PDA

View Full Version : FS: Driving lessons???

Tage
01-10-2008, 10:17 AM
After working with some long time drivers last weekend and showing that their cars are capable of more than they've been extracting out of them, I've received several PM's and emails from folks wanting me to work with them to help them improve their lap times.

I love performance driving and teaching my personal secrets to those that want to learn. I'm not trying to get rich, but I also don't have unlimited amount of free time so I wanted to make it clear that my services are not "free" either.

There's a dude out in CA who's a pretty good driver/instructor who charges $1000 per second of improved lap time. While that's actually not a horrible deal I'm not going to charge anywhere near that, but wanted to list that for the sake of comparison.

I'm thinking I'll charge a flat rate of $100 per day and then I'll charge an additional $20 for every tenth of a second that you improve your lap times by. I'll also cap the total out of pocket cost to any potential customers to $200 total.
NOTE: If I can't beat your best time that day, you don't owe me anything.

My requirements are that you have an onboard hot lap timer or transponder (rental) and a passenger seat with 5 point harness (i.e. HANS compatible).

PM me for additional details.

P.S. I'll also accept trades/favors for similar value items for my time (i.e. my "friends" that have asked for help, I'm likely not looking for cash from you).

P.P.S. While I'm tagged as a "FWD guy", I consider myself just as good with RWD and AWD.

Chinky
01-10-2008, 12:18 PM
damn that would be dope to learn how beat up the track. what if ur a noob and have never tried? how would u charge for improvement time? as i'm sure if u hit the track once or twice ur time will be all over the place just cause of the newness of the whole sport to u.

BlueTeg
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Vouch for Tage, click here (http://forums.clubracingaz.com/showthread.php?t=1371)

damn that would be dope to learn how beat up the track. what if ur a noob and have never tried? how would u charge for improvement time? as i'm sure if u hit the track once or twice ur time will be all over the place just cause of the newness of the whole sport to u.

If you are brand new (aka HPDE1), an instructor (not Tage) will ride with you all day show you the ropes at no charge. (the instructors "fee" is built into the registration fee you pay).

Tage would likely be better suited for an HPDE2 or higher driver.

Chinky
01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
what do all those letters with a 2 at the end of it mean?

and i didn't know someone rides with u for free and teaches u the ropes.

BlueTeg
01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
HPDE = High Peformance Driving Education/Experience

1 = first timer
2 = beginner
3 = intermediate
4 = advanced

For more information go here: http://www.clubracingaz.com/newdriver.html

BlueTeg
01-10-2008, 01:24 PM
and i didn't know someone rides with u for free and teaches u the ropes.

It sharpens the learning curve (and the safety curve) drastically to have someone ride with you to give you instruction.
You'll also sit through a few classrooms sessions where they will go over basic track ettiquette and how to's on driving technique.

^ this is all included in your reg fee if you are a first timer.

Tage
01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I'd actually recommend HPDE3 or higher but I'll gladly take HPDE2 money as well. :) The only reason I say that is likely you can get free instruction at the HPDE2 level. HPDE = "High Performance Driver Education". The number after it goes as follows:

HPDE1 = Noob & you get an instructor with you. Your lap times will likely vary by 10+ seconds. The class will focus on technique, watching your mirrors, track etiquette, flags, etc. (i.e. NOT lap times).

HPDE2 = You're no longer a noob and the officals feel you're likely not a threat to society on track and you can run by yourself (unless you want instruction)

HPDE3 = You're trusted enough to not make dumb ass mistakes and can pass wherever/whenever it's safe

HPDE4/Time Trial = Basically race group but since everyone is going for a fast lap, not position, everyone usually courteous and not necessarily dive bombing you on corner entry lap after lap.

EDIT: I'm slow... Thx Gabe.

topramn
01-10-2008, 08:11 PM
i vouch for this mans services.. i saw him work with several drivers this past weekend and everyone was pleased with the results.. good job tage.. i will definitely look to have you as a passenger later this year once my car gets going and i have earned some decent seat time..

