PDA

View Full Version : Crank pulley differences?

I Hate Import Cars
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Few questions. First, can I use my stock B16 crank pulley on an LS crank? Or are there going to be balance issues? Also, I have seen these CTR crank pulleys for sale as if everyone thinks they're worth fucking gold. It appears that there is only a singular pulley groove. Any reason that this fuckin thing is worth so much?I mean, I only have a/c and alternator on mine, but not even THOSE would work with my car. Am I right in assuming that this will only run an alternator? If so, are you telling me that Civic Type R's have no a/c, no power steering, no nothing? That's stupid. Anyway, main question. Is there a difference between B series crank pulley's? Any input from people who KNOW about this would be great. Thanks.

redwidow
11-16-2007, 05:51 PM
I'll try and enlighten you a bit. I do believe all B series crank pulleys can work for you. The reason why CTR/ITR single pulleys are a bit costly is because they have a harmonic cusion/rubber which helps stabalize the engine, lighter, runs only alt. They are more for a race car set up. I used a stock LS crank pulley for my car.

crx3
11-16-2007, 06:55 PM
All factory B series crank pulleys have the rubber damper. The CTR pulleys are expensive because they are made from unobtainium and are JDM. CTRs don't have A/C or PS. AC was an option on the US ITR. Not everybody lives in the freakin desert, and it's pretty chilly in Japan and the UK where most of the CTRs were sold.

*inFamous*
11-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Not to mention if you weight them, they are slightly different in weight and the underdrive of the belts varies from pulley to pulley.

imm0rtal
11-16-2007, 08:49 PM
So just for clarification since I have seen both sides to this, a Genuine CTR crank pulley has the rubber harmonic balancer? I don't want to run one without the harmonic balancer, but I really only need the alternator belt available.

redwidow
11-17-2007, 09:33 AM
So just for clarification since I have seen both sides to this, a Genuine CTR crank pulley has the rubber harmonic balancer? I don't want to run one without the harmonic balancer, but I really only need the alternator belt available.

yes it has the harmonic balancer, and only runs the alternator

I Hate Import Cars
11-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I'll stick with my B16 one. no a/c = no driving for me. I just can't hang without it. I'm not that punk rock, okay? So just forget about it. Anyone ever dealt with a Fluidampr on a B series?

LiLinsane
11-17-2007, 06:05 PM
fluidine hormonic balancer, for a internally balanced 4 bolt main, .30 over, with some nice AFR heads, and a decent rollar cam your 383 can do 500hp...

G/L

:-P

Oh unless your using a re-ground 400 crank, then its externally balanced..

I Hate Import Cars
11-17-2007, 06:09 PM
fluidine hormonic balancer, for a internally balanced 4 bolt main, .30 over, with some nice AFR heads, and a decent rollar cam your 383 can do 500hp...

G/L

:-P

Oh unless your using a re-ground 400 crank, then its externally balanced..

How do you think I know about them??? ;) That's what we've used on every externally balanced motor we;ve ever built and they're worked great. It's just that shit for Honda's is SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE, that I can't take the $400+ hit that I would to buy one for it!