PDA

View Full Version : valves tapping...(hopefully)

g-rex
11-20-2007, 11:23 PM
long story short i blew my head gasket on my crx si (d16a6) was shootin white smoke outta my exhaust, other than constant over heating no real problems. pulled the head off and decided to buy a z6 head off this site. replaced timing belt, water pump, starter, distributor, head gasket, and spark plugs and put new head on it. started up fine except a loud tapping coming from inside the head, near the middle. taps faster as i accelerate. that and my idle will steadily rise sometimes ( although i think thats because of my fpr ill change it and see) im hearing my valve lash needs to be adjusted and i also heard that means my engines dunyuns. this happen to anyone or anybody got any advice.

I Hate Import Cars
11-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Adjust the valves, then move forward. When doing valve adjustment, (which, FYI, should have been done before motor was ever started) inspect rockers and top of valve stems for excessive wear and damage. If none, set valve lash and be done. If the tapping goes away, you're good. If not, well, it wasn't your valve adjustment! :) Hope that helps.

Splashystrwbery
11-20-2007, 11:53 PM
good advice!

if u were in phx id let u borrow my gagues.

g-rex
11-21-2007, 12:07 AM
i can try it and see what happens, i got a chiltons that explains it. why would the engine be toast if its knocking like that. assuming it wasnt the valves/rockers. i looked and all my pistons are fine i even cleaned them.

I Hate Import Cars
11-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Depends what kind of sound it is. A knocking or ticking or tapping can mean A LOT of things, i.e. rod/main bearings, wrist pins, valves, cams, pistons...pretty much anything that moves when the motor is running. Without hearing it, it's a little hard to tell you what EXACTLY it is.

g-rex
11-21-2007, 02:30 AM
i took these things out of the head and it greatly reduced the tapping sound. still taps but nowhere near as loud. these arent on my non-vtec head so i have no idea what these are. also when going from a 90 to a 95 head why is it necessary to install the newer fuel pressure regulator as well?
its four of them
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd83/ghonyx/IMAGE_00100.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd83/ghonyx/IMAGE_00097.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd83/ghonyx/IMAGE_00096.jpg

g-rex
11-21-2007, 11:50 AM
any1 know what these are..?

g-rex
11-23-2007, 08:58 AM
...anyone..?

cashflow
11-23-2007, 09:04 AM
lost motion assembly

I Hate Import Cars
11-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Lost motion assembly for a vtec head. The vtec cam lobe runs on that until the vtec crossover. If it is not recieving proper lubrication it could get noisy. I'd check the oil flow path in the head. Do they compress freely in yout hand? I don't know single cam stuff very well, but on a B series they should be able to be squeezed by hand, then will spring back out. Hope that helps.

I Hate Import Cars
11-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Wait, does vtec engage correctly on this car?

g-rex
11-23-2007, 06:36 PM
no as of now i dont have the vtec controller wired in im just tryin to get it running right without it first then worry about vtec. and yes i can squeeze them down by hand. i took the oil control jet outta my block though so it should be gettin enough oil.

IntegraDA
11-23-2007, 06:40 PM
good to hear the head worked! its been sitting for so long. lol. i thought i mentioned that you needed to adjust the lash upon buying it from me. If not, you need to adjust the valve lash. lol.

I Hate Import Cars
11-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Like I said, I don't know single cam vtec heads very well, but that oil control jet was in there for a reason. I'd leave it in there. You gotta think, taking it out may increase volume, but it's going to kill pressure. Oil pressure is VITAL to an engine's survival. Think of it this way; it didn't make all that noise and have problems from the factory, right? And that oil controller was in it from the factory, right? OKay then....

g-rex
11-24-2007, 02:00 PM
well i put a z6 head on it and that wasnt from the factory besides the vtec heads have a oil controller built in it. thats y u take it out or else it will be too much pressure and vtec wont engage.

imm0rtal
11-24-2007, 02:13 PM
well i put a z6 head on it and that wasnt from the factory besides the vtec heads have a oil controller built in it. thats y u take it out or else it will be too much pressure and vtec wont engage.So you made a mini-me? Bet you forgot to take the oiljet out of the block, didn't you?

g-rex
11-24-2007, 06:54 PM
no its out...

kawgomoo
12-06-2007, 11:21 PM
those stop the vtec rockers from flailing around wildly inside your engine. for the love of christ put them back in. they are just spring loaded plungers.

g-rex
12-19-2007, 05:24 AM
cool i feel like an idiot but i actually put the lma in from the top instead of the bottom. went to collective and got it put together right and my valves adjusted. runs like a champ now!