PDA

View Full Version : how much hp can i expect from a built head?

superfaststreetracer
09-10-2007, 05:04 PM
so i got the swap. i put a d16z6 in my ek and im contemplating getting the head bulit(3 angle valve job, new springs, port and polished ect.) what type of horse power can i expect to gain? any guesses? as accurate as possible plz...lol

FabricatorX
09-10-2007, 09:56 PM
ugghhh......

Type - O
09-11-2007, 02:00 PM
from the head or from the motor in general?

Zero
09-11-2007, 02:18 PM
im pretty sure you would get something out of it but until you do it, tune it and dyno, you wont really know what the gain would be....

azteamextreme
09-11-2007, 02:22 PM
x2

superfaststreetracer
09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
shitty i was talkin how much horsepower would the engine gain by building the head. but i guess its too tough to really tell...anybody got a guess?

Mr.Burner
09-12-2007, 03:40 PM
so is this going to be a turbo or NA car? if its going to be NA, and your going through all the work to have a valve job and port and polish done. the best thing to do is, bigger valves, exhaust and intake, have the intake manifold and t-body matched, depending on where you take it and how well they do it......you can gain some good numbers.....all motor.....you have to have some high compression and nice cams to make that port and polish work to its full potential....we need to know more about your build to guess a better hp number......
with our race car, H22. head, intake, t-body ported by Endyn made 100hp after tune, on the same boost!!......
We need more info....

I Hate Import Cars
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
x2. there are WAY too many variables that you left out to be able to give you accurate info. I'll say this, make sure whoever "builds" your head knows what the fuck they're doing, ESPECIALLY if you're building an N/A motor. If they don't, and they get stupid and just start hoggin the shit out of the ports, that head is not going to flow for shit due to a lack of velocity, the intake charge is going to get lazy, and you're going to hate your life for spending the money. That's my input. Hope it helps. :)

Mr.Burner
09-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Endyn Endyn Endyn

worth the time and money

Tage
09-12-2007, 08:45 PM
For a stock engine with the typical I/H/E, headwork is the last place you should spend your money. The power per dollar spent is horrible. I'd expect gains in the 5-10HP at the most on a stock D16Z6 with bolts ons.

Boost is a totally different story as are wicked NA builds with high compression, big cams, etc. Even with a wicked NA build I'd be surprised if you could get more than 25HP and that's if you did everything mentioned above which would be the same cost as an entire B16 swap.

Mr.Burner
09-12-2007, 08:56 PM
^ ya i would do the b-swap and build that....fuck a single cam. I know some people want to be "different", fuck all that....
If your going to make power. be smart about it. do some research people.

I Hate Import Cars
09-13-2007, 01:49 PM
^very true. I thought I'd be "different" and sank enough money into a b16 because "everyone does the b18..." and I've never regretted a choice so much in all my life. Ask Tage or Joe, they can vouch for that. Work smart. Learn from what OTHER people have done that worked. Use the money THEY wasted to your advantage and don't waste yours in the same way. For example, you'd be amazed at what that .2 liter and stroke will do for you. I didn't understand/believe that, so I stuck with the b16 bore and stroke. And guess what? Regardless of how well and stout my motor is built, it's still a torqueless wonder. I should have listened when EVERYONE said to go b18 while I had it down. So, I'll offer that advice to you. Learn from other people's fuck ups, and you should be able to build a gnarly motor without wasting a lot of money.

FabricatorX
09-14-2007, 08:51 AM
please refer to my earlier reply to this question.

Mr.Burner
09-18-2007, 07:33 PM
spend your money right the first time, it will keep you from banging your head against the wall.