PDA

View Full Version : need some advice from some autoxers

phattegdmk98
10-24-2007, 05:19 PM
got a eg hatch, thinking of getting into auto x for a hobby w my daily driver...

For optimal results with a 1500$ budget, what do you suggest I need as far as suspension and brakes go.

Brakes? Steel braided lines, ceramic brake pads, and cross drilled rotors?

Suspension? Front and Rear upper and Lower strut bars, rear lower control arms with good coilovers and struts?

Do I need anything else within my budget?
Any tips or other advice appreciated!
Thanks everybody:thumbup::thumbup:

BlueTeg
10-24-2007, 06:03 PM
For optimal results with a 1500$ budget, what do you suggest I need as far as suspension and brakes go.

Suspension? Front and Rear upper and Lower strut bars, rear lower control arms with good coilovers and struts?

Brakes
I'd stay away from the SS lines, if you're on a tight budget.
I'd stay away from the X-drilled rotors regardless of what budget you're on. They're terrible.
Pads would be a good upgrade and would be the best bang for the buck on the brakes side of things. Cobalt GTS are a great AX & DD pad. ~$100 Pads upgrades are legal in "Stock" class.

Suspension
Here's where it gets tricky. If you want to be competitive you'll want to limit the mods so you don't bumped up too many classes.
Stock
Koni yellows ~$500
pretty much everything worth while after that will bump you into STS class

If you don't care that much about your classing or being competitive, and also want to improve your handling on the street too, thats another scenario
STS
Koni yellows ~$500
A good set of coilover springs (Ground Control OTS kits are great for AX and DD for a beginner) $300
ITR rear swaybar & mounting hardwar $150

Tires (I know you didn't mention them)
I would absolutely allocate some money for a good set of sticky street tires (Azenis are great, ~$400), as they will provide the single biggest equipment mod to lower your times.

Don't worry if you still have some money left over. Save it. As a beginner, you'll see the most improvement in your times come with more and more seat time not mods to the car. Just getting out there and testing your car's adhesion limits will give you a lquick earning curve on how hard/fast you can push the car. Getting a senior member/instructor from the club to give you some pointers during Time Only runs is probably the best way pick up some pointers on how to improve your driving and become a faster driver.

BlueTeg
10-24-2007, 06:08 PM
http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6463

THE quickest, cheapest, funnest way to make your car faster. I would be willing to bet your car will turn faster times after you take this school ($60) than if you dumped all $1500 into the car and didn't take the school.

I took this school about 4 years ago and it was awesome!! Top level, national drivers. Usually 1 instructor per 3 students. If you want to autocross, you're a fool not to sign up for it.

Aodhan
10-25-2007, 03:18 PM
got a eg hatch, thinking of getting into auto x for a hobby w my daily driver...

That's what I'm looking at too, except I'm going the HPDE route, and making a right nuisance of myself over on CRA (Eh, teg? :D)

I'm doing HPDE level 1 in November (Track school), and I'll have SS lines, Hawk HP+ front pads, Hawk HPS rear pads, new valucraft blank rotors from autozone. That's all running me about $230 for everything, and other than some decent rated tires, all I'm doing before Nov.

Before January, I'm adding Koni yellow with GC coilovers, and a front strut bar, for another ~ $850, and I'm getting a hookup on some 5zigen rims for 1/2 price (Used.) So, out the door, with the Konis, brakes, coilovers and rims/tires, right around your $1500 budget.

That's all the upgrades I'm doing until I do an engine swap mid next year. After bugging the hell out of a lot of people, looking through dozens of pages of internet gabble, reading, researching, etc, that's what I've come up with.

I'd also go X2 on the azsolo driving classes. I'm going to sign up for those as well. Everyone, to a man, is telling me seat time is the key, the car will only perform as well as the driver no matter what you have bolted in/on to it.

Oh, and I'll be running in a 95 Sol si.

John

bmxican
10-28-2007, 10:19 PM
http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6463

THE quickest, cheapest, funnest way to make your car faster. I would be willing to bet your car will turn faster times after you take this school ($60) than if you dumped all $1500 into the car and didn't take the school.

