PDA

View Full Version : Boost questions

MarkyMonroe
06-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Ok so I've decided to not go High Compression and go straight up BOOST. I have a b18c gsr. I've heard a lot of people say that you can run 12psi on stock internals safely with a good tune. I don't wanna do that. I want to get a forged bottom end to be SAFE. I decided to go with JE forged pistons and Eagle rods. One of my questions is, what compression pistons should I get? I heard 8.1 is the best for boost. Does this sound good? Also, I hear a lot of people saying you NEED a really good tune after you boost so, how much does it cost for a GOOD tune at lets say, Locash? I have heard a lot of good comments about their tuning. This car is going to be my DD and I don't want to go higher than 14 psi. I'm thinking 8-12 psi. Oh ya, and if I get a turbo kit from lets say, greddy or turbonetics, would I need to get like a hondata or something of that sort? Lemme know guys I'm really interested.

TTM_SALES
06-07-2008, 07:47 PM
You can go as high as 9:1 or so on the compression, it will be OK. As for a tune, I believe an initial tune for turbo cars (with the neptune software) is $650. If you do this, you will not need Hondata.

MarkyMonroe
06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Is neptune one of the best programs to use? Cuz I want everything done right. I want this car to run at its full potential.
:d

Mr.Burner
06-07-2008, 08:58 PM
if i were you, i wouldnt get JE's cause the aluminum they use is a soft fast expanding mix....so ive heard. bottom line they expand and retract to much causing piston to wall clearance problems..

get a nice set of CP, Endyn, or Mahle pistons..
As for compression. if its going to be your daily and on low boost, 15psi +-5 then get a 10:1:0 flat top...
Why? less lag and better driveabillity. I have run 20psi on 10:1 and its fine.

As for tuning. yes Neptune will work. Hondata S300, 100x better imo. other people know hondata unlike Neptune where only one person in town knows it. (joe locash) I would also have him tune it.

my .02cents

Mr.Burner
06-07-2008, 09:10 PM
if i were you, i wouldnt get JE's cause the aluminum they use is a soft fast expanding mix....so ive heard. bottom line they expand and retract to much causing piston to wall clearance problems..

As for compression. if its going to be your daily and on low boost, 15psi +-5 then get a 10:1:0 flat top...

As for tuning. yes Neptune will work. Hondata S300, 100x better imo. other people know hondata unlike Neptune where only one person in town knows it. (joe locash) I would also have him tune it.

my .02cents

MarkyMonroe
06-07-2008, 09:31 PM

my .02cents

Good info good info. Isn't 10:1 compression too high? Damn I've heard nothing but positive stuff about JE pistons. That's the first time I've heard a negative thing about them. How are CP's I've seen those on a lot of N/A cars. Oh and I know the 10:1 made your car run good but could it make it last? Cuz I don't want my car to last like 20k miles. I want this shit to last foreverrrr. Well of course if I always keep up good maintanance and take care of the engine really well.

Mr.Burner
06-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Good info good info. Isn't 10:1 compression too high? Damn I've heard nothing but positive stuff about JE pistons. That's the first time I've heard a negative thing about them. How are CP's I've seen those on a lot of N/A cars. Oh and I know the 10:1 made your car run good but could it make it last? Cuz I don't want my car to last like 20k miles. I want this shit to last foreverrrr. Well of course if I always keep up good maintanance and take care of the engine really well.

if you want it to last forever, dont turbo it. Your bound to have something happen....

as for the 10:1. never had a problem with it...i had a stock sleeved LS that lasted for aslong as i can remember, sold it and asfar as i know, it still runs. tunning is key to making a motor last, and maintance.

CP pistons are great to use. all the "big boys" use them in there race cars... they have alot of r&d behind there product. pricey but worth the money.

10:1 pump gas, 17-20 psi yield you about 400+whp on a 35R you'll be happy and so will the motor :thumbsup:

MarkyMonroe
06-07-2008, 10:22 PM
if you want it to last forever, dont turbo it. Your bound to have something happen....

as for the 10:1. never had a problem with it...i had a stock sleeved LS that lasted for aslong as i can remember, sold it and asfar as i know, it still runs. tunning is key to making a motor last, and maintance.

CP pistons are great to use. all the "big boys" use them in there race cars... they have alot of r&d behind there product. pricey but worth the money.

10:1 pump gas, 17-20 psi yield you about 400+whp on a 35R you'll be happy and so will the motor :thumbsup:

:]

seth00008
06-07-2008, 11:38 PM
foe the neptune program thats best for this motor the Neptune RTP Board & VTEC ECU for 600 or is a different one better

Mr.Burner
06-07-2008, 11:54 PM
S300 nuf said.

FranktheTank
06-08-2008, 05:36 PM
S300 nuf said.

Hondata s300 all the way.

