PDA

View Full Version : Teaching MMA too young?

boosted muscle
07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I just saw an episode of Outside the Lines on ESPN and it was a special on MMA. They were touching on parents letting young kids train for MMA tournaments. The younger kids are not used to elbows or knee to the head. However, all the submissions and regular strikes are fair game. I think kids should be taught MMA at a younger age just because it teaches them discipline. Some people think it's too violent for kids to experience at that young of an age but I dont see it as a problem. Then again, I dont have kids but I do coach and teach younger kids as a wrestling coach.

what do you guys think?

Mat*speC1
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
im all for it...

pch
07-24-2008, 12:32 PM
My son is 4 and i will be getting him into it and also sign him up for SunKids

redek98
07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
eleminating knees and elbows is an adequate safety precaution... as long as the instructors have the right credentials I think it would be the same as enrolling a child in karate, wrestling, boxing, and any other sport for that matter.

boosted muscle
07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
From the video clips they were showing the submissions were only held for a split second. Pretty much the time it took for the ref to race over and call the fight. For example, one kid put another in an arm bar, By the time he hit the ground with the arm in control the ref was already there to end it.

Owens
07-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't say it teaches discipline, but I do think it would teach kids fighting is better as a form of competition, rather than an act of violence, which is good.

I personally wouldn't let my kids practice MMA, as I think it's not only a stupid form of animal-like but pointless competition, but the damaging effects to his/her body at a stage of development that could perhaps affect them for the rest of their lives is a bad idea.

I did Judo and Wrestling at a pretty young age, and stuck with both. I even picked up Karate when I lived in Okinawa. I'm only 21, and sometimes feel like I have the body of someone much older, due to all the practice falls and the times I've hit the mat. I don't feel like I've accomplished anything really, even with winning first place at international events. Plus, there's only so many bumps the brain can handle until you're resorted to some level of stupid.

Sports are different, and the risk of injury is much less direct than a kid continually taking a punch to the face.

Nothing against MMA'ers, I know its the cool thing to do right now, I personally don't see a point. To each his own.

Owens
07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
From the video clips they were showing the submissions were only held for a split second. Pretty much the time it took for the ref to race over and call the fight. For example, one kid put another in an arm bar, By the time he hit the ground with the arm in control the ref was already there to end it.

Thats not so bad then, really.

wetdreamzdj
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
just like any other sport if you ask me.. When my son is older im going to get him into it...

boosted muscle
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't say it teaches discipline, but I do think it would teach kids fighting is better as a form of competition, rather than an act of violence, which is good.

I personally wouldn't let my kids practice MMA, as I think it's not only a stupid form of animal-like but pointless competition, but the damaging effects to his/her body at a stage of development that could perhaps affect them for the rest of their lives is a bad idea.

I did Judo and Wrestling at a pretty young age, and stuck with both. I even picked up Karate when I lived in Okinawa. I'm only 21, and sometimes feel like I have the body of someone much older, due to all the practice falls and the times I've hit the mat. I don't feel like I've accomplished anything really, even with winning first place at international events. Plus, there's only so many bumps the brain can handle until you're resorted to some level of stupid.

Sports are different, and the risk of injury is much less direct than a kid continually taking a punch to the face.

Nothing against MMA'ers, I know its the cool thing to do right now, I personally don't see a point. To each his own.

I know what you mean about feeling older. I am 22 and I've been wrestling for about 8-9 years now. When I say it teaches them discipline, I say that because martial arts becomes a lifestyle as opposed to a sport. The work ethic it teaches them translates into their school work and relationships. BUt I get where you are coming from.

apSquidFace
07-24-2008, 01:08 PM
cool, they know how to inflict major damage at an earlier age!!!!! this is so good to hear!

Now tell that to the kid that isnt getting trained that pisses off the immature preschooler.

boosted muscle
07-24-2008, 01:20 PM
cool, they know how to inflict major damage at an earlier age!!!!! this is so good to hear!

Now tell that to the kid that isnt getting trained that pisses off the immature preschooler.

well yeah i guess training the kids with "combat" skills is gonna affect them in different ways. I just thikn it's also WHO teaches them. My wrestlers are aggressive on the mat but they know better then to use their skills of the mat. If you teach the kids to respect the art and their opponents, I feel it helps the kids grow stronger both mentally and physically. Yeah there's the chance of them getting hurt but they could also get hurt playing tackle football, or playing soccer and falling on their face.

Chinky
07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
mma = ?

boosted muscle
07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
mma = ?

MMA = Mixed Martial Arts

AKA UFC, Pride Fighting, K1, International Fight League. just to give a few examples.

