PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket Problems

hondabrat81
10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know of any companies that offer a performance head gasket for a 96 civic D16y8? I have my car turboed and it blows head gaskets like crazy. I have had the block and head checked at a machine shop and they are fine. So now i'm looking for a performance head gasket, any help is appreciated.

bumpstick
10-24-2007, 02:16 AM
my buddy's mom blows like crazy too! weird! pull the head and deck it. scrape the block and then cover the surface with pennies, making sure not to drop any inside of the cylinders. pop the head back on and then torque the piss out of it. that SHOULD do the trick. anyone else chime in if you know more than I do

ak94gsr
10-24-2007, 07:09 AM
i would suggest arp bolts or else just make sure u have the right torque specs and are doin it properly
cause headgaskets dont just blow for no reason all the time

*inFamous*
10-24-2007, 07:17 AM
You may want to check to see if the head is perfectly flat, OEM headgaskets hold up to quite a bit of boost actually :)

I suggest taking the head to a machine shop and letting them check it and then use a straight edge to check the block (instructions are in the FSM).

Then use ARP headSTUDS and you shoudl be good. There is no reason for a turbo honda to be blowing headgaskets frequently unless there is something else wrong.

As for other gaskets, Cometic and Mugen make pretty sweet headgaskets but they will blow just as fast if their is an issue with the mating surfaces :)

hondabrat81
10-24-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm already using the ARP headstuds. And just had the head and block checked at two different shops. Both said they are fine. So I'm looking at options for a stronger gasket. I have blown the head gasket 3 times now in 2 years. Just trying to get some ideas. thanks

The Guido
10-24-2007, 08:37 AM
I had a boosted y8 and for awhile it blew headgaskets left and right. Make sure that you have the head studs properly torqued and have the head machined anyways. On mine, anything over 10psi it would blow. I got a brand new set of arps, head machined and everything was awesome after that.