I took this school about 4 years ago and it was awesome!! Top level, national drivers. Usually 1 instructor per 3 students. If you want to autocross, you're a fool not to sign up for it.

wow man, thanks a lot!!! I'm gonna register and send my money when I get paid on friday!!! :doobie:

bmxican
10-28-2007, 10:31 PM
even though I signed up it seems I cannot post on there.... hmmm. I wanted some more info.

Agent Smith
10-29-2007, 08:42 AM
mailing my $$$ in tomorrow :)

What blue teg said is pretty much my set-up suspension wise & I love it.
'95 rs integra
Brembo Blanks & PBR Ultimate pads $163 from 88rotors
SS brake lines $90
koni yellows - $450
25mm itr front sway bar+ gsr endlinks $240 icb+acura
22mm itr rear sway bar w/bsq kit $146 aruraoemparts.com
es motor mount inserts $34 amazon.com
$1123 + a good set of 615 falken azenis $340 @ vulcantire.com & a little bit cheaper through citytireonline.com

A good suspension set up can be had for cheap & even less if you don't have a 22mm front sway bar from factory. I've added a few more things too though to help with even more stopping power & for a little stiffer ride...

INTEGRA DC2
10-29-2007, 08:56 AM
X2 wi;; be sending $$ tomorrow sounds like fun

bmxican
10-29-2007, 10:03 AM
im wanna roll in my old ass suspension before I upgrade.

Tage
10-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Mostly echo Blueteg's comments but here's my take as confirmation:

Brakes - upgrade the front pads (as they'll make the biggest difference - upgrade the rears when you have extra money laying around and nothing to spend it on). Pretty much anything is better than an OEM Honda pad (they suck!). Don't touch the lines, calipers, or rotors as they aren't going to improve your autox times by any measurable amount (even if you're an excellent driver).

Suspension - Strut bars and fancy lower control arms aren't going to do hardly anything. Spend your money else where first and then get this stuff when you have nothing left to spend your money on. Good shocks are key for autox. Koni SA yellows are the best bang for the buck. Don't waste your money on KYB's or Tokico... Agree that a big rear sway bar is key to getting a FWD car to "turn" out on an autox course.

Tires - If I could choose one modification over all others it would be tires. I'd rather run sticky tires on shitting worn out stock suspension instead of some fancy $3000 coilover system, sway bars, etc. but then have some 14" all season tires on steel 5" wide wheels. While many have mentioned sticky street tires, if you want to really have a lot of fun *I* would spend the $1500 1st on a 2nd set of wheels with REAL RACE TIRES (i.e. Kumho V710, Hoosier A6, BFG R1, etc.). You didn't mention what car your DD is. If it's something smaller like a Civic, you could look at doing a set of Rota 13x8" wheels and then run a Kumho 215/50-13 V710 and the car will absolutely rip! It will boast a much improved final drive, a wider stance and the grip will blow you away from what any street tire could ever imagine doing.

I think after you try autox you'll be hooked and will likely want to get competitive at it as well so keep in mind that the mods you choose will greatly impact which class you end up in which ultimately will determine how competitive you are (since you're on a budget - i.e. the tougher the class, the more money it requires to stay competitive).

Autox is the right place to start. While HPDE1 teaches you some useful stuff, it really doesn't let the Novice learn car control. Most of the HPDE1 guys I see out there gain confidence throughout the day and improve their line and start driving faster but typically none of them actually drive their cars at the limit (for fear of going off track or hitting the wall). With autox you can push the car as hard as you want and even loose control and spin the car without having to worry about crashing (besides into some soft rubber cones). Autox teaches actual car control skills which can then be taken to the higher speed track stuff.

BlueTeg
10-29-2007, 05:24 PM
even though I signed up it seems I cannot post on there.... hmmm. I wanted some more info.

PM me what you wanted to ask. I will post it from my accout, on your behalf.

BlueTeg
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Glad to see some of you guys are showing interest.

I'm not sure if they have the option to request a particular instructor or not on the reg form, but if they do.....I would recommend requesting Tage or a guy named Ben Clement.

I'm not sure if Tage and/or Ben will be instructing....or even available...for the school, but if they are, they're the fastest Honda guys out there (Ben = former Honda guy) and can be a huge help to getting you 'fast' by the end of the day.

