PDA

View Full Version : Port and Polish TB

prelude202
12-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Is port and polishing the the throttle body worth the time and money??

Get any power gains on top of doing this??

I Hate Import Cars
12-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Look into it. It's been argued both ways. I've SEEN a flow test done that showed that a stock B16 throttle body flowed more cfm than a stock B16 manifold can by far, so unless you're having port work done in the manifold as well, there's not much point to it. I had mine done by www.maxbore.com, but then, I have my head and manifold ported as well, so it's a little different story. I never had mine dyno'd stock though, so I can't give you hard numbers. Sorry.

Tage
12-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Endyn (sorta reputable high end'ish engine builder/tuner) claimed they made nearly 300 crank HP on a B-series with a 64mm TB and a ported ITR manifold.

Unless you're making over 200WHP I think you'd be better off just making sure you have a 60mm (i.e. Prelude or GSR) TB and spending your money elsewhere.

I think a lot of people with 65, 68 or even the 70mm TB like them because "bigger is better" and they look pretty cool and probably have some fancy "PRO SERIES" logo on it or something. Additionally, they might "feel" faster because 25% throttle with a 58mm TB will not flow as much CFM as 25% throttle with a 70mm. In an "apples to apples" comparison across all throttle positions the bigger TB will likely make more power but as it gets closer to WOT they're both likely flowing the same exact amount due to limitation of the engine besides the TB. Hope that helps.

kawgomoo
12-08-2007, 01:27 AM
bigger can also mean lazy. too much throttle body not always a good thing.

as far as endyn... claims is the key word. that dude is so full of shit. larry windmere can kiss my ass. just like his 400+whp jrsc b16, with a 3/4" deck riser welded on. not that he ever mentioned longer sleeves.. much less how your gonna sleeve a siamese block {this was pre darton days} i dont even think a 42ci blower can move enough air to support 500hp. or he can take some off the shelf wiseco pistons, run across the dome with a 3/8's ball endmill and call them "rollerwave" that dude just needs to die.

bumpstick
12-08-2007, 02:18 AM
every little bit helps, like gun drilled cams

kawgomoo
12-08-2007, 02:06 PM
lol.. bigger is not always better. the velocity of the air is just as important as the raw cfm.

gun drilling cams... come on now. you are removing mass from the middle, where it has the least amount of inertia or "flywheel effect" you are going to see far more performance from lightening flywheels, removing parasitic loss {accessories} and a whole grip of other shit before you notice any difference from the 3 grams of weight you gutted from your cam.

unless your driving an f1 car or something.