PDA

View Full Version : what internals for budget type-r w/turbo

Rare 87
05-02-2008, 10:43 PM
I am building a poor man's type r motor and am putting it in an 87 crx si. What suggestions for the internals (block and head) if i was putting a t3 t4 turbo in it as well ?any comments helps

*inFamous*
05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
budget and turbo rarely cross paths my friend.

Rare 87
05-02-2008, 11:38 PM
budget and turbo rarely cross paths my friend.

Are you saying its a bad thing ?

*inFamous*
05-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Are you saying its a bad thing ?

IM saying if you want to turbo, take your time, spend the dough where it needs to be spent, get good quality parts... especially here in AZ. Low grade turbo kits here tend to not survive to long with the heat.

my2kgsr
05-03-2008, 07:26 AM
budget-used parts... on a budget with a type r? sell the type r and get a gsr or something so you have money to build, or just buy my sleeved/built gsr haha

project'87CRX
05-03-2008, 07:31 AM
I am building a budget type r motor and am putting it in an 87 crx si. What suggestions for the internals (block and head) if i was putting a t3 t4 turbo in it as well ?any comments helps

I think what RARE 87 ment was hes buildin a TURBO'd "poor mans type R" He's already got a good start - B18c block, B16a head, Type R IM, XS turbo mani, T3/T4 turbo, FMIC, WG, BOV, piping, blah blah blah......... hes wantin to know what comp ratio to go with, pistons & rods, cams, valves, springs, retainers, that kinda shit. And what shop to trust to put it together and not end up gettin FUCT!! :thumbup: Theres really nothing BUDGET on this build!!!

my2kgsr
05-03-2008, 09:17 AM
I think what RARE 87 ment was hes buildin a TURBO'd "poor mans type R" He's already got a good start - B18c block, B16a head, Type R IM, XS turbo mani, T3/T4 turbo, FMIC, WG, BOV, piping, blah blah blah......... hes wantin to know what comp ratio to go with, pistons & rods, cams, valves, springs, retainers, that kinda shit. And what shop to trust to put it together and not end up gettin FUCT!! :thumbup: Theres really nothing BUDGET on this build!!!

ahhh tri-tech does great assembly.. id contact them

trujdm
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
CP 9.0:1 pistons and rings on Eagle H-Beam rods. Notch the block, throw some ACL or Honda bearings on there and boost away.

I Hate Import Cars
05-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Well if that's the case, then it would be helpful for him to tell us that. Is this known fact, as in you're a friend of his or something? Or are you just guessing?

Either way, Ravi is right. There's 2 options; A) cheep, or B) right. That's about all there is to it.

As for who to build it, I'm of the opinion that if you want something done right, do it yourself, but that's just me.

For internals, it's really up to you. I know a lot of people talk crap on Eagle rods, but I have used them in 5 motors now (not just Hondas) and never had a problem with them. Same with ACL bearings. The one thing to remember is that (I don't remember the exact number) but something like 75%+ of rod failures are a result of rod bolts breaking. Eagle uses the ARP 2000 series rod bolts and they are tried and proven parts. Be smart and put a good set of studs in the motor (heads and mains). ARP and Golden Eagle both make great stuff there. And as for pistons, again, it's up to you. Ask 30 people and they'll tell you 30 different suggestions. Personally I use JE Pistons in all my motors and have never had a problem. The only time I had any issues was the 1 time I didn't use their rings, I used Total Seals. But when I rebuilt that motor the bore diameter was still good so I put the rings in it that JE recommended for those pistons, and guess what? No more problems! My suggestion for choosing pistons would be to go with a forged piston for sure, figure out exactly what compression ratio you want in the motor, and then do the math on the motor and figure out what piston dome volume and compression height you need to get that ratio. After that all you have to do is look for a quality piston manufacturer that offers a piston for your motor that meets your specs/needs.

Full-Race Henry
05-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Notch the block

Just out of curiosity, why would the block need to be notched?

Either way, Ravi is right. There's 2 options; A) cheep, or B) right. That's about all there is to it.

Another question, What is option B? What is the "RIGHT" way?

I am building a poor man's type r motor and am putting it in an 87 crx si. What suggestions for the internals (block and head) if i was putting a t3 t4 turbo in it as well ?any comments helps

How much power do you wanna make and how much do you have to spend?

ALLMTR_EF8
05-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Manley valvetrain, and Manley Rods(F-R turbo tuff) and some Endyn's 10:1 is what im doing on my build!! Hopefully the block holds!!!

onefst91hatch
05-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, why would the block need to be notched?

i was wondering the same thing

I Hate Import Cars
05-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Another question, What is option B? What is the "RIGHT" way?

I'm not saying there is any 1 "right" way to do it, nor am I saying that I know all there is to know. The point I was making there is that if you want to build a good, strong, reliable motor, you should be choosing your parts by their effectiveness, not by their price tag. When I build a motor, I decide what my goals are, and then figure out what parts are available to me that will enable me to meet that goal. FROM THERE I will start looking at price tags, and will generally go with the cheapest parts available WITHIN the options I've narrowed it down to.

