PDA

View Full Version : will this work or am I missing something

cspcrx
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Ok putting the parts together for my new motor since the B16 blew. Here is what i have so far.

Block = B18C1
Crank = ITR
Rods = ITR with ARP bolts
Pistons = CTR
Ill get an ITR water & oil pump
Head = ITR
Cams = Skunk2 Stage 2 (coming out of my blown B16)
Springs & Retainers = Skunk2 (coming out of my blown B16)
Valves = stock compression 0.5mm over, have not picked these yet, ideas?
Flywheel = Toda ultra light (coming out of my blown B16)
Intake manifold = ITR
TB = Edelbrock
Exhaust manifold = 4-2-1 not sure if I can use the one on my B16

Not sure if I have missed something as far as these parts working together and what kind of power numbers I should expect. Looks like it will all work and should be around 12:1 compression and over 200hp. Any recomendations on the valves and if the B16 header will work?

I Hate Import Cars
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I think your B16 header will work just fine. Just an FYI, Type R and GSR oil pumps are the same. Type R and GSR have the same stroke (i.e., same crank) and same rod length, (although I THINK that ITR rods are a little more "refined" I guess you could say). Type R and B16 heads are from the same castings. Everything looks good except the CTR pistons. I'm not saying they WON'T work, so don't get me wrong, I just don't know if they WILL work so I don't want to say YA DO IT, then have it blow up. I'm sure someone else on here will know though. Everything else looks like a Type R basically.

cspcrx
01-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Piston valve clearance?

cLeAn_Ek9
01-10-2008, 01:15 AM
ctr will clear but very high compression if ur using a gsr head it's 12 to 1 b16 it drops downgo to c-speedracing.com to chek ur compression ratio

cspcrx
01-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I have used their site thats where I came up with the 12:1 number in the original post. Not sure which piston to deck height number to use. But if I used the B18 it comes in at 11.8. Figure its a B18C block so the 0.030 number is correct. Thanks for clearing up the valve piston clearance. That was one thing I was concerned about.
That being said I may be able to go with the high compression valves then since its below 12:1. If my calculations on their site are correct.

I Hate Import Cars
01-10-2008, 11:56 AM
high compression valves

WTF?

cspcrx
01-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Stock valves have a dish in them. Most of the aftermarket valves are offered in a flat pass that raises the compression slightly.

*inFamous*
01-10-2008, 01:17 PM
AKA flattop valves kyle :)

OH and the P73 and Pr3 heads are NOT identical, dont forget the Factory P n P on the ITR :)

cspcrx
01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Thats why i hunted for a ITR head for this build. I have been told its not that much of a difference. But I figure every little bit helps. I can not afford a full P&P job at this time. Ill be interested to compare the two when I get the B16 head off of the blown motor.

I Hate Import Cars
01-10-2008, 11:02 PM
AKA flattop valves kyle :)

OH and the P73 and Pr3 heads are NOT identical, dont forget the Factory P n P on the ITR :)

Gotcha. I didn't think that people would ACTUALLY try to market that kind of crap. Any compression gained would be extremely minimal I think...and as for the heads, I know this. That's why I said that they're from the same CASTINGS. ;)

Slow_EJ1
01-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Type R and GSR have the same stroke (i.e., same crank)

Itr and gsr are not the same, stroke is but the crank has beefier counter balances for higher revs

*inFamous*
01-10-2008, 11:18 PM
I didnt' even spot that, yup hes right, the ITR is modified for higher revolutions along with coming with a different set of valves in general designed for higher RPM's (they are lighter than other VTEC models along with having slightly slimmer stems).

I Hate Import Cars
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Itr and gsr are not the same, stroke is but the crank has beefier counter balances for higher revs

Are you SURE about that? I'm not, so I'm not saying you're wrong, but I was under the impression that the cranks come from the same castings, same foundry, same main and pin diameters, same stroke, but the ITR crank is LIGHTENED (not weighted) and balanced against the rest of the rotating assembly, thus the higher rev capability of the bottom end.

