PDA

View Full Version : Turbo help

Ef8crx4u2nv
10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Okay so i'm leaking oil out of my IC piping. What could that be caused from? Also lots of black smoke from my exhaust. Please help asap.

smoovy
10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
are you running a oil restrictor on your turbo on the pressure side? you probably blew your oil seals on your turbo. could be your engine possibly, compression test???

locash
10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Turbo could be fucked. Remove and inspect.

Ef8crx4u2nv
10-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm a noob to the whole turbo thing so what am i looking for when i inspect? Could it be that my pan is tapped to low and oil isn't returning into the pan, it's just kinda getting forced through the turbo?

kawgomoo
10-28-2007, 12:41 AM
the oil fitting in the pan HAS to be above oil level. prefferably in the pan where its slim and close to the motor, not on the sump side. otherwise the oil will backup in the turbo and leak out the seals. there is no pressure on the return side of the turbo. gravity only.

turbo may or may not be shot... fix the return line first then see where you are at.

take off the intake to the turbo, wiggle the shaft vertically to see if there is any slop. if you can make the wheel touch the housing with minimal pressure the bearings are gone. all turbos have a little play.. if its wiped out youll know. you will also be able to see where the wheel contacts the housing if its fuct.

Ef8crx4u2nv
10-28-2007, 01:52 PM
So i checked over everything and my return line is kinda crimped in two spots. Will that cause my problem? The dude i bought the turbo from said he was running it in his car with the oil pan he gave me.

Rx7tooCivic
10-28-2007, 01:56 PM
So i checked over everything and my return line is kinda crimped in two spots. Will that cause my problem? The dude i bought the turbo from said he was running it in his car with the oil pan he gave me.

oil return should be a smooth flow to the pan, no kinks, no going back up. its drained by gravity not pressure

Ef8crx4u2nv
10-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Ok i fixed that so now if it's still smoking, blowing out black smoke what should i do?? Also if the pan is tapped to low will that F" anything up?

18c
10-29-2007, 04:53 AM
sounds like blown seals. Just think of it this way. how does oil get into your intercooler pipes?

boostedrex
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
check the turbo

FabricatorX
10-29-2007, 03:40 PM
re-read this again.

the oil fitting in the pan HAS to be above oil level. prefferably in the pan where its slim and close to the motor, not on the sump side. otherwise the oil will backup in the turbo and leak out the seals. there is no pressure on the return side of the turbo. gravity only.

turbo may or may not be shot... fix the return line first then see where you are at.

take off the intake to the turbo, wiggle the shaft vertically to see if there is any slop. if you can make the wheel touch the housing with minimal pressure the bearings are gone. all turbos have a little play.. if its wiped out youll know. you will also be able to see where the wheel contacts the housing if its fuct.

So, since yours is NOT above oil level, then the answer is...!

kawgomoo
10-29-2007, 10:48 PM
#1 turbo oil return fitting above oil level in pan

#2 NO KINKS!!!! blockages whatever. Gravity is all that leads oil back into the pan.

#3 keep the return hose away from the downpipe. use stainless steel braided hose. you can just hose clamp it, dont have to use the expensive fittings.

#4 oil smoke is blue not black. if its belching black smoke its RICH. too much fuel. whole nother issue right there. clean all the old oil out of the turbo, ic piping and the ic if there is alot in there. the residual crap may take a while to burn off once the issue is fixed.

#5 if you bought this car turbo'd you just bought someone elses headaches. not that its a bad thing but the way he had it is probably not going to suffice. a little time, research and patience will save you shitloads of cash.

solve your problems in this order.