PDA

View Full Version : k20 Vs b18?!....BOOSTED!!

jdmeman
08-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I got the boost bug bad!!!! but my motor has 150k miles and i really dont tust boost with that many miles, and i really dont wna tear apart my motor and rebuild cause its my DD, and i just dont have the time.....so i wna get a motor with low miles, but now im having a hard time deciding which motor i should get and which is better for boosting!!! im stuck between a base model k20 or a gsr motor. which would best for boosting??? im probably not going to rebuild any of them seeing as most of my money is going to the motor and turbo, so! i need to know which engine can handle more boost??!! and safe boost as that im probably still going to be driving it everyday!!

FabricatorX
08-26-2007, 09:02 PM
We are actually currently developing a turbo system for the k series for people on a budget for when thats ready to go. So as for the answer about which engine? lol take a guess...

gcboy90
08-26-2007, 09:05 PM
lol, id say do a GSR either the 18c or even the 17A1...

boostedrex
08-26-2007, 09:21 PM
my buddy has a stock gsr teg a full afi kit with ac dd in the 12s, other buddy stock gsr in a eg with a full race kit no ac/ps and hes in the 11s and both are only on 7 1/2 to 8 pounds. kswap are alot better for all motor but u r going to spend alot more

gcboy90
08-26-2007, 09:30 PM
yea, thats another thing, ur integra is ready to go for a B swap, so... its not a big deal

as for the K-swap, ur generally looking at a more expensive motor AND a more expensive swap, cuz ur gonna need new mounts, new harness, new everything

jdmeman
08-26-2007, 11:07 PM
hmmmm........ so how much boost can the gsr handle on stock internals?? is 7-8lbs the limit for the gsr? what about the k20?? how much boost will that be able to handle?? im starting to read up on them and they are putting down serious numbers.... and i also read that the block on them are way stonger and handle more abuse!! but not that ima abuse it everyday, but boost does take its toll on a DD!! and i want it to be reliable too

straywalker
08-26-2007, 11:15 PM
hmmmm........ so how much boost can the gsr handle on stock internals?? is 7-8lbs the limit for the gsr? what about the k20?? how much boost will that be able to handle?? im starting to read up on them and they are putting down serious numbers.... and i also read that the block on them are way stonger and handle more abuse!! but not that ima abuse it everyday, but boost does take its toll on a DD!! and i want it to be reliable too

Its all in the tuning. I had a b20/vtec, stock internals and stock sleeves. 14lbs of boost. Conservative tune. 252whp & 250wtrq. Using a small gt28 turbo. Never had any engine problems. ran like a champ. Cylinder pressure and heat is what you have to worry about before generally it will blow. Those can be control by adding extra fuel to cool down cylinder temps and internal part temps, also ignition timing can be adjusted as well to reduce the possibility for blowing. Using simple 91 octane is way to keep knocking down. Several ways to turbo a stock engine and be able to make plenty of power.

CRX_N/a beast
08-26-2007, 11:24 PM
n

CRX_N/a beast
08-26-2007, 11:25 PM
my 2 cents is gsr is better for boost the k is definitly all motor ive had both gsr was better k unless u got the greens to do a good set up then the k might be but gsr are really good boosted ask my buddy eli (boosted 88)lol gsr boosted hit 10' in an ef sweet

K20 PWR
08-27-2007, 12:54 PM
k is good but I wouldn't boost a base model k. ive seen k20a2's with 8-10 psi around and over 300whp.

FabricatorX
09-04-2007, 08:36 PM
lol oh man, what you guys haven't seen...

Long story short, skip the k20, shoot for the k24, and if your worried about cost, take up stamp collecting :P

Boosted k24's are hitting 400-500

kshirza1
09-04-2007, 08:45 PM
k24a2 with full race & kpro 10psi locash tune... 5 or 6 speed your choice

all b-series crap game over... more power without beating the crap out of the motor to get power.

seriously i cant believe people are comparing b to k in any catagory. B <<<<<<<< K

bottom line...

if you have money = K

if you dont have money = B or H

I had a b20/vtec.

no my friend you had a poor mans K

FabricatorX
09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
you sir are correct ;)

Jesse
09-08-2007, 12:15 PM
im still a fan of b series for boost...especially on a budget. We have a few guys running high 10's on bone stock b18c1's and b16a's. We also have a few k series setups going high 10's and very low 11's (11.000 lol). Both motors are great. B series is just cheaper.

FabricatorX
09-08-2007, 09:37 PM
well, you havent been able to see the potential of the K just yet Jesse, especially when that pos DC5 sitting in your shop isn't going anywhere ;)

locash
09-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Whoa, that space ship looking DC5 is still around? :)

The K-series is the answer for power, but not price.

Honestly, either the B or K will work fine, but ignore the H series unless you are stuck with a Prelude/Accord chassis. Correct turbo choice is the key, you can half ass a few things, but save yourself a headache and get a good turbo the first time. No ebay specials, get a shiny new Garrett (preferrably a GT30 or larger), and make sure to have it tuned! :)

Jesse
09-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Whoa, that space ship looking DC5 is still around? :)

The K-series is the answer for power, but not price.

Honestly, either the B or K will work fine, but ignore the H series unless you are stuck with a Prelude/Accord chassis. Correct turbo choice is the key, you can half ass a few things, but save yourself a headache and get a good turbo the first time. No ebay specials, get a shiny new Garrett (preferrably a GT30 or larger), and make sure to have it tuned! :)

That thing has been gone for months now...

I do know the potential of K series...the first car we did a k series turbo system for made over 800whp. Manny runs 10's stock k series. Heres my arguement....There's been people that have 10's in stock b16's if your trying to be cheap. You can make 800whp on a b series too, k series , b series at that level your breaking transmissions and other parts ....the motor isn't the restriction.

FabricatorX
09-27-2007, 10:47 PM
good point. I gotta quit messing with the honda's, you guys are owning the industry ;)

:thumbup: AFI

Jesse
09-28-2007, 08:59 PM
k series with 4t65e GM tranny and now we're talking !