PDA

View Full Version : b20b4 turboed with stock sleeves?

92hndahatch
01-26-2008, 07:10 PM
i am starting a new build i have a b20b4 block out of a crv i have eagle h-beam rods and arias 10:1 c/r pistons jdm b16 head skunk2 cams valve springs intake manifold and throttle body i want to boost it at 10-14 pounds on stock sleeves. with no vtec.
i wanted to know what others input on this was.

cashflow
01-26-2008, 07:16 PM
i would sleeve just to be safe since b20 have really thin sleeves

92hndahatch
01-26-2008, 07:19 PM
i would sleeve just to be safe since b20 have really thin sleeves

the sleeves arent that thin everyone says they are but they arent. they are supposed to be weak though.
also i would be getting a block guard

cashflow
01-26-2008, 08:08 PM
in the long run sleeves are better than block guards.
block guards are more of a quick fix than a permanent fix, personally i wouldnt run more than 10 lbs on a stock block
since your gonna be spending all this money just go and get it sleeved by golden eagle or and other reputable dealer and call it a day plus golden eagle has a warranty

92hndahatch
01-26-2008, 08:33 PM
in the long run sleeves are better than block guards.
block guards are more of a quick fix than a permanent fix, personally i wouldnt run more than 10 lbs on a stock block
since your gonna be spending all this money just go and get it sleeved by golden eagle or and other reputable dealer and call it a day plus golden eagle has a warranty

i want to but that shit is like 900 bucks.
maybe ill save up then i can run like 20 lbs

silverteg
01-26-2008, 08:36 PM
get sleeves

cashflow
01-26-2008, 10:10 PM
if u plan on spending around 4k for the turbo setup why not spend another 900 for the sleeves that way you wont have any regrets later down the road when it shits on you

92hndahatch
01-27-2008, 02:36 AM
if u plan on spending around 4k for the turbo setup why not spend another 900 for the sleeves that way you wont have any regrets later down the road when it shits on you

4k on a turbo set up? i already have one and its a full greddy kit and i payed like 300 for it i paid 400 for the internals and 150 for the full b20 swap with a bad head gasket and 100 for arp studs

92hndahatch
01-27-2008, 02:37 AM
but yeah thanks for your input and i probably will do sleeves if i can find some money

RatedR520
01-27-2008, 06:23 AM
:idiot:GET A JOB

92hndahatch
01-27-2008, 10:40 AM
:idiot:GET A JOB

psh you get a job

I Hate Import Cars
01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
4k on a turbo set up? i already have one and its a full greddy kit and i payed like 300 for it i paid 400 for the internals and 150 for the full b20 swap with a bad head gasket and 100 for arp studs

WTF?!?! Who do YOU know? And how can I get your deals?!?! 400 for Eagle H Beams and Arias pistons? 100 for ARP head and main studs?

And why would you waste a B16 head if you're not going to use VTEC? Why not just use the B20 head?

cashflow
01-27-2008, 09:06 PM
wouldnt you have to do a b20/vtec if you use the b16 head anyways
if you stay non vtec just get a b20 long block sleeve it get the internals and turbo it
and get a good tune

honduh_head
01-28-2008, 02:12 PM
wouldnt you have to do a b20/vtec if you use the b16 head anyways
if you stay non vtec just get a b20 long block sleeve it get the internals and turbo it
and get a good tune

well you don't technically HAVE to have vtec with those heads, but then whats the point?

JDM Jon
01-28-2008, 06:53 PM
yea dont u have a b16 as it is? throw that head on the b20!
much better shit

92hndahatch
01-28-2008, 07:23 PM
because i have a built jdm b16 head and it will hold up a lot better then a stock b20 head. one of my friends is doing th same thing and his is fine and vtec is for all motor kind of the opposite of boost everyone i know who has boosted a vtec motor disconnects the vtec solinoid and it runs better vtec makes valves open more and longer when on turbo set ups it should be more but shorter duration

92hndahatch
01-28-2008, 07:27 PM
WTF?!?! Who do YOU know? And how can I get your deals?!?! 400 for Eagle H Beams and Arias pistons? 100 for ARP head and main studs?

