PDA

View Full Version : Is My Sub Gone??

jdmeman
03-02-2008, 07:20 PM
i dno if this technically qualifies as a "tech question" but oh well.......so i bought a Alpine Type X sub and enclosure on ebay......connected it and shit pounds!!! and i just decided to take the sub out the box....to my surprise only ONE voice coil was hooked up!!!! so i rewired my set up...i have a 2 channel infinity amp...so now my set up is one channel to one voice coil.....but now it still hits hard...but some times it kinda like buzzes!!!!! and somtimes it sounds kinda weak......is my sub done???

rudsone
03-02-2008, 07:29 PM
get a capacitor yo.

jdmeman
03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
get a capacitor yo.

yeah im thinking bout getting one......did i mess up my sub using it with only one voice coil tho?

Stock?
03-11-2008, 09:54 PM
you can use it with 1 voice coil, although it is not ideal
what brand/model of amp do you have?

kalin
08-18-2009, 09:45 PM
no my friend ,the ideal is if your amp is a 2 ch. you can do it at mono , one (+) from one ch. and the (-) from the 2nd ch. now on your sub you have 2 coils , we need to know the homs on your coils, you can have 2 or 4 homs on each coil , eather way to be safe on your amp doit these way make a jump from the firs coil the (+) and from the second the (-) then your going to have one (+) and (-) left we call that series . en those you have left goes to your amp at mono .

Pendulum
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Ok, whatever ^^^ said, makes NO fucking sense. Punctuation, sir. I think he was recommending you bridge your amp.

Anyway, what amp do you have?

Oh, pro-tip: Capacitors are pretty much worthless. Look at it this way... a cap is similar to a battery (it takes an electrical charge, and stores energy). Caps need juice to work. Why would you ADD something that needs power to a circuit that's already underpowered?

Fix your wiring, don't add a cap.

Adding a cap is like zip-tieing your bumper on, or trying to put a bandaid on a 4 inch gash in your face.

One of the main reason DVC (dual voice coil) subs were made is to give you flexibility on wiring. So yes, you can run 1 VC without harming the woofer.

fRoSt
08-22-2009, 02:54 AM
Ok, whatever ^^^ said, makes NO fucking sense. Punctuation, sir. I think he was recommending you bridge your amp.

Anyway, what amp do you have?

Oh, pro-tip: Capacitors are pretty much worthless. Look at it this way... a cap is similar to a battery (it takes an electrical charge, and stores energy). Caps need juice to work. Why would you ADD something that needs power to a circuit that's already underpowered?

Fix your wiring, don't add a cap.

Adding a cap is like zip-tieing your bumper on, or trying to put a bandaid on a 4 inch gash in your face.

One of the main reason DVC (dual voice coil) subs were made is to give you flexibility on wiring. So yes, you can run 1 VC without harming the woofer.

ur right on some part but a cap is needed for high powered system... they have farad on the cap so u can buy em to how much power ur amp is so it can save ur battery power instead of draining it on the first couple thud of good music... and i can guarantee( watever on how this is spelled) that my system is 2000 watt without the cap... the battery wont last as long unless u are willing to buy another car battery to power ur system which i find is a waste wen u can use a cap made for ur kind of power that u need...

just my 2 cents

Pendulum
08-23-2009, 12:23 PM
You sir, are wrong.

Sorry.

Fix your wiring. End of story.

A cap os only useful when smoothing power. That's what they're designed for. If you're system is underpowered, fix your wiring. Then add a Hi Po Alt. Then batteries.

If you put a cap on a system before doing any of this, you're doin' it wrong.

I have much more knowledge than MOST car audio installers, and 99% of people who haven't installed as a career don't count as installers.
Yes, there's plenty of people with more knowledge than me. I recognize this and won't argue with them. But anyone advocating caps as a way to fix your system doesn't know what they're doing.