For instance, if I'm trying to build a 200hp n/a B series, I have a lot of options available for, say, connecting rods for instance. Just off the top of my head, I can think of 4 or 5 different options I'd have. I could use Eagle forged steel rods, Manley forged steel rods, OEM rods, Eagle titanium rods, Carillo forged steel rods, and a whole array of others. I'd list them out, make sure they'll all meet my needs, from the "best" all the way down to the "worst" if you will, then choose the least expensive ones. Because if I can get a set of rods for $300 that will do just as well for me as a $1000+ set will, why spend all the extra money?

On the other side, I could decide how much I was willing to spend on rods, find all the rods that are in that price range, then choose from there. However, if none of the rods in my "price range" are going to be adequate, now I'm stuck choosing from a group of parts that aren't going to do what I need them to do. And why? So I could save a little bit of money? It's almost a gaurantee that the money I save on the rods will be far less than the money I'll spend doing it all over again when the motor comes apart.

So, ya, cost matters, but not nearly as much as effectiveness does. So I guess I should have made option A "cheapest possible", instead of just "cheap". Also, I probably should have spelled "cheap" right in the first post... I hate myself...

Rare 87
05-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes i am willing to spend some money on this i always want to do it right the first time. I have a B18c block, an Sir B16 head , Type-r intake man(should i use). and a T3-T4 turbo w/ everything.
I would like to make a reasonable amount of power but not a to crazy 4 to 5 hundred. I have $2000 bucks put aside so that should be a good start. all thoughts appreciated.

Agent Smith
05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
do you already have $$ set aside for tuning (not included in that $2000)?

I do my plans similar to Kyle, I make my goals (hp or tq) & then I make a budget of how much money I'm willing to spend & I choose parts that suit my needs from there. depending on how much boost/power you want to run, also consider sleeving the block...

Full-Race Henry
05-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Yes i am willing to spend some money on this i always want to do it right the first time. I have a B18c block, an Sir B16 head , Type-r intake man(should i use). and a T3-T4 turbo w/ everything.
I would like to make a reasonable amount of power but not a to crazy 4 to 5 hundred. I have $2000 bucks put aside so that should be a good start. all thoughts appreciated.

What are the specs of the turbo and how much power do you wanna make?

Rare 87
05-10-2008, 01:08 AM
I have $$ to do it right!! I dont expect it to run tomarrow but i am not an expert on how to make a lot of power with quality parts. I dont know exact specks on the turbo but i will find it out ASAP. I would like to b in the 10's. Whats that depending on traction high 400s to 500 +? I also like to rock my shit on the street so i would like to drive it a lot. I thought around 10 lbs of boost would be plenty. Im up to $3000 + but want it all done at once. Where is the best to go to have the work done? And if i was to purchase parts through someone would i catch a break i need lots to complete build.

Full-Race Henry
05-10-2008, 02:56 AM
With my experience, 10 psi on a t3t4 wont get you in the 10s and wont yield you 400whp. I am not sure how much your car weights, however, my car weights about 2400lbs, made approx 800whp on 35psi with a 72mm T4 turbo and is a low 10 sec car.

I would suggest a different turbo and a bigger budget. The internals alone will be approx $2000, sleeves approx $1000, and that doesnt include bearings, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, etc etc. Machine work is another few hundred and so is assembly. Then comes drivetrain, axles are about a grand, a good lsd is another grand, good syncros are a few hundred and a good clutch is another grand. then comes suspension, a good suspension setup is about a grand, camber kits are a few hundred, a good set of wheels and tires vary.

If i was in your position, i would boost what you already have and build a block on the side.

However if you are willing to up your budget, pm me and i can hook you up with some prices. But for a t3t4 turbo, stock internals will work fine as long as your tuner knows what he is doing and you should make approx 350-450 at about 14psi but that varies with the parts that you use, ie intake manifold, exhaust manifold, piping, ic, etc.

hope this helps

kjhilsinger
05-14-2008, 08:16 AM
In my experience, a 10 second car is not very streetable. Good luck building a 10second daily driver honda. Full-race said he was making 800whp to run low 10s. LOL at driving an 800hp civic on the street.

explode13
05-14-2008, 08:33 AM
well i know for a fact sleeves are cheaper than a grand .u dont need a 1000 dollar clutch drivetrain those requires money . shit i got a sleeved b20 for 400 and a crank for 350 looking for rods and pistons and i got a fully built bottom end. so i say you can do it ,it will take time but u can

Full-Race Henry
05-14-2008, 10:21 AM
well i know for a fact sleeves are cheaper than a grand .u dont need a 1000 dollar clutch drivetrain those requires money . shit i got a sleeved b20 for 400 and a crank for 350 looking for rods and pistons and i got a fully built bottom end. so i say you can do it ,it will take time but u can

From the last time that i checked, Getting a motor sleeved ranges from 700-1200. So yes you can get a motor sleeved for less than a grand, that is why i said it was approx.