And why would you waste a B16 head if you're not going to use VTEC? Why not just use the B20 head?

my friend sold me the eagle rods and pistons out of his old motor because he re bored it to 84.5 and he sold me them for 450.
and jfizzle on here had the arp studs up and sold me them

cashflow
01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
dont turbos respond better with vtec

92hndahatch
01-28-2008, 07:58 PM
i dont think so but thats just my experience.
even when i just turboed my b16 i couldnt even use vtec it would bog out like crazy so i pulled my solenoid wire and it pulled fine

I Hate Import Cars
01-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Ravi, jump in here. VTEC with turbo is useless?????

Agent Smith
01-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Ravi, jump in here. VTEC with turbo is useless?????

hahahaha...

With a PROPER TUNE, vtec will be far superior to nonvtec heads, if you disconnect it, lol, that's crazy & retarded. vtec allows a larger cam profile=more power. I'd bet money you were running a vafc or fmu or something retarded without a proper tune with a wideband... tuning is required for optimal performance...

redwidow
01-29-2008, 05:48 PM
:poke:yes vtec is useless...lmao.. and if so..so are brakes in rush hour traffic..dude who ever told you vtec is useless, do not listen to them any more infact erase any memories of them lol i kid... vtec has a bigger lobe on any Vtec cam which in turns opens the valves more and allows a better flow. My vtec engagment is @ 3,700 rpm, on ctr's @ 15 psi I made 480whp @ 5,500rpm. I'd suggest you keep your vtec wired and get it to a good tunner.

Tage
01-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Increased lift associated with VTEC is a good thing for both NA and boosted setups. The problem with VTEC lobes is typically there is a lot of overlap between the intake and exhaust (i.e. both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time). Overlap is good thing for NA as the rush of air going out the exhaust valves actually "pulls" fresh intake air into the combustion chamber via a vacuum type of effect. This only works under very high RPM (i.e. VTEC).

In theory, with too much overlap on a boosted setup is some of the compressed charge that should be going 100% into the combustion chamber ends up going out the exhaust valves.

In reality though with VTEC, (with a proper tune) the extra lift turns out to create more gains than the losses of the extra duration.

imm0rtal
01-29-2008, 07:25 PM
i want to but that shit is like 900 bucks.
maybe ill save up then i can run like 20 lbsDo you even listen to yourself or think about what you are writing?

I would rather spend 900 bucks now and have a motor for a lot longer than being a broke-ass now and regretting it later.

92hndahatch
01-29-2008, 07:28 PM
um okay whatever you guys say but thats not my point im not running vtec my car when i do this. my friend is putting 493 whp on his turbo ls with a stock head he put on b16 head didnt wire vtec and bored it out more and it has plenty of power and he gets his tuned and he still doesnt wire vtec. so im not asking your opinions on boosting my car with or without vtec im asking for other peoples experience with b20b bottom ends and how their sleeves hold up to boost

92hndahatch
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Do you even listen to yourself or think about what you are writing?

I would rather spend 900 bucks now and have a motor for a lot longer than being a broke-ass now and regretting it later.

why would i regret it? i would build a new motor. this is like saying oh wow im going to fully build my motor and get 500 hp and not even race it. if i choose not to and i blow my motor i wont care i will build a new one and learn from my experiences. and b20b's are supposed to be able to hold 10 lbs with all stock internals with out tune. its not like im going to boost my car at like 20 pounds i already said 10-14.

but all you people posting on this thread acting like you now what your talking about just stop im asking for people who have had exxperience and know what they are talking about.

redwidow
01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
why would i regret it? i would build a new motor. this is like saying oh wow im going to fully build my motor and get 500 hp and not even race it. if i choose not to and i blow my motor i wont care i will build a new one and learn from my experiences. and b20b's are supposed to be able to hold 10 lbs with all stock internals with out tune. its not like im going to boost my car at like 20 pounds i already said 10-14.

but all you people posting on this thread acting like you now what your talking about just stop im asking for people who have had exxperience and know what they are talking about.

