PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing from private sellers

Matt
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
When purchasing a car from a private seller is there any way you can sign a contract with the seller saying that the car hasn't been tampered with like no sealant has been dumped into radiator or anything?

The President
07-23-2008, 04:30 PM
paranoid much?
just inspect the vehicle as best you can and if you come across anything that looks shady ask for a response. If they seem shady with the reply then just don't buy.. it's that easy

indub
07-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Used cars in AZ are sold AS-IS

Buyer beware

taggart_lumpy
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM

Buyer beware

:thumbup:

Matt
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
paranoid much?
just inspect the vehicle as best you can and if you come across anything that looks shady ask for a response. If they seem shady with the reply then just don't buy.. it's that easy

Well, after being screwed over twice, and losing almost 4 grand..

The President
07-23-2008, 04:39 PM
damn, umm maybe shop somewhere other than AZHT then lol, hell craigslist is even bad, if not worse than here. hit up autotrader. Most people that pay to put a car up for sale are usually legit.

Jason.AZ1
07-23-2008, 04:48 PM
How much do you got? Ill sell you my car nothing wrong with it I baby the shit out of it

indub
07-23-2008, 04:50 PM
let me know what you are looking for ;)

MrRline2010
07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Isn't there a law about being sold a lemon, basically a car with problems that aren't exposed? Smartest thing to do is ask him to take it to a mechanic that you trust to inspect the car. I did it when I bought my DA and he did a general check tires,brakes,coolant,leaks, oil, exhaust and so on.

indub
07-23-2008, 05:13 PM
thats only for new cars

Jason.AZ1
07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Isn't there a law about being sold a lemon, basically a car with problems that aren't exposed?

There's a lemon law for dealerships but
lets say I sell you a pos, well good luck...
Buyer beware

Matt
07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
I got 5 grand, I only want to spend 4.2 grand in case something messes up.

tricken
07-23-2008, 05:28 PM
find a shop u trust and have them look at it , most shops can tell u when to stay away from a crack car

Jason.AZ1
07-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I got 5 grand, I only want to spend 4.2 grand in case something messes up.

My homie has a car for sale

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69596
623-205-6516 Zack tell him Jason gave you his number

taggart_lumpy
07-23-2008, 05:41 PM

also :thumbsup:

jake will take care of you

:hello:

jakellama123
07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
pay a reputable shop to do an inspection on the car
and ask the seller about the history of the car and for receipts and car fax it

JDMitation
07-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Well, after being screwed over twice, and losing almost 4 grand..

my family mechanic charges 70 dollars for a full vehicle inspection... i suggest this over making another 4 thousand dollar mistake.

any private seller who is unwilling to drop off their car at a mechanic for inspection is probably too shady to deal with anyways :cool:

The God Damn Batman
07-24-2008, 08:54 AM
My homie has a car for sale

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69596
623-205-6516 Zack tell him Jason gave you his number

saw his car last night i think at the fridays off of happyvalley.

to the OP: just get a shotgun

Medina
07-24-2008, 06:42 PM

most auction cars have problems too, there is a reason they go to auction in the first place...

*inFamous*
07-24-2008, 06:50 PM
most auction cars have problems too, there is a reason they go to auction in the first place...

Lol just look at WHY they are on the block.

I've gotten 3 cars from the auction block now. None with any problems other than minor things like a tear in the seat and such.

Most auctions will tell you where the car came from (bank reposession*, theft recovery, insurance sales, etc etc)

*my favorite type, never got a bad car from this lot.

indub
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
lol go to sun city and buy a 1997 buick lesabre with 6k miles from the old lady

The President
07-24-2008, 11:35 PM
:rflmao:lol go to sun city and buy a 1997 buick lesabre with 6k miles from the old lady

Matt
07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/car/767435304.html

Ryan
07-25-2008, 01:16 AM
You can ask the seller for some type of warranty or get a notarized statement of all drive train in perfect running condition with no problems or your money back etc. I always offer that with any car I buy or at least ask with any car I am interested in buying. If the seller is honest, they have nothing to lose right? Good luck bro.

Jason.AZ1
07-25-2008, 07:25 PM
You can ask the seller for some type of warranty or get a notarized statement of all drive train in perfect running condition with no problems or your money back etc. I always offer that with any car I buy or at least ask with any car I am interested in buying. If the seller is honest, they have nothing to lose right? Good luck bro.

thats cool you do that but
I could sell a car thats 100%perfect and you take it down the road in 10 mins and blow the motor or brake something because the way you drive....
so I mean come on I wouldnt do that for anyone and I would expect anyone to do that for me either....

:rflmao:

blu94tegra
07-25-2008, 08:03 PM
I always seem to get screwed over on the cars i buy, but i've been taking them to the shop before i buy them lately.

90crxsiauto
07-27-2008, 04:34 AM
take them to pep boys it is a public place it is like 40

sssmokin05si
07-27-2008, 04:59 AM
I've had 10 cars, 9 of which I bought used private party and have never been screwed. Just inspect the car over, and take a look at who you are buying it from. Use you judgement and intuition from there.

I mean, if I am looking for an ef hatchback and the listing says something like. "Yo, I got dis 91 hatch dats got a b16 and vtec yo, it's fast it smokes everything on da streets. Never been beat on", I wouldn't even waste my time going to look. And honestly, if I go look at a car I take a look at the owner. You can usually tell what type of person they are, and how they take care of their possessions.

*inFamous*
07-27-2008, 09:48 AM

You can do all that, but in the long run legally, it will not hold up. You may be able to take them to small claims court but will cost you more than its worth as its still a buyers beware state.

Ryan
07-27-2008, 12:10 PM
You can do all that, but in the long run legally, it will not hold up. You may be able to take them to small claims court but will cost you more than its worth as its still a buyers beware state.

X2, Ravi is right, this is a buyer beware state as with nearly all states. However if you have a notarized warranty covering certain items on the vehicle, it will hold up in small claims court. Been there, win every time. Another thing to consider is that as long as you inspect the car or request that a shop of your choice inspect the car, then at least you know what you are getting into. If the seller does not allow you to have it inspected, then they likely have something to hide. Just my two cents bud, good luck with finding a good car. I do not expect the general public to try and screw you with a bad car though. I think you just had some bad luck.;)

Lil Blue
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
..... And honestly, if I go look at a car I take a look at the owner. You can usually tell what type of person they are, and how they take care of their possessions.

I tend to agree, When I buy a used car from a private individual, I usually go 70% based on the car, 30% based on the person. I might be willing to buy a POS if I think I can fix it cheap enough, and the person seems genuine and put together and not trying to hide anything, however I may try to lowball a bit.

If the person is a douche and the car is a POS I walk.

scottsdaleclubin
08-11-2008, 10:41 AM
ask for maintenance records of car that helps or at least shows car's been to a shop !!