Of course you dont NEED a $1000 clutch, but if you are making the power/torque and putting it down, it will hold up a hell of a lot better than the $350 clutch.

Did you buy the B20 from someone that already had it sleeved or did you send it out to get it sleeved? I can understand if you bought it at that price second hand, but if you got it sleeved for $400, thats a damn good deal.

explode13
05-14-2008, 10:26 AM
yes i did buy it from some one . but they never used it . and u can pay 500 for a race clutch ,you dont have to buy the overpriced one at 1000 . stop being a weenie and give the guy some hope

ALLMTR_EF8
05-14-2008, 11:07 AM
yes i did buy it from some one . but they never used it . and u can pay 500 for a race clutch ,you dont have to buy the overpriced one at 1000 . stop being a weenie and give the guy some hopeUh 1000 for a clutch that will handle anything is not overpriced, why would you buy a 500 clutch and then have it slip and not handle the power and still have to buy the 1k clutch? So it took 1500 dollar to know that you ACT could not handle the torque:d3: CluchMasters Twin Disk FTMFW!!!!!

redwidow
05-14-2008, 11:10 AM
^^^ditto

explode13
05-14-2008, 11:16 AM
wait ,wait . u guys pay that much , damm i pay 500 plus some taxes aint going to lie. and its custom built by f&s .dude i met the people at clutch masters , there little dicks ,sorry guys its the truth. any clutch company can build you the same clutch for u ,but they wont charge the price hike like the other guys.

sorry for got to add and i got a discount so its like 660s and some change

redwidow
05-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Any clutch company can build you a twin disc clutch for $500? lol do elaborate on this topic and save us all money and have the Exedy twin and CC twin drop in price to compete. I'm all ears...no seriously:thumbsup:

explode13
05-14-2008, 11:28 AM
dont be a dick , youre paying for a name not the clutch . Little companys can build you the same clutch , and save u some money . dont be an ass about it couse u paid more , remember its all about how much you can save with out blowing youre budget

ALLMTR_EF8
05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
dont be a dick , youre paying for a name not the clutch . Little companys can build you the same clutch , and save u some money . dont be an ass about it couse u paid more , remember its all about how much you can save with out blowing youre budgetSpec clutch is one of the cheapest twindisc clutches and they are still over 1K, and I would not trust any clutch company that has no reputation on reliability:-p:-p:-p Go with a cheap product and in the end you will end up paying more than just buying a quality product in the first place!!!!!!

explode13
05-14-2008, 11:49 AM
damm it evrybody is a kritic clutch masters was a little company too , then people started putting more stickers on their cars and it blew up . shit they use to go to shows in their van , look at them now. whats this thread about saving money on a build , give the guy some hope . shit i tried but i get negative feed back on trying to save money . assholes lol

ALLMTR_EF8
05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
damm it evrybody is a kritic clutch masters was a little company too , then people started putting more stickers on their cars and it blew up . shit they use to go to shows in their van , look at them now. whats this thread about saving money on a build , give the guy some hope . shit i tried but i get negative feed back on trying to save money . assholes lolIts not that we are trying to make this guy broke, its just when you take the cheap way out it seems that all the labor time goes to waste because the cheap part you bought did not take the abuse. Turbocharging a Honda and Cheap Parts= Tragedy!!!!!!!:hithead::hithead:

redwidow
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
dont be a dick , youre paying for a name not the clutch . Little companys can build you the same clutch , and save u some money . dont be an ass about it couse u paid more , remember its all about how much you can save with out blowing youre budget

who's being a dick and an Ass..lol your dumb who's knocking anyone..? got a mouth on you don't you...Balling on a budget is a no no...Full-Race Henry already laid it out...

and ALLMTR_EF8 is correct

your going to blow up any other non twin disc set up with 400-500 in time, so stop giving this guy false hope, maybe give him alternatives of lower power goals and be with in his hard to par with budget.

explode13
05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
lol ok , but turbocharging is too much money ,shit i see friends re tuning all the time ,my all motor only needed tunning when i wanted to spray .

look ass face i said a total of 660s and some change . folow the thread i corected my self and put the info in. stop being an ass muncher . ok then guys fk sea buiscuits

explode13
05-14-2008, 12:09 PM
ok no more fighting i say you suck red widow, so ok then who ever started the thread you suck lol j/k

redwidow
05-14-2008, 12:12 PM
i suck because your wrong;)

ALLMTR_EF8
05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Just get a Motec system exaust and run 10's YO:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

explode13
05-14-2008, 12:45 PM
lol did u get that from fat and the slowest , and im not wrong thats what i bought mine for .and theres a fast and the furious 4 coming out , more gay laws after that movie comes out

ALLMTR_EF8
05-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah bodykits are being made as we speak, so as soon as the movie is released you will be seing a whole new breed of RICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

explode13
05-14-2008, 12:57 PM
lol dude stop cant stop laughing

ALLMTR_EF8
05-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Toretto says "Buy a twin disc and overnight it from japan":thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: