PDA

View Full Version : iddle problem

azrex91
12-06-2007, 09:52 PM
well i just finished up my h22 in my cb7 but now it idlles up n down and all the air hoses are connected wat could it be please help thanks

Thresher
12-07-2007, 12:44 AM
sounds like it could be a sensor. it reads temp from your coolant not sure where its located but my car started doing that once when i had a coolant leak

azrex91
12-08-2007, 09:10 AM
A Problem That I Also Have Is That The Engine Would Be Cold And My Temp Marks That It Is Over Heating, The Temperature Gauge Just Rises Up To The Max In Like 15 Seconds, What Could Be Causing This Please Help Thanks

owequitit
12-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Most likely causes are air in the system, or a faulty FIV valve.

You can test the FIV by plugging the bottom airhole inside of the throttle body. If the surging goes away, then it is not closing properly when the engine is warmed up, and is causing the idle surge.

You may also need to adjust your idle using the factory recommended procedure.

ttom86
12-08-2007, 10:29 AM
iacv valve

owequitit
12-08-2007, 12:11 PM
iacv valve

On these engines, it is far more likely that it is the Thermowax FIV valve, as the wax dries out and then doesn't work properly.

azrex91
12-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Where Is This Valve Located Cause I Have No Idea Can Someone Give Me A Hint Thanks

owequitit
12-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Where Is This Valve Located Cause I Have No Idea Can Someone Give Me A Hint Thanks

The Fast Idle Thermal Valve or FIV for short is located on the bottom of the Throttle Body. It is the part that has two coolant hoses running to it.

When the car is cold, the wax contracts allowing more airflow in order to bring the idle up, so the engine warms up better and the idle does not surge.

Once the coolant warms up, the wax gets hot and expands, closing the valve off, leaving the IACV or Idle Air Control Valve, to maintain the proper idle speed.

Often times, if the idle is not set to spec and/or the FIV is faulty, it will cause the bouncing idle that you are having.

A third possibility is that there is an air bubble in the FIV, causing it to not operate properly.

Also, it should be noted that if the FIV sits without coolant for a long period of time, then the wax tends to dry out quicker.

azrex91
12-08-2007, 03:14 PM
The Fast Idle Thermal Valve or FIV for short is located on the bottom of the Throttle Body. It is the part that has two coolant hoses running to it.

When the car is cold, the wax contracts allowing more airflow in order to bring the idle up, so the engine warms up better and the idle does not surge.

Once the coolant warms up, the wax gets hot and expands, closing the valve off, leaving the IACV or Idle Air Control Valve, to maintain the proper idle speed.

Often times, if the idle is not set to spec and/or the FIV is faulty, it will cause the bouncing idle that you are having.

A third possibility is that there is an air bubble in the FIV, causing it to not operate properly.

Also, it should be noted that if the FIV sits without coolant for a long period of time, then the wax tends to dry out quicker.
k thanks 4 ur help, i will look into it

EGHatchSC
12-08-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm a honda mechanic, loosen the bolts on the T.P.S on your throttle body and advance it a little bit and i guaruntee your idle will set back to normal. After you loosen those bolts on the TPS start up the car and turn it until the idle returns to normal.

owequitit
12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Was the TPS that came with the engine broken?

Wholesaler
12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm a honda mechanic, loosen the bolts on the T.P.S on your throttle body and advance it a little bit and i guaruntee your idle will set back to normal. After you loosen those bolts on the TPS start up the car and turn it until the idle returns to normal.

What dealer do you work at so I can never go there or recommend someone to

azrex91
12-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Was the TPS that came with the engine broken?

no it wasnt

ttom86
12-09-2007, 10:07 AM
What dealer do you work at so I can never go there or recommend someone to

bahahaha....no joke....

owequitit
12-09-2007, 11:45 AM
no it wasnt

Considering they are calibrated from the factory, and the only issue with this would be if it were broken and you had to replace it, I wouldn't worry too much about the TPS.

Almost every H22 swap I have dealt with had a fault FIV from sitting though. The idle adjustment screw on the TB should also have been set from the factory, so unless you messed with it, I wouldn't start there either.

Here is what your FIV options are. There are 3 of them, if it is indeed bad.

1) Replace with a new one. I think they are about $70 if you order one from hondaautomotiveparts.com.

2) You can pull cover off the old one and tighten the plunger down. This places more pressure on the wax, and will probably work for a little while. However, this is a TEMPORARY solution only. It will eventually fail again. I have seen some go for a few months, and some not work at all.

3) Here is what I did. I built a block off plate out of a soda can. I traced out the shape that I needed, cut the aluminum from the can, sanded the ends, and then used Hondabond to ensure a good seal. So far I have not had any problems, although the aluminum is probably a little thin. I ordered a new FIV, but just haven't had the time or desire to put it on yet.

azrex91
12-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Well Thanks Guys I Replaced The Fiv Valve And That Was The Problem Know It Idles Normal Thanks For The Tips