PDA

View Full Version : big boost for days

chunk
11-07-2007, 06:06 PM
What does the boost lag for a big turbo feel like? (mostly in reguards to b16)

This is what I'm wondering...if I get a big turbo kit that doesn't start to make boost until 4.5-5rpm then what does the first 4.5 rpms feel like?

example...

If i put it a big turbo kit on will the beginning rpm range feel like it does now as a NA then just launch around 4ish until redline?

Or will it start up slower with the turbo kit during the beginning rpm range as oppose to the NA setup then ofcourse launch at 4ish until redline?

So basically is the pressure in the intake manifold realized at the same point or negligibly close with a turbo kit in the BEGINNING rpm as it's stock na form?

Not sure if that makes sense to you guys and if not let me know where I can possibly be more specific, thanks for your time and input. :thumbup:

I Hate Import Cars
11-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Let me see if I understand you correctly; you are debating putting a big turbo on a car that is currently n/a, and you already know that you're not going to be making boost until later in the rpm range, but you want to know if using the turbo could possibly have a NEGATIVE effect on the bottom end performance of the motor compared to the way it currently runs in n/a form. Is that about the gist of it?

Mr.Burner
11-07-2007, 10:44 PM
yes with a bigger turbo its going to be like a n/a car, maybe alittle slower depending on turbo. It is better to use a "ball bearing" big turbo so the lag isnt so bad. Using a bushing style turbo takes longer to spin up, as you could imagine.

You need to look at some dyno graphs to make a better selection on what turbo you want.
Also you need to ask yourself what your car is going to be.
If you just want to have some fun, i would recomend a GT3076R.
If your planing on making some big power but want to keep it street, use a GT3582R or GT37R aka T3/T67 DBB.
And for making power to get you in the nines, GT45R or 42R.

It all depends what you wnat to do with your car.

chunk
11-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Let me see if I understand you correctly; you are debating putting a big turbo on a car that is currently n/a, and you already know that you're not going to be making boost until later in the rpm range, but you want to know if using the turbo could possibly have a NEGATIVE effect on the bottom end performance of the motor compared to the way it currently runs in n/a form. Is that about the gist of it?

yes sir you are correct! i wasn't sure if it made sense

yes with a bigger turbo its going to be like a n/a car, maybe alittle slower depending on turbo. It is better to use a "ball bearing" big turbo so the lag isnt so bad. Using a bushing style turbo takes longer to spin up, as you could imagine.

You need to look at some dyno graphs to make a better selection on what turbo you want.
Also you need to ask yourself what your car is going to be.
If you just want to have some fun, i would recomend a GT3076R.
If your planing on making some big power but want to keep it street, use a GT3582R or GT37R aka T3/T67 DBB.
And for making power to get you in the nines, GT45R or 42R.

It all depends what you wnat to do with your car.

thank you so for replying and giving suggestions I will look into all of those. let me explain exactly what i would like to have

I normally drive my b16 crx very easy like shifting at close to 3rpm daily, occasionally higher if i need to. i normally get around 30mpg plus/minus 2 if i use ac or drive a little harder.

anyway since i dont go pass 3rpm during my daily driving i figured a huge turbo that doesnt even really spool until 4/5rpm would allow me to still get good gas milage and when i want to drive real hard i just rev past 4 when it really starts to kick in. so basically the ball bearing turbo isn't really necessary for me unless it's equivalent counterpart is close in price. i would also like 300+whp is possible and 12's or lower if possible in 1/4 mile times.

thanks again guys please keep it coming

chunk
11-08-2007, 02:02 PM
forgot to mention in above post that that this big turbo i'm speaking of won't be different than my acceleration from 900-3500rpm in NA form. that is what i'm really wondering and hoping for.

Mr.Burner
11-08-2007, 02:04 PM
ya you need a GT30R

* BOOSTED88 *
11-08-2007, 02:04 PM
I hit 10's with 300+whp on a stock block, with an EBAY turbo!!!

So you don't have to go and spend $1,500 buck's or more on a TURBO. You just need to know what you're doing bro.

chunk
11-08-2007, 02:18 PM
ya you need a GT30R

ok i will check that one out first. so what about lag? or better yet, how about performance during the first 3500-4000rpm? still go the same as it does now in NA form? or slower? laggy?

I hit 10's with 300+whp on a stock block, with an EBAY turbo!!!

So you don't have to go and spend $1,500 buck's or more on a TURBO. You just need to know what you're doing bro.

thanks for advice but not really what I'm looking for. good info yes but more concerned right now about how my car will feel and move in the beginning rpm range.

thanks so much tho. both of you guys i really do appreciate the feedback

I Hate Import Cars
11-08-2007, 08:02 PM
I'll say this; Good components ARE a big factor in how well and how long a setup will run, but a commonly overlooked issue is TUNING! With a good tune, you can make pretty decent and reliable power even if you don't have all the top-of-the-line parts. On the flipside, you can have the best parts in the world, and if it's not tuned properly (or at all), NOT ONLY is it not going to reach it's highest potential power output, but in all likelyhood, it's going to effectively fuck itself in the ass so hard that it will NEVER WALK AGAIN. In other words, INVEST IN A GOOD TUNER! It is the best money you will ever spend. I personally suggest Joe at Locash. That's my input.

chunk
11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
so true "I Hate Import Cars" i strongly believe in tuning however once again right now at this exact moment i'm more concerned about bottom end performance.

i dont care how great the numbers are at that range but i would like it to be equally good on gas milage as it is right now or close to it AND that it reacts the same as it does now.

let me give you guys an example...right now i rev to 3 and shift gears and it feels a certain way when accelerating. i want to keep that same feel and gas milage and my concern is whether a big turbo kit will make my long rpm range feel different than it does now or will it feel that same until it actually hits boost.

"I Hate Import Cars" you seem to understand what I'm looking for so do you have a insightful input on that? thanks again guys

* BOOSTED88 *
11-08-2007, 09:03 PM
It's all in the tuning!!!!!!!!!!!!
HONDATA S300 FTW!!!!!!!!!!

FabricatorX
11-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Listen to Kyle guys. Smart guy right there! Kyle, you need to come by and look at thi mazdaspeed 6 were doing... ;)

chunk
11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
once again guys im not worried about tuning, although I understand it's importance, RIGHT NOW all I'm wondering is what the performance, or lag, will be like during the first 3500rpms. That is all! Not considered with anything else.

So please if you have some info in that reguards then please reply otherwise thanks for your time, but your input isn't requested at this time.