Rufus
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Ya it's bullsheet

Chinky
07-24-2008, 01:36 PM
MMA = Mixed Martial Arts

AKA UFC, Pride Fighting, K1, International Fight League. just to give a few examples.

so like van damme in lionheart?

apSquidFace
07-24-2008, 01:38 PM
well yeah i guess training the kids with "combat" skills is gonna affect them in different ways. I just thikn it's also WHO teaches them. My wrestlers are aggressive on the mat but they know better then to use their skills of the mat. If you teach the kids to respect the art and their opponents, I feel it helps the kids grow stronger both mentally and physically. Yeah there's the chance of them getting hurt but they could also get hurt playing tackle football, or playing soccer and falling on their face.

So if for some reason they get into a fight, you honestly believe that the majority of the kids you train wont use the skills being taught to them? The skills can seriously injure someone that doesnt know how to defend themselves against such things? It seems like your faith may be blinding reality.

personally i think that this is a horrible horrible idea.

boosted muscle
07-24-2008, 02:28 PM
So if for some reason they get into a fight, you honestly believe that the majority of the kids you train wont use the skills being taught to them? The skills can seriously injure someone that doesnt know how to defend themselves against such things? It seems like your faith may be blinding reality.

personally i think that this is a horrible horrible idea.

You may feel my faith is blinding my opinion but I am also taking in consideration that these sports are not for everyone. I grew up playing non contact sports such as baseball and then made the move to wrestling in high school. My biggest thing is that the kids are taught the right way. Just because they know a martial art doesn't mean they have to use it outside the wrestling room, gym, dojo, etc... I wouldn't want my kids going around and being arrogant just because they have dedicated training that others dont. However, if they are in a situation were the skills are being used to defend themselves then that's a dfferent story.

apSquidFace
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
You may feel my faith is blinding my opinion but I am also taking in consideration that these sports are not for everyone. I grew up playing non contact sports such as baseball and then made the move to wrestling in high school. My biggest thing is that the kids are taught the right way. Just because they know a martial art doesn't mean they have to use it outside the wrestling room, gym, dojo, etc... I wouldn't want my kids going around and being arrogant just because they have dedicated training that others dont. However, if they are in a situation were the skills are being used to defend themselves then that's a dfferent story.

Defending yourself and going overboard because that is what you were trained to do; seriously injuring someone or killing them are two different things.

Young kids like this dont understand the concept of knowing when enough is enough...i was a kid once i know as im sure you do as well. i did some stupid shit that i look back on and want nothing more than to go back and smack myself for.

Now i know this MMA shit is all the rage and im sure having a bad ass kid is the next biggest trend....however i think its border line irresponsible to let young immature kids train like this. Perhaps this is why i dont want kids i dont know, but damn kids are getting scarier and scarier every year.

boosted muscle
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Defending yourself and going overboard because that is what you were trained to do; seriously injuring someone or killing them are two different things.

Young kids like this dont understand the concept of knowing when enough is enough...i was a kid once i know as im sure you do as well. i did some stupid shit that i look back on and want nothing more than to go back and smack myself for.

Now i know this MMA shit is all the rage and im sure having a bad ass kid is the next biggest trend....however i think its border line irresponsible to let young immature kids train like this. Perhaps this is why i dont want kids i dont know, but damn kids are getting scarier and scarier every year.

yeah i agree with you. going overboard is the problem. In the end, it's the kids choice on what to do no matter what the training if any. An untrained person can take it too far just as well. Being trained doesn't always mean you'll win the fight either. shit now days, you'll be lucky to be able to use hand skills in a fight most of the time it's you vs a gun. kids are scary.

Heist
07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
so like van damme in lionheart?

:clapper:

96SupraTT
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I just saw an episode of Outside the Lines on ESPN and it was a special on MMA. They were touching on parents letting young kids train for MMA tournaments. The younger kids are not used to elbows or knee to the head. However, all the submissions and regular strikes are fair game. I think kids should be taught MMA at a younger age just because it teaches them discipline. Some people think it's too violent for kids to experience at that young of an age but I dont see it as a problem. Then again, I dont have kids but I do coach and teach younger kids as a wrestling coach.

what do you guys think?

I began kenpo at around 6, stopped going when I was ~13-ish. Was a fun thing to do and kept my head on straight and my mind focused.

You really have to evaluate your kid on a day to day basis. He starts acting like a punk, you pull him out of that shit with the quickness. If he shows maturity in handling it, then let him do it although I would think martial arts would be a less damaging substitute. MMA is a lot tougher on the body than your standard martial arts with the heavy use of joint manipulation/submission.