PDA

View Full Version : b20vtec pcv help

ICD
01-14-2008, 08:28 PM
so i got a b17 gsr b20 and the head needs to get tapped for the pcv breather. does anyone know how to do this or were in can go get this done

I Hate Import Cars
01-15-2008, 01:33 AM
English Please.

ICD
01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
there ya go..hope it helps

I Hate Import Cars
01-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Still don't understand. What motor do you have? A B20? Or a B17? The PCV breather doesn't thread into the head. I'm not sure what you're talking about. What cylinder head are you using? Give us something to work with here...

ICD
01-16-2008, 12:03 PM
its a b20vtec is a b17 head..i was told i needed to get my valve cover tapped to add a pcv breather..wanted to know if this could help my smoking problem..and if anyone knew how to do this or were to go.

I Hate Import Cars
01-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Your head should already have a breather port on it. It should be pointing out of the back of the valve cover when standing in front of the car looking toward the back. It hooks into the intake tube normally, but sometimes people put just a filter on it, so yours may be that way. Do you have anything like that? Can you post a pic of the motor in the car?

ek9typer
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Do you even have your pcv valve hooked up????

ek9typer
01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Sounds to me like he wants to run a oil catch can tapped to the front of the valve cover.

badasstegy
01-16-2008, 09:38 PM
i dont got one either and my head is a 92 sir b16 head im not even using a pcv valve

ICD
01-16-2008, 09:42 PM
nope valve not there..nd yea i was told about the oil catch can as an option as well

ICD
01-16-2008, 09:44 PM
nope pcv valve not there..nd yea i was told about the oil catch can as an option as well

EGHatchSC
01-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Dang you still haven't got that done? honda sells fittings for the back of the engine to just run it from there, you can get an aftermarket catch can like endyn or k&n pretty cheap if you don't want to do the head thing

badasstegy
01-16-2008, 09:52 PM
what all would the oil catch can help with?

badasstegy
01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
bump

ICD
01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
badassteggy does ur car smoke at high rpms nd does it burn oil..what areyour problems wit your car witout pcv

Ran
01-16-2008, 11:54 PM
you gotta tap the back of your block and use a 90-95 LS breather box. that should take care of your crankcase pressures.

EGHatchSC
01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
ok, the crankcase pressure is going to high therefore the blowby smoke is going through and coming out the exhaust. Like if you take your breather box off your ls/gsr engine it will smoke like crazy when you floor it.

ek9typer
01-17-2008, 11:09 AM
The oil catch can help relieve crankcase pressure better than a pcv valve. Thats why most people who build race engines will install one sometimes even two. To much pressure can cause ring issues

ek9typer
01-17-2008, 11:17 AM
If your engine only smokes at high rpm you must have a pcv valve installed you probly are not looking In the right place. I took my pcv valve off once and the car smoked like crazy even at idle. Plus It was throwing raw oil out the tailpipe. the pcv vale should sit on the intake manifold between the runners and have a hose running down to a black box on the back side of the engine, the other hose should run to a fitting on the front part of the intake manidold.

I Hate Import Cars
01-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Sounds to me like he wants to run a oil catch can tapped to the front of the valve cover.

Kinda what I was thinking he was getting at...I just didn't want to take a noob down that road right out of the gate!

Dang you still haven't got that done? honda sells fittings for the back of the engine to just run it from there, you can get an aftermarket catch can like endyn or k&n pretty cheap if you don't want to do the head thing

Check mine out.

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41418

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38858&highlight=catch

you gotta tap the back of your block and use a 90-95 LS breather box. that should take care of your crankcase pressures.

Not true. There are already 2 holes that are tapped from the factory. And the breather box can be from any B series. And the hole for the breather box isn't threaded. It uses an O-ring.

The oil catch can help relieve crankcase pressure better than a pcv valve. Thats why most people who build race engines will install one sometimes even two. To much pressure can cause ring issues

True. You would be amazed at the actual numbers behind this stuff... Just know that if you expect to pass emissions inspections, you need to have the catch can relieved into the intake, either at the intake tube or at the manifold. This discussion has been had a hundred times on here, and I've written some very long but informitive responses if you care to search and find them. Or PM me and I can go into more detail for you. But for now, I hope this helps.

If your engine only smokes at high rpm you must have a pcv valve installed you probly are not looking In the right place. I took my pcv valve off once and the car smoked like crazy even at idle. Plus It was throwing raw oil out the tailpipe. the pcv vale should sit on the intake manifold between the runners and have a hose running down to a black box on the back side of the engine, the other hose should run to a fitting on the front part of the intake manidold.

Kind of...that hose that goes down under the manifold is actually just a vacuum source for the breather box on the back of the block. The PCV valve is usually in line between the valve cover and the intake tube. All a PCV valve is is a on-way check valve.

ek9typer
01-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Kind of...that hose that goes down under the manifold is actually just a vacuum source for the breather box on the back of the block. The PCV valve is usually in line between the valve cover and the intake tube. All a PCV valve is is a on-way check valve.[/QUOTE]

I had honda sell me every hose and grommet for the pcv system and thats how they told me to run it . Works fine. I have that fitting on the back of my valve cover going to the intake tube. I guess there are several ways to run the system:thumbup:

1lowtacoma
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
high comp b20V with no oil catch can, and a lil tiny mesh fitler on my valve cover.
No smoke at all.
Maybe your rings are going?

badasstegy
01-17-2008, 07:37 PM
mine smokes a little bit when I get on it but that's about it. it doesn't burn oil at all

ICD
01-17-2008, 08:49 PM
holy VTEC that some knowledge for my ass

ek9typer
01-17-2008, 09:14 PM
www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1490117 Hope this helps answer your question.

I Hate Import Cars
01-18-2008, 12:13 PM
^^^ good write up. It's pretty easy to do. I would suggest doing some research and learning these things; A) What causes pressure build up in the crankcase, B) What problems this can create, and how it creates them, and C) What methods of accomplishing this have been done before sucessfully, as this discussion is AT LEAST 40 years old. :) Hint; learn what "scavenging" is...;)

I had honda sell me every hose and grommet for the pcv system and thats how they told me to run it . Works fine. I have that fitting on the back of my valve cover going to the intake tube. I guess there are several ways to run the system:thumbup:

True story. Really, there a re MANY ways of doing this. Sorry if I sounded asshole-ish. Didn't mean to. All you're trying to do with this is to relieve the pressure that builds up in the crankcase, hence the "PCV" system name. (Positive Crankcase Ventilation)