PDA

View Full Version : Design Specific Turbocharging Systems

Mario Andres
01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Being there is a growing interest in useful turbocharged track cars (non-drag), whats really out on the market making over 300whp on relatively stock motors? ALso, i beleive big WHP numbers are a thing of the past and are useless for a daily driven vehicle. When we loook at the CARB kits on the market theres not much for the honda scene thats viewed as anything other than a "my first turbo / nooby" kit.

What would you be looking for in a turbo kit for your street vehicle? What if kits were designed for street cars where fuel economy is a HUGE factor?

If your turbo kit came with tuning, fuel management, fuel system AND exhaust? would you ditch peiced together parts for a kit where EVERY part is designed to work with one another?

rudsone
01-16-2008, 07:02 PM
hell yeah I've been looking for a turbo for my DD...but it sounds expensive...

d4integra
01-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I think cost will still be the primary factor for most people to not piece a kit together.
What would I be looking for in a turbo kit for my car?
Well, it’d have to be priced less than the current “race” kits, pricing should be like the Greddy & Apexi (Honda) kits; honestly, if I’m paying $3,000 or more for a “street” kit, it’s probably not going to happen, I’d rather buy a “race” kit for a little more or for a little less a Greddy/Apexi “street” kit.
Also, I’d obviously like something that retains A/C & P/S.
As far as performance, something that spools fast, not really interested in making 350+ whp, so a GT28R or T3 size turbo would interest me (I think that Tony the Tiger has one of the best turbo setups I’ve ever seen on a street car).
Kit should be as maintenance free as possible (if that’s possible), I want to tune it and forget about it (not entirely possible, but as much as realistically allowed).

d4integra
01-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I don’t think an all-inclusive turbo kit with a relatively high dollar price tag will do too well in the Honda market; Honda owners are for the most part “cheap”. I think a basic kit that includes all the necessities (like the Apexi D-series kit or the D-series kit from Greddy for example) would be more successful. The Honda owner drops $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 on a kit that includes the charge piping; a lower priced turbo manifold & turbocharger, a low price intercooler maybe, and all the misc. lines and bolts needed for the install. It offers them instant gratification, in the sense that they have a shiny new turbo kit in there closet, and they just have to buy injectors, fuel pump, an EMS and tuning.

The President
01-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I think cost will still be the primary factor for most people to not piece a kit together.
What would I be looking for in a turbo kit for my car?
Well, it’d have to be priced less than the current “race” kits, pricing should be like the Greddy & Apexi (Honda) kits; honestly, if I’m paying $3,000 or more for a “street” kit, it’s probably not going to happen, I’d rather buy a “race” kit for a little more or for a little less a Greddy/Apexi “street” kit.
Also, I’d obviously like something that retains A/C & P/S.
As far as performance, something that spools fast, not really interested in making 350+ whp, so a GT28R or T3 size turbo would interest me (I think that Tony the Tiger has one of the best turbo setups I’ve ever seen on a street car).
Kit should be as maintenance free as possible (if that’s possible), I want to tune it and forget about it (not entirely possible, but as much as realistically allowed).

I think you'd be fine to be able to tune it and leave it as long as the car is running low boost for the streets. I think it would be cool to be able to have multiple tunes and be able to switch back and forth between them on the fly. have a DD tune of like 5-6 lbs, have a medium performance tune (like 8-10 lbs) and then be able to have a race tune for something like (15lbs). IE (Multiple tunes stored in your EMS that can be cahnged at the touch of a button).
Couldn't you get away with having a larger turbo and maybe a slightly smaller compressor wheel so that you still have a good amount of HP on tap, without much lag? And when you are on lower amounts of boost won't the turbo reach full boost faster anyways?

ehh just ideas, probably not thought fully through though

Mr.Burner
01-18-2008, 01:11 PM
i just built a 4dr GSR, with stock block just pistons rods and a full-race stage2 turbo kit on hondata, it made 323whp on 11psi, its great for the street, a/c pwr st. is all there. very nice set up and very relieable... turbo is a gt3076R. sounds like its supercharged....

Mario Andres
01-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Im talking about a kit that came with:
- Turbo kit:
*Tial BOV
*Tial WG
*Charge piping
*Intercooler
*Downpipe
*Manifold
*Kit box (oil/ water/ vac lines, hardware, fittings, couplers, clamps, etc.)
- Exhaust system w/ or w/o cat
- Boost controller
- Vaccum manifold
- Engine bay drip pan
- Injectors
- Fuel pump
- Engine management
- Certificate for tuning in your area

Im talking about a kit where everything your received in the boxes would be everything you needed to complete the install turn-key to turn-key. If you get tired of sub 400whp power levels you could upgrade the turbo or even sell the turbo kit and still use the supplied fuel and engine management systems, exhaust system, boost controller, etc. for sub 700whp power levels. The kit would be fully customizable and could be sold partially if needed.

what if it sold for $3500.00 and shipping was included?

As far as installing and leaving alone, its just not possible with current technology. This is seen with most turbocharged OEM's having a rigorous maintenance schedule.

