PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Builder

cspcrx
11-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Has anyone used Chucks Speed shop for a motor build. Need to have my B18C that is already apart. Block needs to be bored and hones since i have .25 over pistons. I heard from other SCCA guys they do formula atlantic motors so it sounds like they understand how to build a 4 cyl. Thanks First post but many of you may recognize me and my Red 86 CRX SI B16 powered. One of the first to be down. Thanks again guys.

Tage
11-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I've used them multiple times. Lance is the main guy I've dealt with. Their prices are fair and their turn around time is incredible.

The best service I've found in the valley and their work is 10x better than Basko and just as good as a couple other "high end" shops I've used.

I'd recommend them to anyone.

JustinD
11-30-2007, 08:15 PM
The best service I've found in the valley and their work is 10x better than Basko and just as good as a couple other "high end" shops I've used.

I'd recommend them to anyone.

awesome. i've asked around a few times for a good local machine shop that is familiar with honda's with no luck.

i've had a couple bad experiences with Basko. Don't wanna go back there.

cspcrx
12-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks tage. I should have asked you when we spoke the other night. I have most everything for the block, mines bearings, rings etc. O and a head. But Ive got a line on one just waiting to hear back on it.

Tage
12-01-2007, 11:38 AM
awesome. i've asked around a few times for a good local machine shop that is familiar with honda's with no luck.

i've had a couple bad experiences with Basko. Don't wanna go back there.

Honestly I'm not sure how familiar they are specifically with Honda's so you do need to know your stuff somewhat so you can tell them what you want.

As an example, you can't just drop off a Honda block and say, "machine this please". You need to walk in there saying something like, "I'd like the mains align honed but please make sure to not remove more than .0006". I want the deck surfaced just enough to make it flat but no more than .015". Here's my 4 pistons which I've numbered, please hone them to fit in the corresponding cylinders and I'd like a piston to wall clearance as close to .0025" as you can get it. If any of the piston bores are out of round by more than .003" before you start honing, call me."

FYI - I think Basko is the worst machine shop in the valley...

PhoenixB16
12-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Vic right? Brett that had the JRSC Si from the old streetflight days/CSi. Hows 5he car been holding up

JustinD
12-01-2007, 12:54 PM
FYI - I think Basko is the worst machine shop in the valley...

my issues with them were not regarding the machining i needed done at all.

my issues both times were customer service / response time related.

I took a k20 cam gear down there 1 time with a full detailed drawing of what i needed done (with exact measurements) ... they said they could do it and it would only be $50 (it was a very small job, only a small amount of material to be cut off)

5 weeks later, i had heard nothing and left a few messages .. so i went down there and they had'nt even touched it yet. Still dissasembled in the box i brought it in. So i took my part and left.

HEADSHOT
12-01-2007, 01:58 PM
my issues with them were not regarding the machining i needed done at all.

my issues both times were customer service / response time related.

I took a k20 cam gear down there 1 time with a full detailed drawing of what i needed done (with exact measurements) ... they said they could do it and it would only be $50 (it was a very small job, only a small amount of material to be cut off)

5 weeks later, i had heard nothing and left a few messages .. so i went down there and they had'nt even touched it yet. Still dissasembled in the box i brought it in. So i took my part and left.

x2.. and they make you feel like you are wasting their time...

cspcrx
12-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks Tage. When I get everything out of storage I maybe calling and bugging you.
PhoenixB16, its me. Cars been running great up until last Wednesday. Took it in to get it emissions tested, passed, and on my way home that evening motor pops leaving a stop light. I lost one about 6 years ago this same way. Just leaving a light and a valve head pops off the stem and blows the motor. I do not know yet exactly what happened with this one but the #1 spark plug looks like it was stuck in a blender. Im moving into a new home in two weeks and everything is in storage so I have to wait until I have access to my stuff. Sucks, I just got the roll bar in, new seats, harnesses and my new custom radiator is supposed to be done in a week. Was gearing up for the January Nasa event. Now Im looking to build a motor. Luckely I have a block and most of the parts for it. Just need a head. I have a few lines on one right now. In the past I just got JDM B16s and put my Skunk2s in it and bolt ons. But since two have died leaving stop lights, and I was not doing 7k clutch drops, its time to just build something that can take the abuse.