Agent Smith
10-29-2007, 10:21 PM
tage wasn't on the list & yes you can make requests...

bmxican
10-30-2007, 05:37 AM
PM me what you wanted to ask. I will post it from my accout, on your behalf.

pretty much re-read and found all my answers. Gonna be sweet!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

bmxican
10-30-2007, 05:40 AM
Well, I do have a question, since this is my first time even being on a course what are some things I should bring with me or what not?

Agent Smith
10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
do I need a helmet? I mailed my $$$ this morning & my buddy's too :)

bmxican
10-30-2007, 10:11 AM
F-U justin!!!! I'll see you there man. Hopefully more AZHT peeps show up! I've always wanted to start autox or anything really! I'm already tired of 1320 racing straight lines FTL!

Agent Smith
10-30-2007, 11:55 AM
F-U justin!!!! I'll see you there man. Hopefully more AZHT peeps show up! I've always wanted to start autox or anything really! I'm already tired of 1320 racing straight lines FTL!
amen on the 1/4 FTL! my playground has been the canyons normally...

I can't wait for this :)

BlueTeg
10-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Well, I do have a question, since this is my first time even being on a course what are some things I should bring with me or what not?

Make sure you air up your tires the night before. Do 34 PSI COLD , and adjust the next day/morning as your instructor evaluates the temps for the day, condition of the track and your equipment. You can always let air out, but its kind of a PITA if you show up with PSI in the mid 20's and have to leave to put air in the tires.

Full tank of gas

PSI gauge (even a cheapie is better than nothing) to check pressures in AM vs. PM

Bring warm and cool clothes. Will most likely be cold in the AM and may warm up in the afternoon.

Bring water.

Bring snacks if you get hungry often. You can only eat so many chips and hotdogs from the vendor (thats assuming that she even shows up).

Bring a helmet if you have one. If not no big deal, PM Dawn M. on www.azsolo.com/forums and make sure that the club will have the loaner helmets on site for this. (I can't imagine that they wouldn't, as this is noob city, and noobs need helmets. haha)

It sounds dorky, but it wouldn't hurt to bring to a paper and pen to write down feedback that your instructor gives on what to improve on. It's easy to forget with some many runs throughout the day.

Get there early. Nothing is worse than being a noob (at any activity) and arriving late and rushing to get ready and not taking your time.

bmxican
10-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Make sure you air up your tires the night before. Do 34 PSI COLD , and adjust the next day/morning as your instructor evaluates the temps for the day, condition of the track and your equipment. You can always let air out, but its kind of a PITA if you show up with PSI in the mid 20's and have to leave to put air in the tires.

Full tank of gas

PSI gauge (even a cheapie is better than nothing) to check pressures in AM vs. PM

Bring warm and cool clothes. Will most likely be cold in the AM and may warm up in the afternoon.

Bring water.

Bring snacks if you get hungry often. You can only eat so many chips and hotdogs from the vendor (thats assuming that she even shows up).

Bring a helmet if you have one. If not no big deal, PM Dawn M. on www.azsolo.com/forums and make sure that the club will have the loaner helmets on site for this. (I can't imagine that they wouldn't, as this is noob city, and noobs need helmets. haha)

It sounds dorky, but it wouldn't hurt to bring to a paper and pen to write down feedback that your instructor gives on what to improve on. It's easy to forget with some many runs throughout the day.

Get there early. Nothing is worse than being a noob (at any activity) and arriving late and rushing to get ready and not taking your time.

Thanks man, yea I plan on getting there real early since I'm soo freakin excited as it is and we are more than a month a way.:clap::clap:

I have a Helmet too so I should be good in that department. Thanks a lot for your input!!:you rock:

evan
11-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I'll be there!

bmxican
11-08-2007, 12:29 PM
about to send in my money order, but how do I make a request? I want Mr. Clement.

bmxican
11-08-2007, 12:31 PM
fucking A!!! I dont know if I should put the money order in the mail or not. Seems there MIGHT be one spot open.

BlueTeg
11-08-2007, 02:22 PM
just send it. They're a stand up group of people, its not like buying parts on ebay (or here for that matter..... :p )

rudsone
11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
i wish i had a fucking license!!!!!!!
this sucks...

bmxican
11-08-2007, 03:30 PM
just send it. They're a stand up group of people, its not like buying parts on ebay (or here for that matter..... :p )

fuck yea! Sent!!!! should get it saturday or friday maybe? lol:clapper::clapper: