PDA

View Full Version : Installed CAMS now I have a VTEC Problem

Fry12ice
10-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Sup guys I just installed some Cams, and using a stock P72 ECU in my 95 GSR
I was seeing if you guys can help.
What happens is when I step on it in 1st gear it comes up to Vtec, it feels like the fuel just cut off for a second, and you can hear the vtec coming on, but then it doesnt pull till 1k or 2k rpms later.
Ive tried my chipped P28 that was tuned for a B16, the VTEC is set higher in that ECU and it runs great with it but it also sort of happens with this ECU also but it starts pulling a little after. Any input would help Thanks

*inFamous*
10-31-2007, 09:48 PM
What cams you have woudl help

and what tuning system your using to dial in your Fuel would also help.

Wholesaler
10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
what cams?

Fry12ice
10-31-2007, 10:36 PM
I got some buddy club spec +3 cams, that are able to work with the stock valvetrain.
Im not really using any tuning systems, I know that I need to get it tuned but after talking to buddy club and other people that have these cams the vtec should work as normal.
I have a feeling that It might be fuel when the Vtec kicks in, or that its not switching from the non-vtec lobes to the vtec lobes smoothly.

What i have now is a Skunk2 IM, CAI, Headers, Exhaust, Cam gears, and FPR with stock pump and injectors.

Its weird, like I can hear when the Vtec kicks in, but then it doesnt really pull till later on.

Tage
10-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Assuming you had stock cams before those are MUCH bigger than stock. There's a reason Honda did VTEC (i.e. because big cams SUCK at idle and in the lower RPM range). VTEC is kicking in too soon to take advantage of the bigger lobes and you're likely loosing power. When I had my Jun 3's in my 1.8L Integra GSR if I tried to engage VTEC before 6000+RPM there was a major power loss. When I upgraded to a 2.0L the soonest I could engage then was still 5600RPM w/o loosing power.

Those cams likely have bigger non-VTEC lobes so they're probably designed to carry you further than the stock GSR cams (which engage at 4400RPM stock).

The short version is get the car tuned. I'm sure there's power to be had with fuel and timing but likely it's simply engaging VTEC too soon.

Fry12ice
10-31-2007, 11:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing about it engaging too soon... but just had to double check because people told me other wise. Do you might know anyone that can just burn me a chip to run in my ECU? The one I have now works but has trouble idling. Thanks

Tage
11-01-2007, 11:54 AM
There's probably someone who can but spend the money on a tune and some engine management and you'll likely pick up significant gains. I recommend Locash.