PDA

View Full Version : what is good internal or external wastegate??

Honduhluv
06-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Well im plannin on boostin the teg and ive searched for turbos all ive seen are either internal wastegates on turbos and sum external. Now my question is what is good to use external or internal???

And is a t25 turbo good for stock im not plannin on bumpin the psi so much.

All comments are welcome fellez.

FranktheTank
06-29-2008, 08:20 PM
A internal gate is good if your goin to be runnin stock internals on low boost.
An external is more of an extreme mod for a higher boost set up.
Imo i think a external would be better for any set up.
it gives you much more possiblities when it comes to manifolds, downpipe, turbo, and boost controllers.

Honduhluv
06-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Koo thx can u run both? Or no?

michalo187
06-30-2008, 09:13 AM
A internal gate is good if your goin to be runnin stock internals on low boost.
An external is more of an extreme mod for a higher boost set up.
Imo i think a external would be better for any set up.
it gives you much more possiblities when it comes to manifolds, downpipe, turbo, and boost controllers.

This guy got it. Exactly what he said is what i was thinking.

No you can't run both. I honestly would also go external because I had an internal once and had to upgrade to the external in the end. As for brands Tial is what i use for Wg but turbonetics and some other companies have decent ones as well.

Also rememeber that external come in sizes and springs to control boost so make sure you either get probably a 35 or 38 mm wastegate with like a 7 pound spring probably.

turbo4dr
06-30-2008, 10:50 AM
i would definitely go with an externally gated turbo, simply easier access to boost control

you cant have two wastegates by the way

Honduhluv
06-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Ok just wanted to get that straightin out so external is the way togo. Thx guys.

FranktheTank
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
No problem!

dpd069
07-19-2008, 09:56 PM
a lot of internal wastegates get boost leaks over time as well, the heat expands and contracts the cap and it eventually doesn't fit in the seat anymore.

I have a TIAL external wastegate on an LS1 offroad car and it has been great. Biggest issue is that the gaskets TIAL sends with the wastegate are junk and condensation in the exhaust tube (car runs real rich when cold and pushes a lot of water) eventually ate the gasket.

ICD
07-19-2008, 10:22 PM
man I had a nice hour long coversation wit badchkn about the same dam question and im going to be using an external

ICD
07-19-2008, 10:25 PM
got some good knowledge from here to before I asked to many questions.. http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=12&TopicID=11778&PageMsg=Viewing+Common+Topic