PDA

View Full Version : wat us the difference

lude9701
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
whats the difference between a type s a type sh and a base model 5th gen prelude i got an idea but i wanna make sure does the suspension seats anything please let me know i have a base but i wanna put a type sh tranny and i wanna know what i need to do

n8jigga
10-01-2007, 09:18 AM
from what i have heard and read sh tranny does not fit in base model preludes. I think it is because of atts. it has a mounting point near by, they may be interchangeable, found this though:

The SH has a different block, it's a fact. That's why the SH and Base trannies is not a bolt on swap. Internally they are the same, but the block design on the outside is differnt. Intermediate shaft and tranny mounting, oil filter and a bunch of other stuff.
There is a thread on PO.com that details how to do a SH tranny swap to a base, it's not easy and involves fabrication.

The swap to a base tranny is NOT DIFFICULT. The _only_ difference is the SH block has mounting points for the ATTS unit instead of an intermediate shaft. The modification to bolt an intermediate shaft up only takes a little bit of work to the bearing carrier of the shaft as well as the fabrication of an adapter plate (which is simply a drilled piece of 1/4" plate). You can retain your SH axles and nothing else changes...you only need a base tranny and intermediate shaft.

i dont know all of the differences but these are a couple
things SH has that are different from a base model prelude:

ATTS (active torque transfer system), atts light in dash
ATTS has a cooler line from radiator
overall steering ratio SH: 15.61, base: 15.75
various additional sensors
Steering wheel has a 3rd notch (not visibal unless removed)
No 3rd brake light in the rear deck
Spoiler w/3rd brake light
5 Spoke rims
Round ring on shift boot
Round style shift knob
Courtesy lights on door panel
Different shocks/springs
Oil filter is higher up on engine block
Body colored side and rear lips
Type SH decal on the rear trunk

i am not totally sure but i think the type s is just an sh model is japan
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto/PRELUDE/19961107/index.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhonda%2Bprelude%2Bfact%2Bbook%26hl%3D en%26safe%3Doff
hope some of this helps, basically i have never heard of it done, u might be able to find some more write-ups on prelude forums but this is what i found

DJ Hookid
10-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Type S has 20 hp more than the SH, Sh has 5 hp more than the Base. The Tranny is the main difference between the Base and the SH. Because the SH has ATTS it has a different axles, which is why you cant do a direct swap. Pretty much everything N8jigga said is right. The Sh also sits a lot lower than the Base. It also has a six cd changer and Pioneer speakers... not too sure if the base has the same.

lude9701
10-01-2007, 09:27 PM
so what if i get the sh axles will it work

MLBZ521
10-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Why do you want an Type SH Transmission?? That would be a very expensive project to get a Transmission that will limit modifications. You'll need a new Block and the Transmissions, ATTS Unit, and Computer. Plus many other parts.

Most people want to remove the ATTS System because it's not good for highly modified engines. The ATTS System can only hold so much HP/TQ before it's useless.

The Type S is a JDM H22A4 with the ATTS System. The Type SH is a USDM H22A4 with the ATTS System. And the Base Model is a USDM H22A4 with a Regular Transmission.

You'd be better off getting an LSD installed into your stock transmission or have one built with an LSD.

I don't know of anyone every wanting to go to a ATTS system, that's more of a downgrade than anything..

n8jigga
10-02-2007, 07:29 AM
^x2, i agree, i think it would be a waste of money and all i have heard that the atts is not a good platform in terms of modifications

n8jigga
10-02-2007, 07:35 AM
^

tricken
10-02-2007, 07:42 AM
yep toss a lsd in ur curent tranny, sh only can hold about 26whp then atts turns off and u are just carrying extra weight

DJ Hookid
10-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Why do you want an Type SH Transmission?? That would be a very expensive project to get a Transmission that will limit modifications. You'll need a new Block and the Transmissions, ATTS Unit, and Computer. Plus many other parts.

Most people want to remove the ATTS System because it's not good for highly modified engines. The ATTS System can only hold so much HP/TQ before it's useless.

The Type S is a JDM H22A4 with the ATTS System. The Type SH is a USDM H22A4 with the ATTS System. And the Base Model is a USDM H22A4 with a Regular Transmission.

You'd be better off getting an LSD installed into your stock transmission or have one built with an LSD.

I don't know of anyone every wanting to go to a ATTS system, that's more of a downgrade than anything..

Just and FYI, the Type S has a JDM H22A, not an A4.

Yeah ATTS can only hold so much power. It can hold about 250 whp then it goes out. I would recommend adding LSD. Its cheaper and more effective. :thumbup:

MLBZ521
10-03-2007, 04:00 PM
^^Whoops, I didn't meant to put H22A4. :P

But I'm pretty sure the OBD2 JDM H22A is open deck similar to the H22A4. But yes, it is the 220hp version.

DJ Hookid
10-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Yups. Its open deck. OBD1 conversion will get you closed deck

MLBZ521
10-03-2007, 06:31 PM
:thumbup:

lude9701
10-14-2007, 07:33 PM
ok thanx i am goin with lsd i had already talked to my friend bout and we are getting it done thatnks for the info guys i really appreciate it