PDA

View Full Version : Poor man's Type R + LS crank?

I Hate Import Cars
10-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Alright, I have a pretty well built head from my B16A2, as well as high compression forged pistons for the same. The block is to the point of having to be sleeved, so I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm trying to find another stock bore block to build this in. I would prefer a GSR block/crank, but I am having a VERY hard time finding them. However, LS blocks and cranks seem to be a dime a dozen. So I got to thinking, IF I can find a good GSR block, and a good LS crank, and I get a set of forged rods for an LS, and put all that together with my B16A2 head, I'd have the killer head, a strong ass block, and the longer crank stroke, which would yield more displacement and power.

My question is, has anyone here actually DONE this? If so, did you run into any problems? Is there any additional machining needs to be done? Any clearance issues with the pistons and head or block and crank? I think that we're going to block off the piston oil squirters, so that won't be an issue if they won't clear with that crank anyways. Can I keep the girdle in the bottom end? I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't want to know what your cousin's neighbor's girlfriend's nephew heard about this build. I need to hear from people with PERSONAL EXPERIENCE on this, and I need to know QUICK. This motor has to be IN the car in less than 2 weeks! So, any help you could give me would be GREAT. Thanks.

1lowtacoma
10-27-2007, 02:26 PM
it will all work. i am using an LS crank in my b20 and i cut a lot of weight off of it and had it balanced. has a fully built gsr head and puts out good power for me.

Paper Boy
10-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I thought the b20 and LS cranks were the same unit. Am i wrong?

Wholesaler
10-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I thought the b20 and LS cranks were the same unit. Am i wrong?

they are, and if your blocking off the oil squirters i dont see why you would want a gsr block. Your going to end up spending more just to use the block girdle which your going to have to line hone to the crank anyway. If it was me i would just use a ls block with a gsr girdle sense you have to machine it anyway.

honduh_head
10-29-2007, 04:44 PM
yeah what wholesaler said....plus you might want to make sure you have the correct rod length....with the longer stroke you might want to check the clearances for the piston/deck height...

BADCHKN
10-29-2007, 08:02 PM
I built a motor doing what u want to do I had to bend the squirts to make them work. As long as u didn't spin any main bearings or anything of that nature u will not have to line hone the gsr block....( I used honda greens and some green/brown)... u don't have to worry about deck hieght or anything I used ls rods with arp rod bolts and itr pistons. The whole rotating assembly was balanced accept the clutch.

Sparkles
10-31-2007, 11:00 AM
There was a great thread about this in the honda-tech all motor forum very recently. Try searching for it.

BDD
11-16-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm in the process of putting together a gsr block with an ls crank and rods. The ls crank drops in if you bend or plug the oil squirters, just get it balanced and polished.

I Hate Import Cars
11-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Right on. Thanks for the input. I talked to Gabe at Golden Eagle in CA about this and he said it's totally doable AND that it's actually a fairly common build, and that they do it a lot there. So it's on. Now I just have to get an LS crank. I think this is going to get out of hand...I've...got...a...plan...;)