MarkyMonroe
06-08-2008, 05:41 PM
EVERYONE says to go with s300. So I'm gonna go with s300 :)

xactdyno
06-08-2008, 09:46 PM
burner is thinking of arias pistons, and they aren't soft, they're of a different aluminum alloy that has a higher expansion rate than what the rest of the industry uses. so if you don't leave the proper piston-to-wall clearance (usually double what every good engine builder knows works) then you stand a good chance of wearing out your rings very quickly or worse case, seizing the pistons in the bore.

you are fine with any other pistons you or the others have mentioned. mahles are usually the least expensive as a complete kit (rings included) which is odd because they're an excellent choice. mahle makes nearly half the F1 pistons used by all the teams, 911 pistons, corvette pistons, srt4 pistons...you get the idea. excellent company.

as for tuning, s300 is excellent setup, can't go wrong. but if you don't need to get into the tune yourself or really need boost by gear (who doesn't?), then you can save quite a bit with s100 (195 vs. 595). that $400 difference is the cost of a turbo tune ;-)

MarkyMonroe
06-09-2008, 01:05 AM
burner is thinking of arias pistons, and they aren't soft, they're of a different aluminum alloy that has a higher expansion rate than what the rest of the industry uses. so if you don't leave the proper piston-to-wall clearance (usually double what every good engine builder knows works) then you stand a good chance of wearing out your rings very quickly or worse case, seizing the pistons in the bore.

you are fine with any other pistons you or the others have mentioned. mahles are usually the least expensive as a complete kit (rings included) which is odd because they're an excellent choice. mahle makes nearly half the F1 pistons used by all the teams, 911 pistons, corvette pistons, srt4 pistons...you get the idea. excellent company.

as for tuning, s300 is excellent setup, can't go wrong. but if you don't need to get into the tune yourself or really need boost by gear (who doesn't?), then you can save quite a bit with s100 (195 vs. 595). that $400 difference is the cost of a turbo tune ;-)

Aww man I really appreciate the input. Doesn't the s300 have some type of boost control which makes it better for turbocharged platforms? If I get the greddy kit, for example, does the ECU it comes with, act as a piggy back on top of the s100-300 or neptune?

xactdyno
06-09-2008, 08:29 AM
greddy comes with emanage, which is junk compared to hondata. emanage is a piggyback. if you insist on greddy, get a tuner kit or something w/o the emanage and see if you can save the bucks.

s300 comes with excellent boost control. you can not only adjust it every 1000 rpm, but every 1000 rpm in each gear. get a 7-8psi spring, launch on that use it for 2nd as well and ramp to higher boost in 3rd, full boost in 4-5. better than an apexi avcr.

Rufus
06-09-2008, 08:44 AM
but if you don't need to get into the tune yourself or really need boost by gear (who doesn't?), then you can save quite a bit with s100

I can't wait to test out this boost by gear phenomenon

locash
06-09-2008, 09:15 AM
I would also recommend closer to 10:1 compression and the Hondata S300.. For a street car, the higher compression makes the car much more driveable and responsive..

Another thing to mention is that turbo choice is critical, make sure you pick the right turbo for your needs.

MarkyMonroe
06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Daaang that boost controlling theorem your talking about sounds brutal! I would love to do that. Sounds like a really good set up. To do that, its all in the tune right? And yes, it does make sense that having a 10:1 compression would be better for street driving. Thanks for all the info guys. Keep it coming! I LOVE learning.

Rufus
06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Daaang that boost controlling theorem your talking about sounds brutal! I would love to do that. Sounds like a really good set up. To do that, its all in the tune right? And yes, it does make sense that having a 10:1 compression would be better for street driving. Thanks for all the info guys. Keep it coming! I LOVE learning.

You'd love Kpro....

http://i29.tinypic.com/2ush9wn.jpg

MarkyMonroe
06-09-2008, 03:45 PM
You'd love Kpro....

http://i29.tinypic.com/2ush9wn.jpg

Oh yaaa I've heard of Kpro. I'm going to be attending UTI in august so I'm EXCITED!!! All I think about is cars and how much I want to work on them. So, I wanna go into it with knowledge about different parts of the car. I've already learned a lot from people on here since I joined about 6 months ago. Good times

*inFamous*
06-09-2008, 04:41 PM
make sure when ur at UTI ur not one of those kids that dicks off the whole day. Graduating from UTI wont get u anywhere... but taking knowledge from it, will.

MarkyMonroe
06-09-2008, 04:56 PM
make sure when ur at UTI ur not one of those kids that dicks off the whole day. Graduating from UTI wont get u anywhere... but taking knowledge from it, will.

Haha no worries man, I will FERSURE not be one of those kids. If I'm paying money to go to school and learn, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks for the advice ;)

str8boostin808state
06-19-2008, 08:15 PM
damn