PDA

View Full Version : witch is better to turbo LS motor or GSR motor

vtakdis
10-23-2007, 07:15 AM
I am new kinda new to honda and I am either going to buy a crx she'll or a hatch shell and I plan on boostin it and I would to pick the best motor to turbo. I was told that LS motor was the best but I also want to know so info on the GSR motor and how holds up if turbo'd.

Now if I get a LS motor and build it top to buttom end and sleeve it I heard it is bullit proof and I would be able to boost close 30 pounds. Now if I do the same thing to a GSR motor will I be able to boost around the same or not as much as the LS.

My plans are to turn what ever car I get, I am going to turn it into a full blown drag car and I would like to know witch of the two motors will get the job done better. Thanks.

Omar.

crx3
10-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Anything with VTEC is almost always better than something without VTEC. The old, old mindset was that LS was better to turbo than GS-R because the C/R was lower, but that was in 1995. The VTEC B-series motors have stronger blocks (girdle) and better flowing heads and the 2 step cam profile which is VTEC. If you are gonna make a fully built race motor, then the bottom end of the LS and the GS-R will end up the same. The LS head won't flow the air of the VTEC head without some headwork and cams. Just do some research, and you will very few modern Honda based race cars using a non-VTEC head. There have been some very impressive non-VTEC cars in the past. I've seen fast LS turbos, and turbo single cam CR-Xs, but they are the exception. If you run lots of boost, and do some trick head work, the non-VTEC motors can put down the numbers. If you want to save some money on the entry fee, it may be cheaper to source an LS block and a B16 head and then start the build. A complete GS-R is still more expensive that the LS/VTEC. There is nothing wrong with boosting a B16 either, as long as the engine is ready for it. The new Honda king of the hill is the K-series, but they are still kind of expensive for us working stiffs. So what are you boostin 22 pounds on now?

vtakdis
10-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Anything with VTEC is almost always better than something without VTEC. The old, old mindset was that LS was better to turbo than GS-R because the C/R was lower, but that was in 1995. The VTEC B-series motors have stronger blocks (girdle) and better flowing heads and the 2 step cam profile which is VTEC. If you are gonna make a fully built race motor, then the bottom end of the LS and the GS-R will end up the same. The LS head won't flow the air of the VTEC head without some headwork and cams. Just do some research, and you will very few modern Honda based race cars using a non-VTEC head. There have been some very impressive non-VTEC cars in the past. I've seen fast LS turbos, and turbo single cam CR-Xs, but they are the exception. If you run lots of boost, and do some trick head work, the non-VTEC motors can put down the numbers. If you want to save some money on the entry fee, it may be cheaper to source an LS block and a B16 head and then start the build. A complete GS-R is still more expensive that the LS/VTEC. There is nothing wrong with boosting a B16 either, as long as the engine is ready for it. The new Honda king of the hill is the K-series, but they are still kind of expensive for us working stiffs. So what are you boostin 22 pounds on now?

Wow thank you for clearing some stuff up lol. I was told by somr friends that the ls motor was the best to boost but I wanted to make sure if there was anything better. Right now I have a 50 trim srt-4 and i m running 22 pounds. But I'm parting it and I am going to buy a 89 hatch and gut it and make it as light as I can and I want to built and boost it but I don't know what motor to go with if you can help me pick one to go with that would be great. It will spend most of the time at the track. If you where going to boost your car what would you go with?

crx3
10-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Here is some introductory reading on Honda B-series motors:

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0203ht_acura_honda_b_series_engine/

A race prepped 89 hatch doesn't take much to get it moving, so almost anything with a big turbo will work. If you plan on going with a bolt on setup, then contact the vendors to see what is available for your hatch. There are bolt on street/strip setups on the market that make 550-600 WHP on a B16. If that is not enough power, then a custom fabricated setup on a larger displacement motor may be in order. If you are gonna sleeve the block, then you can choose the bore. Most engine builders don't exceed 84mm for boosted applications. A boosted B16 really is more than adequate, but in racing enough is never enough. The short stroke of the B16 allows very high RPMs while retaining reliability.