PDA

View Full Version : Coil over sleeves or Full body coilovers? Help please

Acurazor
03-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Ok well Im not really a suspension guru, always been a little more into under the hood. Anyway question is, I'm debating whether to get Skunk2 coilover sleeves of the full body coilover(skunk2 also). This car is just my dd, occasional spirited driving. I don't know if I should spend the 700 on the full coil if I'm not gonna need it. Will my OEM shocks be ok with sleeves? I plan on lowering 1.5-2.0 inches. Just for the sole purpose of looks. My car might see the drag strip occasionally also just to see how the engine mods are improving. Oh and the car is a 05 DC5-S if that makes a difference. Thanx alot guys.

*inFamous*
03-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I LOVE full coilovers man... They just have a better overall ride quality. Typically speaking, the cost of a GOOD shock like a Koni Yellow + the cost of a decent sleeve over like S2 or GC will cost about the same as a basic Full coilover like the S2 or Omni.

my 2c

Tage
03-11-2008, 02:11 PM
To ensure decent ride quality and an actual improvement in handling, a full coilover is not necessary, BUT good shocks are. However, as Ravi points out, it's usually cheaper to go with an inexpensive full coiloveror (i.e. Omni, KSport, etc.) vs doing good shocks and sleeve style coilovers.

FYI - I don't consider Tokico or AGX "good" shocks. Koni yellow at a minimum.

rudsone
03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Tage would be you explain that a little more on depth...

Thank you.

*inFamous*
03-11-2008, 02:22 PM
To ensure decent ride quality and an actual improvement in handling, a full coilover is not necessary, BUT good shocks are. However, as Ravi points out, it's usually cheaper to go with an inexpensive full coiloveror (i.e. Omni, KSport, etc.) vs doing good shocks and sleeve style coilovers.

FYI - I don't consider Tokico or AGX "good" shocks. Koni yellow at a minimum.

Exactly... the cost of a set of Koni's + a quality sleeveover ends up being around the same cost as a decent full coilover

Acurazor
03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
hmmmmm guess I'll go with the pro-s coilover.

Agent Smith
03-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Is this for the rsx where talking about or just in general?

honestly the rsx biggest problem is the damn mcpherson struts...

Acurazor
03-11-2008, 05:32 PM
It's for my DC5 yes. I'm getting suspension soon and was curiuos. Why is the mcpherson such a problem?

Rufus
03-11-2008, 05:41 PM
If it's anything like the EM2 it was wheelhop like a mofo

Acurazor
03-11-2008, 05:58 PM
LOL yeah, mcpherson struts induce more wheel hop? Hitting 2nd gear is rediculous and 3rd just a little. I've heard energy suspension inserts help alot.

JC<3Ek
03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
i got the skunk2 coilover sleeve right now and i didnt get it install to my ride yet so yea...hopefully soon..but it look kinda addicted..

Agent Smith
03-11-2008, 09:06 PM
It's for my DC5 yes. I'm getting suspension soon and was curiuos. Why is the mcpherson such a problem?
The general design is disappointing, honda basically cheaped out on the DC5 chassis in my opinion, it's a great stiff chassis (heck it'll even 3 wheel around a corner on STOCK suspension), but it doesn't rotate properly around turns, it understeers like a mofo when pushed to the max & basically the only way to get it to rotate is a little left foot brake tap mid turn or trail braking into the turn (neither of which are the easiest things to do) & even then it can be a pain. If you look into why many "honda" race teams kept the old integra chassis as long as they did or even switched to to the tsx chassis is because of the full adjustability. If you read up on honda-tech there are all sorts of old discussions of this & why it's good (because it's cheap as hell to produce/engineer) & bad...
Most write up's I've seen basically run extreme camber in the front, none in the back, and have huge spring rates all around to get the car to rotate like it should.
If it's anything like the EM2 it was wheelhop like a mofo
Yes, that is another cursed problem of the design as well, but solid motor mounts, or motor mount inserts can help that a decent bit.

Rufus
03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
So does the Ingalls "stiffy"

Agent Smith
03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
So does the Ingalls "stiffy"
ingalls tq damner didn't do shit on the rsx in my experience...
I have one for sale though if anyone wants it. lol.

DC4teg
03-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Full coilovers like Ksports will are they stiff? I got a friend that sometimes rides in my car. Dudes like 6'6 340 pounds and i have stock ride height drops really low but it doesnt rub and there is no problem except for space inside the car.

IF i drop it will my car drop lower when he gets in the car? OR will it retain the same height?

Agent Smith
03-12-2008, 01:38 PM
with a 340lb friend your car will always ride a little lower than without...

Rufus
03-12-2008, 02:00 PM
ingalls tq damner didn't do shit on the rsx in my experience...
I have one for sale though if anyone wants it. lol.

I have a Stage 4 Comp Clutch and 8.5lb flywheel in mine and I noticed the shudder reduced with the mount.