PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Motor :) advise needed b16/gsr

Broskiballa
08-05-2007, 02:08 PM
b16A block -94 gsr head

So i purchased this motor about 8 months ago. and its still running great, i beat this motor up becuz i thought it was fucked up. rapped rapped rapped it. nothing happened it stayed strong.. but it was slow. it has shitty low end, and a very strong top end. vtec barely hits when it hits, then slowly gets louder with rpm. got a compression test, results where.

#1 piston 174
#2 piston 175
#3 piston 200
#4 piston 201

yeahh, thats deffiantly not good. Im ready to do a comeplete rebuild with all OEM goodness, the best shit thats made for these motors. the only thing that i wish to change is the compression a wee bit (ctr pistons, and a slight port and polish to the head, and replace the springs, and retainers, and all 16 valves).

I have $1,000 in my bank waiting.
IS this enough to do what i want? Any shops wanna put down for this?
recomendations for what i should do in this situation? feedback is very welcome :)

oh and heres a pic so it keeps the idea on a visual haha
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/bropaintballer/MEGGYPOOOOOSTER109.jpg

thanx

Reuben Douros

Tage
08-05-2007, 02:44 PM
That is not enough money to do it right. Here's the order that I would do things:

Honda OEM bearings (mains, rods & thrust) - $200
Honda OEM head gasket - $70
Micropolish and balance crank - $80
.25mm oversized ITR or CTR pistons & rings(I think CTR might be a tad too much w/ a GSR head) - $400
Bore block .25mm, hone & deck - $150
ARP head studs - $100
ARP rod bolts - $50

If you have any money left over have the head checked to ensure the valves are sealing and just slap in some used GSR cams. I'd be surprised if you didn't pick up some noticable gains with that done. Port & polishing the head would be one of the last things I would do as I think it provides the least amount of HP gains for the money.

Broskiballa
08-05-2007, 02:49 PM
why get used gsr cams? gsr head?
and ctr pistons? a tad too much with a gsr head?

explain on those parts

well, over all, im really not trying to build a insanely fast motor. soo lets say. eff the pistons, stick with oem b16a pistons that are in there. seems like too much work for pistons.

lets make this point to a full rebuild, with everything o.e.m

what does anyone say on that part or you say?

Tage
08-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Actually I said used GSR cams because they're cheap and they really don't wear out and they'll make about 5+ HP over B16 cams. However since you have a GSR head it's possible that you've already got GSR cams.

CTR pistons have larger domes over ITR cams so they'll yield higher compression. A GSR head has a smaller volume in the combustion camber over a B16 head so they will yield even higher compression too. I don't have the calculator right in front of me but you'd be pushing 11:1 CR with the ITR pistons and well over that with the CTR's. I've seen 12:1 and slightly more run okay on 91 octane gas but those setups also had a full fuel management system where the tuner can control timing.

Chances are you need new rings to fix the compression problems. The "right" way to do it is to go with the next size up pistons and have the cylinders rebored so the cost of oversized B16 or ITR pistons is about the same. I've seen some people simply do a quick hone job for pattern and then put in new rings but *I* personally wouldn't since the pistons would be even looser in the cylinders yet.

Sparkles
08-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Yeah yeah yeah, you could do all that OR you could spend $500 on a B20z long block put the gsr head on there and tune it and still have money left over. Hell take the money left over drop the car off at Tage's place have him install some ARP rod bolts for high reving action and have him do the work of installing your new short block!

Broskiballa
08-09-2007, 10:00 PM
hmmm.. sparkles.
i'll pass on that idea but thanx man haha

okay.
man all this for a motor seems like these motors are screwed after o.e.m. wear out.
: (
hmmmm..
i wonder if i should just sell it.
and invest in purchasing a b16b from passwordjdm for $4,000 k
that should take care of everything.
plus its obd2

whats the garntee with rebuilding my engine the way tage would build it?

curious.

