PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a GSR!

Imp4ct_Blu3
08-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Well its about that time, Ive outgrown my trusty 93 Civic EX and am thinking of buying an Integra GSR however....I know its a VERY sought after car (6 of the top 10 most stolen cars) so can any1 tell me what to expect if i were to actually get this thing? Am I going to be followed home every nite? Any 1 wanna tell me past experiances? What can i expect to be going out mechanically? and maybe Pros and Cons? I just want as much info as possible :0

Chiodos
08-14-2007, 10:07 AM
make sure you have a garage and LOTS of security!

full coverage insurance
GOOD alarm with pager and multiple sirens
fuel pump kill switch (hidden)
relocate battery
battery kill switch (hidden)
quick release steering wheel w/lock
gps if u can afford it

2.0eg-si
08-14-2007, 10:13 AM
x2

Chiodos
08-14-2007, 10:27 AM
also dont park it at malls, movie theatres, community colleges or anywhere that you cant see it within walking distance unless you have a shit load of security just my .02

CARMA_626
08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
It's really the same car. Going from a Civic to an Integra is like going from Jack in the Box to Burger King.

You can expect just about the same problems as your Civic. Theft is about the same. GSR is faster, but it's your driving/maintenance habits that will determine the longevity of the engine.

Imp4ct_Blu3
08-14-2007, 01:30 PM
I see , My old Civic coupe has been attempted stolen: 2 and stolen : 2 sooo im already used to looking over my shoulders , watching suspicious ppl, NOT parking far away *the reason for both thefts* so i guess Carma is right knda goin from Jack in the Box to Burger King *i like Burger King more* and is there anyother recommended security measures i can take? What about Lo-Jack? how exactly does that work?

94gsrintegra1187
08-14-2007, 01:54 PM
lojack works but it doesnt tell you exactly where the car is....its like a radar it warns you when you get close but you dont know where it is...i recomend that you get on star that tells the police exactly where its at and if its in a garage or something. Put kill switches and a club!!!

CARMA_626
08-14-2007, 03:30 PM
In terms of securty, layers is the best method. It does two things: A) slows the theif down B) frustrates him so that he will hopefully give up.

That being said, I would go with the following security devices: Autolock, NRG quick release w/ hub lock (the only reason to go with NRG is for the hub lock), fuel pump kill switch, secondary kill switch, simple alarm (alarms dont do much but it will let the potential theif know that you have something), and lastely a Lojack or similar vehicle tracking device.

And my #1 anti theft device, probably the best on the market, probably one of the only thing that can 99% guarantee that your car wont be stolen: a POS daily beater.

Buy a beater and use that to go to the movies/mall/school. Then keep your Honda in the garage or backyard.

Lazieb29
08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
buy insurance for it.

Lazieb29
08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
You don't have to get too cautious, you can take it to the mall. Just park it really close to the entrance where there will be alot of people. Or if your not cheap, just pay for vallet parking.

boostedrex
08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
I dont know what he means by lojack dont tell u where it is exactly, when my buddys itr got jacked it cops where able to trace it right into a storage shed where it was untouched. and there were hundereds of sheds there

Imp4ct_Blu3
08-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Ya ive read about Lojack on other forums and ive heard everything from "it tells u EXACTLY where it is" to "u have to go fill out paper work @ the station and wait a week for them to even start looking" I was thinking...is it possible for me to get OnStar installed?

Seans98GSR
08-15-2007, 03:08 PM
yea man jus make sure u hav full coverage on it considering the car u get isnt salvaged...my first integra was stolen n completely stripped n dumped in PHX but that didnt stop me from gettin another one...the only thing i hate about havin my teg is havin to check up on it all the time...n as far as workin on it mechanically its basically a civic.

Imp4ct_Blu3
08-17-2007, 01:21 PM
If i bought a Type-R would i be able to easily put AC and PS in?

CARMA_626
08-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Ya ive read about Lojack on other forums and ive heard everything from "it tells u EXACTLY where it is" to "u have to go fill out paper work @ the station and wait a week for them to even start looking" I was thinking...is it possible for me to get OnStar installed?

What the previous poster meant was that LoJack is not a GPS tracking device, meaning that if your car is stolen, the police cannot pull up a map of the city and say "Oh, theres your car; on the corner of 5th and Main St."

LoJack works by sending a signal to police cars with a LoJack receiver. The receving unit has a few simple arrows to tell the police car to go left, right, reverse, or foward. There is a audiable sound that gets softer or louder, depending if the cop is going in the right direction.

In simple terms, LoJack works like a game of hot/cold. As the cop goes around looking for your stolen car, the unit says "Your getting hot...now your cold...cold...hot...cold...oh, hotter! HOTTER! HOTT....Bingo, there it is".

Nevertheless, Lojack works well. No, you dont have to fill out any paperwork to active the LoJack system.

Owens
08-17-2007, 08:59 PM
I heard with LoJack, that if you put a car with lojack in a closed trailer, that it can no longer send a signal. Anyone know if this is true? (Ive had someone with a closed trailer park down by my house (My driveway is like a quarter mile long) and look at my house with binoculars. He seems to only come out when my supra is outside.

INTEGRA DC2
08-17-2007, 09:11 PM
To keep my integra safe i have a viper alarm system that is very sensitive, if a fly lands on it it will go off, also i have fuel pump kill and i use a steering wheel CLUB when i go to the mall or any other public place that i wont be able to see the car but other than that i love my GSR it great