KingDingaLing
01-19-2008, 01:38 PM
- Turbo kit:
*Tial BOV
*Tial WG
*Charge piping
*Intercooler
*Downpipe
*Manifold
- Boost controller
- Vaccum manifold
- Engine bay drip pan
- Injectors
- Fuel pump
- Engine management

Im talking about a kit where everything your received in the boxes would be everything you needed to complete the install turn-key to turn-key. If you get tired of sub 400whp power levels you could upgrade the turbo or even sell the turbo kit and still use the supplied fuel and engine management systems, exhaust system, boost controller, etc. for sub 700whp power levels. The kit would be fully customizable and could be sold partially if needed.

As far as installing and leaving alone, its just not possible with current technology. This is seen with most turbocharged OEM's having a rigorous maintenance schedule.

that would be a badass deal. and i see alot of kits being sold if that was the price. i would be interested for the DD

boostedrex
01-19-2008, 01:53 PM
sounds very nice

xxbrowndragon
01-19-2008, 02:03 PM
- Turbo kit:
*Tial BOV
*Tial WG
*Charge piping
*Intercooler
*Downpipe
*Manifold
- Boost controller
- Vaccum manifold
- Engine bay drip pan
- Injectors
- Fuel pump
- Engine management

i would consider if all that was included, only if

Mario Andres
01-19-2008, 02:21 PM
lol i agree...IF

KingDingaLing
01-19-2008, 02:26 PM
lol i agree...IF

maybe even like include a "basemap" chip for stock motors at a certain psi. like a stock d16z6 with a 6psi basemap allready setup to whatever injectors are being included and stuff

Mario Andres
01-21-2008, 10:35 AM
What else would you like in a complete kit?

The President
01-21-2008, 10:43 AM
maybe a certificate for a free b/j at the local whore house?

it's the only other thing i can think of...

Stealthy
01-21-2008, 11:07 AM
- Turbo kit:
*Tial BOV
*Tial WG
*Charge piping
*Intercooler
*Downpipe
*Manifold
- Boost controller
- Vaccum manifold
- Engine bay drip pan
- Injectors
- Fuel pump
- Engine management

What if we are local, and pick-up? Like a Cash-n-carry price?

Also, and please don't take offense, but what about the quality? Everyone is used to bad ass quality from Full-Race, but what happens when these less expensive, DD kits are flying out the door? At this point, would we have to worry about quality being compromised, like with other companies?

I think this is a badass idea, and hope it becomes a reality. GL FR.

ALLMTR_EF8
02-15-2008, 11:30 AM
maybe a certificate for a free b/j at the local whore house?

it's the only other thing i can think of...:funnypost::funnypost::funnypost: LMAO!!!!!

18c
03-12-2008, 04:13 AM
I honestly think its a great idea because for the most part your stuck with either Building your own kit from scratch or buying a kit and having to buy everything else or having a shop help tie up the loose ends.

Off the top of my head

Map Sensor- I see omni/hondata makes a bolt on 4bar but if you use a gm then you need to either get a blockoffplate with the feed coming out or leave the stock map on and tap elsewhere for it, personally im not a big fan of leaving the stock map on just to block the port. (maybe raid the fish store and offer checkvalves instead?)

Downpipe - PITA, requires welding as most are flangless, could include up to testpipe or CAT or at the very least the option for a flange to be welded on, however i could see a problem with lengths and diameters due to different configurations

Chargepipes - fit differs by intercooler/manifold/IM, would be nice if you could offer different kits based on the exhaust manifold and head type/IM

Injectors- i guess if saturated injectors can fill all the needs then wont be a problem, with peak and holds i dont see it being a viable option to offer resistor boxes with every kit, but its possible. also clips might be necessary

Copper Spark Plugs- would need to be gapped but would be nice

neptune/hondata/etc - would be nice, but seems like too many options and steps and prices and parties to deal with to get a unified one size fits all tuning solution for a kit

MarkyMonroe
03-20-2008, 07:56 PM
so I seen some people talking about the reliability of having a boosted car on a stock block. I wanna know, what if you have a forged bottom end (forged low comp pistons and forged rods) and maybe some forged valves and all that good stuff, will the car be able to be used as a DD? And how long will the car last driving at a low boost. Maybe 5-8 psi. Cuz I've been debating whether to go boost or high comp. Sorry for posting on your thread man, I'm just hella interested.

18c
03-22-2008, 02:38 PM
On a good tune assuming its set up correctly it can last a long time. The main reason why turbo cars are seen as unreliable is because there are more parts to break and most people dont do everything the right way and tend too cut a corner or two which causes something to break which causes something else to break and then you have a broken car.

It also depends on the condition of your stock block., A built bottom end isnt the solve all problem to preventing things from breaking, a sleeved block may not crack the sleeve first time your engine detonates, or the ringlands might not break, or they may, the parts are just stronger and can take a little more abuse. If you have a b20 i personally wouldnt boost it, but others would. the weak points vs boost that i see in B series in general are the stock rod bolts, sleeves, and ringlands.

MarkyMonroe
03-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Ohhhh ok I see.