PDA

View Full Version : can u run s/c on a stock ecu???

fRoSt
04-06-2008, 01:47 AM
can u chip a stock gsr ecu to be capable to run on any kind of boost lower than 8psi??? (stock GSR motor)

taggart_lumpy
04-06-2008, 02:57 AM
yes i can... dunno about you though

The President
04-06-2008, 03:56 AM
depends on a few things. if you are OBD2 (96 and up) then you'll have to get a conversion harness and an OBD1 P28 or P72 and and then you can have it tuned. You can GET AWAY with running the FMU that comes with the supercharger kit. High pressure fuel pump and 450 injectors are always a good idea. The FMU is NOT ideal but if you don't have the $$ to get tuned right away (and not use the FMU) then you can get by.

locash
04-06-2008, 10:20 AM
You are nuts if you just take someone's guesswork boost map and run it on your car. I tune cars all the time, and I'm sure I have more experience tuning Honda's than anyone on this site, and I won't even guess at a boost map.

Honestly, you're better off with a 12:1 FMU and retarding your timing a few degrees, if you aren't going to get it tuned..

jake2001z001
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
You can run a basemap just to get the car to a tuning shop but dont get on it.

Rufus
04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
You are nuts if you just take someone's guesswork boost map and run it on your car. I tune cars all the time, and I'm sure I have more experience tuning Honda's than anyone on this site, and I won't even guess at a boost map.

Honestly, you're better off with a 12:1 FMU and retarding your timing a few degrees, if you aren't going to get it tuned..

Who is this guy?

*inFamous*
04-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Who is this guy?

we call him papi on the streets.

fRoSt
04-07-2008, 11:11 PM
lol... man i should go to one of u guy's meet to meet more ppls that knows alot about cars and motor... but thanx for helpin though u guys... if i have time and some money to get my car runnin on s/c i'll contact u joe from locash...

taggart_lumpy
04-08-2008, 12:49 AM
good choice

Mr.Burner
04-09-2008, 05:48 PM

ya who's this dude? comin on here thinkin he's king honda shit kong! :smile:

ownercarry
04-12-2008, 11:10 PM
jesus (same it like a mexican so no disrespect),
here's the college facts deal.
an fmu is bullshit. all it does is sense boost and stop the return fuel line. this drastically increases fuel pressure on the in or injector side. cool because if we can't change how long the injectors will open, then for a give opening, greater pressure will get you more fuel squirted. under boost, this is just what you need. BUT, stock pumps have bypasses built-in. what that is, is, basically safety. if the pump sees too much pressure (which a 12:1 fmu will easily deliver) then it will bypass the fuel right back to the tank! that means really inconsistent results at your injectors. hondas don't usually do this until about 100 psi which is nearly 3x stock pressure. the good news is, it does work, but only until abou there. but temperature affects things in a huge way.

a jackson kit really sux because it makes mostly heat, not boost. starting at 145 degrees of intake air temperature or IAT, a stock tune will pull 3 degrees of timing. at 180, it is pulling 6 degrees. on a b20 vtec, which because of the large b20 pulley, will do about 9 psi on a jackson kit, IATs will hit almost 200 degrees at the end of a run. um, that's fucking hot. to counter act this, jackson has a thingie that attaches to the IAT to fool it.

a stock ecu will be in warm up until 177 degrees coolant temp (which, uh, matches a stock thermostat). it can add as much as 10% fuel from 140 to 170 degrees coolant temp. what the jackson thingie does is send a constant signal (when it senses boost) of 100 degrees coolant temp to the ecu. this adds a GOOD amount of fuel to the ecu. combine this with an fmu and only 6-7 psi, and you can make a jackson kit live for a little bit.

but, since this charger boost so quick, tip-in, az summers and a lot more, kill the engines pretty quick.

chipped ecus make it worse. most aren't set for boost and when they are, it's for turbo boost which can come much later. how do you account for boost that is instant? you need to add a lot of fuel and cut timing. jackson recently added they timing control box which is really a split second box with a PoS program in it.

holy shit, is the is SAT? i've written an essay! i guess i could have said that for $195 you can get an s100 from hondata and then had it properly tuned with the right sized injectors (not an fmu) and can beat the shit out of it for as long as you can afford to put 91 octane in it.

does that help?

fRoSt
04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
WOW!!! i'm actually learning... lmao... thanx man...