Slow_EJ1
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
And sodium filled

I Hate Import Cars
01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
And sodium filled

All? I think only the exhausts are, but I don't KNOW for sure. Anyone know this?

Slow_EJ1
01-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Are you SURE about that? I'm not, so I'm not saying you're wrong, but I was under the impression that the cranks come from the same castings, same foundry, same main and pin diameters, same stroke, but the ITR crank is LIGHTENED (not weighted) and balanced against the rest of the rotating assembly, thus the higher rev capability of the bottom end.

Umm no, if you want a motor to be reliable at high rpm's you want weight in the bottom end... light crank would kill bearings with the engine harmonics. The only thing lighter on the itr is the flywheel.

I Hate Import Cars
01-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Umm no, if you want a motor to be reliable at high rpm's you want weight in the bottom end... light crank would kill bearings with the engine harmonics.

Fair enough. Like I said, I don't KNOW, so that's why I was asking you. So then, do the ITR and GSR cranks come from totally different castings?

Slow_EJ1
01-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Probably seeing how the r is casted with a "r" right on it to signify that its for an itr

I Hate Import Cars
01-10-2008, 11:45 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Well that kinda clears THAT up, doesn't it?! I'm retarded. Thanks for the info though. :)

cspcrx
01-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Looks like everyone is gaining something from this thread.
I plan on haveing the entire rotating assembly balanced. I need to pull the flywheel and pulley off of the B16 motor so I can take it down with the B18 parts for the machine work. The crank was knife edged by the previous owner so I do not trust the accuracy of the work. If the journals need work does honda sell different sizes of bearings? I can not recall and I dont see them listed on the parts lists.

Slow_EJ1
01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Looks like everyone is gaining something from this thread.
I plan on haveing the entire rotating assembly balanced. I need to pull the flywheel and pulley off of the B16 motor so I can take it down with the B18 parts for the machine work. The crank was knife edged by the previous owner so I do not trust the accuracy of the work. If the journals need work does honda sell different sizes of bearings? I can not recall and I dont see them listed on the parts lists.

Yes they do, and they go by colors.

cspcrx
01-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Great thank you. Been many many years since I had to build a honda engine from scratch. I imagine the dealer can give me sizes and the machine shop can let me know what I need. Thank you.

no2psi
01-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Ok putting the parts together for my new motor since the B16 blew. Here is what i have so far.

Block = B18C1
Crank = ITR
Rods = ITR with ARP bolts
Pistons = CTR
Ill get an ITR water & oil pump
Head = ITR
Cams = Skunk2 Stage 2 (coming out of my blown B16)
Springs & Retainers = Skunk2 (coming out of my blown B16)
Valves = stock compression 0.5mm over, have not picked these yet, ideas?
Flywheel = Toda ultra light (coming out of my blown B16)
Intake manifold = ITR
TB = Edelbrock
Exhaust manifold = 4-2-1 not sure if I can use the one on my B16

Not sure if I have missed something as far as these parts working together and what kind of power numbers I should expect. Looks like it will all work and should be around 12:1 compression and over 200hp. Any recomendations on the valves and if the B16 header will work?

Do you know why the last motor "blew"?
The reason i ask is because you are reusing valve train from a blown motor.
If you "clicked" valves or dropped one, you might want to buy a new set.
and if the header was made for a b16 typically you cant use them on a 1.8 block due to deck height differences.
Good luck!
Let us know how it turns out.

cspcrx
01-12-2008, 08:03 AM
I have not pulled the head to see why the B16 blew. I just know the #1 cylinder spark plug looks like it got stuck in a blender.
I only plan on using the Springs, retainers and cams from the B16. Valves I am purchasing new for the ITR head. I will check the retainers to insure one isnt broken and the cause of the death of the B16.

I Hate Import Cars
01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Do you know why the last motor "blew"?
The reason i ask is because you are reusing valve train from a blown motor.
If you "clicked" valves or dropped one, you might want to buy a new set.
and if the header was made for a b16 typically you cant use them on a 1.8 block due to deck height differences.
Good luck!
Let us know how it turns out.

Shit. Good call. I forgot. Listen to this man on the header issue. Actually, listen to the rest of his post too!