PDA

View Full Version : High compression on pump gas?

I Hate Import Cars
10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I am debating changing pistons and running a higher compression ratio while I have the motor apart right now, but I don't want to get to where I have to run race gas all the time. So I'm curious as to what anyone else is running for compression and still able to use pump gas and have a streetable car.

The motor is a B16A2 and is being tuned by Joe using Neptune. Right now, it's at 10.7:1, and is built as strong as it can be without being sleeved, i.e. forged JE pistons and Eagle rods, Total Seal hardened rings, balanced rotating assy, stainless valves, Comp stage 2 cams and valvetrain, ported and bowl blended head and manifold, block guarded, ARP head/main studs, bored throttle body, all that.

My options are to either keep the same compression or a little lower and spray a fairly heavy hit of nitrous on it, or raise compression and just try to build gobs of power that way. (or maybe go higher compression AND spray...;)) But like I said, it needs to be able to be daily driven on pump gas. I've done this before (with a V-8, mind you) and it came out fucking gnarly, (492hp/520tq n/a) but at $4.50+ a gallon for 100LL AV GAS, and getting about 8 miles to the gallon, it sucked. We had this gnar-shred-kill truck that would stomp the shit out of about 90% of the vehicles on the street, but we couldn't afford to drive it! So that's where I DON'T want to go this time. Any help would be great. Thanks.

johnb20
10-25-2007, 11:24 AM
b20vtec b16 head on stage 3 camsi ran 12.5 to 1 on 91 oct and it drove fine for 2 years dalily driven i just got 14 miles to the gallon on 440cc and itb
evan on the dyno it didnt run lean and i ran with race gas and was no differnt
iam going 13.50 to 1 on another engine going to have only race gas only