I have a sleeve b18 and its bored to 84mm b20..but if you choose to be ingnorant why are you asking AZHT for opinions? Are you serious when you say "and b20b's are supposed to be able to hold 10 lbs with all stock internals with out tune." If so let us all know how far you get on a pull?

EGHatchSC
01-29-2008, 11:44 PM
I built b20vtec turbo, pistons, rods, gsr head. It pulls awesome with no vtec but once vtec is in it will go NUTS! sleeved would be awesome our b20 build is not sleeved so we are keeping it at 7PSI right now to keep it safe! we hit 25 lbs when the boost controller was out of wack, just once it was so tight but gotta keep it safe!

92hndahatch
01-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I have a sleeve b18 and its bored to 84mm b20..but if you choose to be ingnorant why are you asking AZHT for opinions? Are you serious when you say "and b20b's are supposed to be able to hold 10 lbs with all stock internals with out tune." If so let us all know how far you get on a pull?

i definitely will

92hndahatch
01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I built b20vtec turbo, pistons, rods, gsr head. It pulls awesome with no vtec but once vtec is in it will go NUTS! sleeved would be awesome our b20 build is not sleeved so we are keeping it at 7PSI right now to keep it safe! we hit 25 lbs when the boost controller was out of wack, just once it was so tight but gotta keep it safe!

tight sounds nice.
im surprised it didnt blow when you spiked 25 pounds lol that would suck.
yeah i have a profect b im hooking up for daily im going to run like 5 and then 10 if im racing so we'll see how it goes i started putting it together

BDD
02-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Ive had a few different turbo setups and vtec is a great thing with boost. It make's boost come in earlier and harder. using a vtec head and cams not engaging vtec would just make you loose power potential. If anything sell the head buy a ls head and have it port' n polished for the price you sold that b16 head and get some decient cams.

92hndahatch
02-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Ive had a few different turbo setups and vtec is a great thing with boost. It make's boost come in earlier and harder. using a vtec head and cams not engaging vtec would just make you loose power potential. If anything sell the head buy a ls head and have it port' n polished for the price you sold that b16 head and get some decient cams.

i have an ls head

Fresh_manny21
02-17-2008, 09:12 AM
:lame:

ALLMTR_EF8
02-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow I feel a bashing coming on.

onefst91hatch
03-04-2008, 02:37 PM
using a vtec head and not using VTEC is the shit!!!!!

when you have Toda VTEC killer cams!! lol

18c
03-28-2008, 06:13 AM
vtech cam profile might have too much duration for boost and let it some boost "spill" out before the valves fully close. but im not expert, u should call 1320 and ask.

VTECH!
http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/VTech_Dect_6_phone.jpg

Also stock cams dont have that much duration.......................................... .....................................
and besides the fact that a stock b16 head flows better than a stock b20 head..................................

If your building a drag car then the benefits of vtec arent there granted your running large cams anyway, however your talking about a stock head and cams.... the whole point of disconnecting vtec would be that your going to run really large cams without the need of a milder profile which just disonnecting the solnoid isnt going to do.........

Vtec gives you the advantages of a larger cam profile which you are missing out on.

92hndahatch
03-28-2008, 06:30 AM
VTECH!
http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/VTech_Dect_6_phone.jpg

Also stock cams dont have that much duration.......................................... .....................................
and besides the fact that a stock b16 head flows better than a stock b20 head..................................

If your building a drag car then the benefits of vtec arent there granted your running large cams anyway, however your talking about a stock head and cams.... the whole point of disconnecting vtec would be that your going to run really large cams without the need of a milder profile which just disonnecting the solnoid isnt going to do.........

Vtec gives you the advantages of a larger cam profile which you are missing out on.

i have skunk2 pro series cams stage 1