HEADSHOT
08-09-2007, 10:51 PM
for that much u should just get a usdm gsr or something. beleive me you wont get muych for a b16. i have new b series rings for sale if you need them

1lowtacoma
08-11-2007, 11:37 PM
x2, forget about the b16 block. wasting your time with the b16block/gsr head combo. save your money bro, you'll be pissed when you get beat by a gsr or some dumb crap after you invest the money into a b16.
sell it to someone who needs some jap economy engine parts and buy a gsr or ls block and go from there. b16's are good gas mileage engines, crappy for race

Broskiballa
08-12-2007, 01:13 AM
ok.
so
fuck b16
98 spec itr? ive seen them mash on some k action
mhmm... they could of been built but ive seen it fersure. crazy shit
whats a good motor for my money that i'll enjoy.

dont get to heptic on the ideas.

ILIKETODRIVE
08-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Don't waste your $$$.

Yeah yeah yeah, you could do all that OR you could spend $500 on a B20z long block put the gsr head on there and tune it and still have money left over. Hell take the money left over drop the car off at Tage's place have him install some ARP rod bolts for high reving action

/\ DO THIS /\

Wholesaler
08-12-2007, 11:34 AM
That is not enough money to do it right. Here's the order that I would do things:

Honda OEM bearings (mains, rods & thrust) - $200
Honda OEM head gasket - $70
Micropolish and balance crank - $80
.25mm oversized ITR or CTR pistons & rings(I think CTR might be a tad too much w/ a GSR head) - $400
Bore block .25mm, hone & deck - $150
ARP head studs - $100
ARP rod bolts - $50

If you have any money left over have the head checked to ensure the valves are sealing and just slap in some used GSR cams. I'd be surprised if you didn't pick up some noticable gains with that done. Port & polishing the head would be one of the last things I would do as I think it provides the least amount of HP gains for the money.

sounds about right but i would not recommend ITR's seeing how they would actually be lower compression then the stock b16 pistons

1lowtacoma
08-12-2007, 01:22 PM
lol without arp rod bolts for a b20vtec that thing would fall apart soooo fast. the moment you went past 7krpm it would crumble. Do a b20vtec but use ARP rod bolts and head studs. good way to reach 190hp by doing that easy changover. your also gonna need a vtec oil line conversion kit. lol that will be all your left over money for the arp and stuff you need for it

Sparkles
08-12-2007, 11:57 PM
I seriously disagree with the B20 spinning itself apart after 7000 rpm. My brother revs his to 7200 stock and there have been no issues. Ask Locash about his old B20vtec motor; he beat the living shit out of it and it was fine. The rod bolts are for a bit more insurance but not required.

I'll tell you what you should do with all that money you were going to spend building that B16: Go and pick out a B20 block, you should be able to find them at any junk yard since Honda sold like 100000000000 CRVs. Look for the newest one you can find via the year on the head. Order some RS Machines 11.5:1 compression 84mm pistons. They are cast like the stock Honda pistons. Get some OEM rings. While you're at it order some ARP rod bolts. Drop your car off at Tage's house. Take the rods and old pistons to some machine shop. Have them swap the pistons. Take the new pistons on the B20 rods back to Tage's house. While Tage is working his magic hands, go to locashracing.com and schedule an appointment for tuning. Pick up your car from Tage and pay him. Break the rings in and drive over to Joe's dyno and feel the power on the way there.

Watch Joe tune. When you get board walk over to his CNC machine and watch that for awhile or maybe bring a book. I'd suggest "the picture of Dorian Grey" by the master of witt Oscar Wilde, not Zach-I stole-this-last-name-wild, Oscar. Oscar Wild is gay and went to jail for two years because of it, just keep that in mind while you read the book.

You will be really happy you did went with the B20 or you'll build the B16 and think its the fastest thing on the road and never really know the joys that you are missing.

Mr.Burner
08-13-2007, 09:33 AM
B20 is a great idea, im getting ready to do one myself with RS pistons.........
here's my order..
rs pistons on stock ls rods
arp head studs and rod bolts
b16head. typeR guts. Endyn cams.
all done.