PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade brakes on a 05 Altima

Lil Blue
07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
My mom has an 05 Altima, and her Stock OEM front rotors that came on the car when she bought it new are severly warped. I've seen how she drives and it is not her braking/driving that killed them. Several brake shops have told her that the stock rotors the dealer puts on are cheap and it's normal for them to warp. Several shops have suggesting upgrading her brakes at a cost of around $700 :whatever:

What would be a good 1st and maybe 2nd upgrade for an 05 Altima? Anyone have experience with these cars?

*inFamous*
07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
She doesn't do the right foot drag does she (slightly riding the brakes while moving). From what i've experienced they have more than adequate rotors on them from the factory and it sounds like the brake upgrades = money for the shops and nothing more.

Warping is usually caused by excessive overall heat, not necessarily hard braking, hence i ask if the foot ever drags :)

Lil Blue
07-16-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't believe so, not that I have noticed anyway.

I think I've pretty much decided to do drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on front and back for her, probably a bit overkill, but it should help with the heat aspect. I can't find the braided lines for her car, but I doubt she'll even keep it long enough to justify that upgrade.

Lil Blue
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Bah, She went to Pep Boys and had then change her brakes. :lame:

Tage
07-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Some cars are just designed poorly. My parents have a Chevy Impala and they are anal about not riding the brakes, not stopping hard and even letting them cool slightly before parking. Even with all that, the rotors warp about every 3-6 months. He used to take it to the dealership all the time and then after talking to other Impala owners they all experience the same thing so he just deals with it.