ILIKETODRIVE
01-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I will vouch for Tage and his ability to drive forever and ever and ever. Period. :clapper:

locash
01-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I think that Tage should pay YOU money if he can't beat your time. :)

Can you make me drag race a second faster? :)

*inFamous*
01-11-2008, 02:10 AM
Tage i need to get a ride along with you sometime and maybe a pointer or two. Blah someday i'll get my whip back on the road :(

PhoenixB16
01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
i really need this. I want to get back into 3 sooooo badly but i just feel like the rust has built up a little to far.....

teamsol
01-12-2008, 02:15 PM
damn thats not a bad deal

yosshaa
01-15-2008, 10:39 AM
tage is a great driving instructor. Money spent with him is better then any equal cash thrown away on meaningless car mods.

BUY TAGE NOT AN INTAKE.:clapper:

DXE
01-25-2008, 12:20 AM
HA! i got this for free! kinda... haha

comptonasskerry
01-25-2008, 01:52 AM
tage is a great driving instructor. Money spent with him is better then any equal cash thrown away on meaningless car mods.

BUY TAGE NOT AN INTAKE.:clapper:

tage is the name last event i was at he took out a car not going to say and i know he was pulling atleast 1 sec faster lap times out of it and fixed a problem on the car that was costing the driver lap times and trannys.

i agree dont get an intake and get tage in ur car and learn more about ur car and ur driving. he is a mater of the fwd and a pretty cool guy also.:snookems:

The President
01-25-2008, 12:50 PM
tage is the name last event i was at he took out a car not going to say and i know he was pulling atleast 1 sec faster lap times out of it and fixed a problem on the car that was costing the driver lap times and trannys.

i agree dont get an intake and get tage in ur car and learn more about ur car and ur driving. he is a mater of the fwd and a pretty cool guy also.:snookems:

hey, congrats on not turning this thread into garbage!

but back to topic.

Sounds like a pretty sound investment dude (for people that are learning from you). good luck with your ventures.

4sd4dr
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Tage, I would so be all over this if I were still in AZ. Maybe when I move back...!!!

Hopeless EP3
01-28-2008, 08:44 PM
ok what if im a total noob thats looking to getting into roadacing (never has done it in life)

Tage
01-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Anyone that's a noob should just sign up for DE1 as there's lots to learn that day besides just driving fast. Anyone that's a DE2 driver will still get free instruction from any one of the many NASA driving instructors available. My services are more geared towards the seasoned DE3 and above level driver that is stuck running the same lap times and want to see if the car has more in it than their driving ability is allowing.

EDIT: Likely this forum is the wrong audience (as most on here are DE1 or DE2 and maybe a handful of DE3 and above) but I simply cut and paste posted this "add" in all the forums that I frequent.

LiLinsane
01-31-2008, 02:24 PM

Mater: Wreck? Shoot! I'm the world's best backwards driver! Just watch this right here, lover boy.

cibola
01-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Tage

I am intrested in having you look at my line and get some feedback. We will work out the cost since you will be coaching me from PIR Race Control (not the nasa control room), instead of in car, you have a great look at the whole track. It will be a whole weekend plus if you are intrested.

We will be reviewing tapes and track maps to come up with shift points and brake zones.

This will be in the enduro car that has no passenger seat with no ability to put one in.

I will be sorting out the car during the March and April events so we would be looking at the May event. Block me in for the whole weekend on May 3rd and 4th.

Scott
cibola@cox.net

KrenzyRyan
01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
I need to look into this stuff, I think I'm about ready.

bwagon
04-11-2008, 05:10 PM
One of the best drivers in our area FWD, RWD, AWD. Autox, roadrace, and probably go karts :P I am a local autoxer (Clint) who has learned by riding with him in the past.

It is way cheaper to drive faster than it is to buy parts.