PDA

View Full Version : prep tips

cashflow
11-08-2007, 11:16 AM
i have some fenders and a hood i wanna get painted any tips on sanding it and priming it
like what sand paper to use and how many coats of primer

SlowLS
11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
i have some fenders and a hood i wanna get painted any tips on sanding it and priming it
like what sand paper to use and how many coats of primer

first hit it with 80grit, then 180grit, then primer 2 coats. let dry look and see if there are any dents dings or scratches fill with either spot putty or bondo, depending on wether if its a sctatch or dent. wet sand that with 800grit wet dry sandpaper, then re-primer.

ALL*JDM-EJ1
11-08-2007, 11:40 AM
first hit it with 80grit, then 180grit, then primer 2 coats. let dry look and see if there are any dents dings or scratches fill with either spot putty or bondo, depending on wether if its a sctatch or dent. wet sand that with 800grit wet dry sandpaper, then re-primer.

:tits:

is there someone on this site that does some good painting?

SlowLS
11-08-2007, 12:15 PM
my uncle usually does my painting, but i'm going solo on my car this time. i'll show you guys my work when im done and you can be the judge

Mr.Burner
11-08-2007, 12:33 PM
um i wouldnt just use any primer, you need to use one that has a sealer in it....or the paint will just lift. plus you need to find out what color primer they used on the original paint on the car, to get the best match.
And dont use bondo, that shit sucks, it will just crack and fall off down the road, you need to use a body mudd or lead filler.
Unless your a hillbilly, use bondo.

My $00.02 cents

SlowLS
11-08-2007, 01:04 PM
um i wouldnt just use any primer, you need to use one that has a sealer in it....or the paint will just lift. plus you need to find out what color primer they used on the original paint on the car, to get the best match.
And dont use bondo, that shit sucks, it will just crack and fall off down the road, you need to use a body mudd or lead filler.
Unless your a hillbilly, use bondo.

My $00.02 cents

Bondo isnt that bad if you use it right......sure if you use it like a redneck it will fall off and crack. but if you use it correctly it will work

cashflow
11-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Bondo isnt that bad if you use it right......sure if you use it like a redneck it will fall off and crack. but if you use it correctly it will work

would your uncle paint my fenders, hood and doors.
its like three shades of silver and i want to get it all color matched

SlowLS
11-08-2007, 01:22 PM
i'll talk to him and see when he's available

ALL*JDM-EJ1
11-08-2007, 03:22 PM

*2, i always use bondo and have never seen cracking or any kind of problems. thats IF you know how to use it. :blunt:

SlowLS
11-08-2007, 03:43 PM
thanks man

*inFamous*
11-08-2007, 03:47 PM
If you care to hear how i learned in school, let me know. It encompasses some of whats mentioned above, but a few other items.

cashflow
11-08-2007, 09:05 PM
pmed u ravi

eddie12
12-01-2007, 04:49 PM
ur going to need 300-400 to get rid of the paint then primer.then 600-800 for any plastic pieces.make sure u have all the right stuff check a paint place.

kawgomoo
12-02-2007, 05:45 PM
DO NOT SAND YOUR CAR WITH 80 GRIT! holy fuck man thats what we use for deburring raw metal.

if its already painted just scuff it, 220 dry paper on a d/a sander works great. cheap and fast use green scotch brite pads to scuff it. wipe it down with thinner and a rag followed by a tac clothe.

dupont fill n sand primer is good. its high build to take out scratches from the paper and fills the poors in body filler.

after that sand the primer with 600 or so to get it nice adn smooth. the paint will only look as good as the surface you spray it onto. use guide coat or 2 different color primers to make sure the car is flat before u spray your color.

remember you dont need to remove the old paint and primer from the car. you do not want to get down to bare metal, unless the paint thats on the car is not adhering and beginning to flake and peel. you need special epoxy primer to seal bare metal, regular primer will still allow moisture to pass through it and rust to form on the underlying metal. you just want to scuff it up so the new paint will have something to stick to.

hondafan
03-01-2008, 01:57 AM
would your uncle paint my fenders, hood and doors.
its like three shades of silver and i want to get it all color matched

pm me im up in prescott valley...well i think i pm'd u...i dont know lmk

BDD
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
:

ESKCRX7
04-28-2008, 06:54 AM
any suggetions about prepping a new fiberglass body kit?? my crx is just a primer black right now so i want to paint the front end & bumber to match but ive never primered fiberglass anything before.

Stealthy
04-28-2008, 07:26 AM
any suggetions about prepping a new fiberglass body kit?? my crx is just a primer black right now so i want to paint the front end & bumber to match but ive never primered fiberglass anything before.

And you couldn't start your own thread? This ones only like 5 months old. LOL

hittin-vtec
05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
i paint and have pics of my work pm me