PDA

View Full Version : shaving side moldings

silverteg
12-03-2007, 08:41 PM
so i starting to prep my car for paint and wanna get rid of the side moldings its a 99 teg.
is there any way with out welding that anyone would reccomend like jb welding some metal from the inside and filling it with more jb weld then sanding it.
i really dont wanna use bondo or anything like that cause ive heard of bad things from them.
or if anyone knows a place or anyone that can weld without costing and arm and leg let me know

silverteg
12-03-2007, 09:30 PM
anyone

silverteg
12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
any input??

redwidow
12-04-2007, 08:34 PM
you can pull some of the area out with a puller tool and then use minimal body filler, i done it with my car

silverteg
12-04-2007, 08:46 PM
would the jb weld thing work

redwidow
12-04-2007, 08:47 PM
no way

advert
12-04-2007, 09:08 PM
you could fiber glass it.

cashflow
12-04-2007, 09:24 PM
welding would probably be better that way you wont have any cracks or have any worries of it sinking into the hole later down the road

silverteg
12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
anyone know anywhere or anyone that can weld and then smooth it out

redwidow
12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
probably any body shop, just make sure they do what you ask them to but pick up an extra arm or leg like you said.:doobie:

kawgomoo
12-05-2007, 02:27 AM
if you pack it full of filler be it bondo, glass, carbon fiber, kryptonite whatever its going to crack and fall the fuck out.

you have to do the metal work otherwise you are just destroying a perfectly good car. see "ricer"

even then welding guarantees nothing. its easy to get too much heat in teh door and warp the crap out of it.

redwidow
12-05-2007, 11:48 AM
if you pack it full of filler be it bondo, glass, carbon fiber, kryptonite whatever its going to crack and fall the fuck out.

you have to do the metal work otherwise you are just destroying a perfectly good car. see "ricer"

even then welding guarantees nothing. its easy to get too much heat in teh door and warp the crap out of it.

If its done right it will not "fall the fuck out" just don't half ass it, here's a shot at my door shaved. I done this about 7 years ago:thumbup:

I had the car repainted almost 2 yrs ago...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/redwidow/DSC00429.jpg

kawgomoo
12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
looking good in a picture is easier than in person. out here its not too bad, back home the the tempature swings so much the glass would almost always pop off the metal, unless you made little standoffs for it to grab onto.

i dont like shaved moldings, cause then teh asshole at walmart has nothing slowing his door down when he swings it open into your nice fresh paint.

but hey thats just my .02

The President
12-05-2007, 03:18 PM
just get the JDM thin moldings and don't worry about shaving it. just my .02

redwidow
12-05-2007, 03:29 PM
looking good in a picture is easier than in person. out here its not too bad, back home the the tempature swings so much the glass would almost always pop off the metal, unless you made little standoffs for it to grab onto.

i dont like shaved moldings, cause then teh asshole at walmart has nothing slowing his door down when he swings it open into your nice fresh paint.

but hey thats just my .02

picture or in person looks clean, im not fiberglassed, and I don't park at walmart in this car. In my other car I park in the middle of no where by myself. And on occassion a clunker will park next to you for no reason, maybe to get on your nerves because they know we are trying to stay away from them beaters.

kawgomoo
12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
lol you know what i meant. you can park 7 miles from anywhere and when you come out the store some fucknut in a 83 caprice classic will be parked 8 inches from your door.

if you didnt use metal, and you didnt use polyester resin i really have no idea what you filled your moldings with, unless you found door skins with no moldings.

RarriMarquis
12-17-2007, 08:46 AM
you can use long strand fiberglass aka evercoat kitty hair.