PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Car Audio Gurus! (no sound, HU on)

Nate_AP1
06-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey all, i have a very odd problem...the problem itself might be so odd, but i just cant figure it out.

The Problem: No sound, but the HU works fine. Reads CD's, plays them, can switch presets, etc... its just as if its muted (its not :) ).

My Equipment: 2000 Honda S2000, Alpine 9833 HU - added tweeters (w/ crossover) and rear speakers, so...i have 6 speakers where as the regular 00 S2k had just the 2. I inherited it like this, so im learning about this setup as I go. I have no amp, and am using the HU as an amp, there is an amp kit installed but not being used.

What I've done: checked for shorts of the speakers....all read around 4-6 ohms. The crossover however IS shorted across the tweeter leads? Both doors? Im not familiar enough with crossovers well enough to know if thats how they are. But either way, i completely disconnected both of them to remove any short and still nothing. I toggle the internal amp in my HU and you can hear a little static as its turning on and off....so i know the signal is getting to the speakers.

This all started pretty randomly - I had just swapped wheels with my buddy when I noticed it, but....surely that wouldnt have had any effect, im assuming coincidence. Been running fine for the 6 months ive had it!

I'm in Tucson.....if anyone is smart with this kinda stuff (not that im not...but ive tried most everything i can think of...prolly 3-4 hours of troubleshooting) lmk!

Thanks!

bigballsmagerki
06-22-2008, 07:54 PM
well from what i have gathered as i went along this is what I have learned. unplug deck from all speakers. hook up 1 any random working one to see if there is an output on the deck. If not something wrong with deck. if that isnt it and it plays sound go on. Maybe to much amperage being drawn with your set up shutting off the deck. Crossed wire? just test ever individual speaker for sound. best i can do brotha ha. its usually a short, blown speaker, or deck problem

Nate_AP1
06-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Honestly, there would be no question in my mind that it would be the deck (after all the troubleshooting ive done) but my buddy came over with his alpine and I put it in mine and nothing....and then i put mine in his car and it worked!

I DID install a DCI (to make the controls on the dash work) maybe 3 weeks ago, but its been working fine. And it has nothing to do with the speakers, just sends a remote signal to the HU via IR. Seeing as it just kinda happened, makes me think its a component failure....ohming out speakers doesnt lie.

I guess i just gotta keep messing with it....tough to do when my garage is over 100!

bumpstick
06-23-2008, 02:55 PM
i'm in tucson at speedway and swan. if you can bring it in i can check it monday through saturday anytime before 7.

Nate_AP1
06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
^ Ygpm

Stock?
06-23-2008, 11:12 PM
did you test for continuity to ground on all of your speaker leads?
something is putting the deck into protection and it's usually a grounded or blown speaker

you can also start cutting speaker wires until you get sound - the last wire you cut before you get sound is the culprit and you can begin reconnecting all the other wires

once you find the bad wire/wires you can either repair that wire or simply run a new speaker wire to that speaker.

Nate_AP1
06-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Hmmm....just goes to show if you work on something long enough EASY basic troubleshooting step can pass you by :)

Thanks stock.....sure enough my right rear speaker was shorted to ground....what i found amazed me (basically a screw through both speaker wires) as I dont see how it ever worked....

Thanks to you too bump for offering a hand!

Stock?
06-24-2008, 09:50 PM
glad i could help
you are on NA's forum back in ND too, right?

Nate_AP1
06-25-2008, 02:56 PM
damn.....small world, I am.
I grew up in Minot.

dluv-22
07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
i.was.going.2.say.check.ur.wiring.to.the.speakers. ...nevamind