i normally have a few of in my car.

^^what he said :-\

alucard
07-26-2007, 06:58 PM
what you guys should get is the AEM bypass valve. it looks like the most stupid and pointless thing for CAI's but I was able to go through puddles and snow with NO problem what so ever. I even had snow caked on to my filter with no problem. and they are only like 25 to 50 bucks

i have to say nope.. I hydrolocked (second time) thanks to good ol' AEM Bypass technology..
The filter was in good shape, installed correctly.. didn't work.

you want to keep water out, short ram.. no bypass crap.

`c

*inFamous*
07-26-2007, 07:13 PM
bypass is junk :)

Broskiballa
07-26-2007, 08:42 PM
air box :)

legatho
07-26-2007, 08:52 PM
individual fuel injected throttle bodies is my answer!

cEx00
07-28-2007, 04:10 PM
every time it rains i'm freakin scared...and it starts raining when i'm workin to....lucky it hasn't happen to me...

gcboy90
07-28-2007, 04:28 PM
my short ram still sucks in water .... im really low to the ground

i hydrolocked just the other day, luckily it wasnt much water, and it started up in about 10 minutes

MichaelKnight
07-28-2007, 05:58 PM
I may be a dumb ass, but I just floor that sh-t and burn it out, works every time for me, maybe my engine is about to blow up, or my rods starting to "boomarang"

Someone already asked this, but how it this water getting into your oil, unless you ran your car in a puddle that was over your hood till your engine shut off, even then, please explain.

I always thought it just fouled spark plugs. Valid question.