Tage
12-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Multiple people all the same the problem with Basko. My comment on them being the worst in the valley is bad customer service, bad follow through, bad machine work, and to top it off Ray is such a sleeze ball salesman...

cspcrx
12-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Multiple people all the same the problem with Basko. My comment on them being the worst in the valley is bad customer service, bad follow through, bad machine work, and to top it off Ray is such a sleeze ball salesman...

Isnt basko the company that several years back built peoples motors when they still had cleaning media in them. I thought a few people found sand and cloged oil and water jackets. I could be wrong about the company. Tage, were they the ones that decked the block at an angle?

I Hate Import Cars
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
WHOA WHOA WHOA! Wait a minute there, guys. What's wrong with Basko?

*inFamous*
12-03-2007, 10:43 AM

please tell me your kidding.

The President
12-03-2007, 10:49 AM

read above...

*inFamous*
12-03-2007, 10:50 AM
read above...

im hoping hes kidding, his motor had problems related to basko :)

I Hate Import Cars
12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
im hoping hes kidding, his motor had problems related to basko :)

"Motor problems"? Is that what you'd call it? Cause I'd call THAT the understatement of the year...

*inFamous*
12-03-2007, 10:52 AM
haha good i wasn't sure man, but yea.

kawgomoo
12-05-2007, 02:38 AM
dont blame the machine shop for valve clearence issues if they didnt assemble the entire motor.

valve heads popping off sounds like too big of cams/valves and or the cam timing was wacked out... anyway around it valves colliding will pop there heads off.

*inFamous*
12-05-2007, 07:04 AM
valves? his motor had more issues than valves :)

kawgomoo
12-05-2007, 02:09 PM
lol that i dont doubt. theres so many junk machine shops in the valley. but any clearence issue is the job of the engine assembler not the machinist to make sure its right.

ive had lots of problems with grenaded h22's using skunk valvetrains that the customer assembled themselves. it seems oversized valves and skunk cams is a problem waiting to happen. very few people check how far they can sweep t he cams much less degree them in before firing the motor. what he described is exactly what happened to my boy xavier. he blindly trusted the degree markings on the cam gears to be correct, instead of doing it the right way. so when he thought they were straight up they in fact were not. it took a while to find the problem because he kept bringing us the blown up engine with no gears or cams. just brought us the long block each time so we couldnt fully diagnose it.

i have heard nothing but good about chucks, we dont use them but occasionaly use there dyno for our higher hp cars {when the dynapak cant hold them}

*inFamous*
12-05-2007, 02:14 PM
i didn't even know anything was wrong with his valves honeslty lol. i do know his motor was assembled like a drunk person did it (guess who assembled it) *cough basko*

I Hate Import Cars
12-05-2007, 05:32 PM
dont blame the machine shop for valve clearence issues if they didnt assemble the entire motor.

valve heads popping off sounds like too big of cams/valves and or the cam timing was wacked out... anyway around it valves colliding will pop there heads off.

Dear Sweet Baby Jesus. PLEASE tell me you're not talking about MY motor...I am in no mood to deal with idiots.

kawgomoo
12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
i have no idea about what happened to your motor or situation. but if you assembled it, and you didnt catch what was wrong before it all fell apart the burden is on you. i was making a general statement, not talking about anyone in particular and if anything i was saying that to cspcrx, not you. this is his thread afterall.

watch your mouth.

I Hate Import Cars
12-05-2007, 05:47 PM
i have no idea about what happened to your motor or situation. but if you assembled it, and you didnt catch what was wrong before it all fell apart the burden is on you. i was making a general statement, not talking about anyone in particular and if anything i was saying that to cspcrx, not you. this is his thread afterall.

watch your mouth.

Don't get your panties in a wad. I ASKED you if you were talking about my motor, didn't I? I gave you a chance you clear your name. Relax.

kawgomoo
12-05-2007, 06:32 PM
super stressful day at work... im all on edge.

my boss thinks its cool to raid my toolbox when im at lunch or have my hood down welding so i cant see whats going on. just want to bail, but i have a family and all that. ehh... lifes a drag today.

my bad, not tryin to snap at anyone.

cspcrx
12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback on Chucks. As soon as I get my parts out of storage Ill give them a call. Sounds like no negatives and thats good to hear.